Whats your favorite tortoise?

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can't really tell from the pic but is that a red foot or yellow foot?Even though neither live in the desert.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My little girl, Vivian, wants a turtle, but her Dad doesn't like turtles. So, we just started to research tortoises this past month. How big does that Russian get and how long does it live? We've only just finished reading a book on sulcatas and I don't think we can handle one that will get as large as a sulcata!!!!!! Also, any tips on other tortoises you all have or love would be appreciated. (What a timely thread for us!)

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I love the look of sulcatas and radiated torts...however bein in an apartment :( No room for one at present.

One of these days I will have a tortise corral in my hard :D

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Highlander said:
Can't really tell from the pic but is that a red foot or yellow foot?Even though neither live in the desert.
Neither, he is a Gopherus agassizii aka Desert Tortoise. I've had him since 1992 and he was hatched in 1988. We adopted two but they are both males and once they got territorial, I had to find a home for the more aggressive male. John

Last edited:

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the link on Russian Tortoises! I added it to "favorites". At least it's the right size. Also, we have weeds, weeds, weeds, and they are even the right type of weeds! It looks like some pen/burrow prep will be in order if we decide to get one. Did you prepare much for Stoli?

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually we have desert tortoises out here in New Mexico though they are pretty rare :(

Quiet-1

Arachnopeon
Elizabeth....I did make sure I had everything set up before I got him. Since he was so small when I got him, he was kept in an enclosure he had plenty of room to explore in. Used the sand/bead-a-beast mixture and a half log and wood to break up his line of sight. He gets a soak but I do not keep water in with him. He is a picky eater meaning that if he does not like sometthing, he will eat around it. When he was big enough I would let him out on the balcony to explore in the sun. When I move I am planning on building him a tort table that will be his new (final) home. Just be careful with weeds so that they were not sprayed with any chemicals. You can actually find most of the leafy greens at most grocery stores, and I also grow flowers that occasionally get clipped for snacks! All said, I really love his little curious personality and persistance.

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We have an African Spur thigh that weighs about 40 pounds, and is 17 inches long. He has such a sweet personality. When people come into the shop they can't get over how big he is. He isn't head shy at all, he lets anybody pet him on the head. He has even given a 3-month old a ride. We also have had russians, and yellow-foot. I like all of them. But Big Al is my favorite. I had a smaller one that I named Lela, she was about 8 inches, but unfortunately Ron sold her a couple of weeks ago. I really miss her. She was head-shy though. I know to own on of these you definetly need room. Take care, Pam