Whats the most valuable tarantula out there?

jgerou85

Arachnopeon
Pretty much what the title says, what do you guys think the most valuable tarantula is right now, And how much is it worth?

Last edited:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Adult females of any of the following are commanding a pretty high price right now in the states. ~$300 - $400 range.
Brachypelma klaasi
Poecilotheria metallica
Monocentropus balfouri
Idiothele mira
Cost is determined by demand and availability. The worth is how much an individual is willing to pay for what they want/need.

philge

Arachnosquire
The most valuable T is one that you haven't heard of. There are people out there who would pay beaucoup bucks for a new and exotic T for their collection. Sure, M. balfouri is kind of expensive right now but it's still available from a number of dealers. The tarantulas that people will pay the most money for are the ones that are pretty much unavailable. It also helps if it's a particularly interesting tarantula with bright colors.

A good example of one of these Ts I'd think would be something like Typhochlaena costae. This species was discovered in 2012 in Brazil. It was thought that there was only one species in genus Typhochlaena, but several new species were only just discovered. Typhochlaena costae is quite beautiful, with fantastic colors and patterns: http://i.livescience.com/images/i/000/032/844/original/tarantula3.jpg?1351633704 I can only imagine what people would pay for a T like this in The States.

Tarantino andTs

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I would gladly pay a few grand for the T Costae, I have been stalking them online since they were discovered, but I have been unable to find a dealer who can provide one.

The most valuable T is one that you haven't heard of. There are people out there who would pay beaucoup bucks for a new and exotic T for their collection. Sure, M. balfouri is kind of expensive right now but it's still available from a number of dealers. The tarantulas that people will pay the most money for are the ones that are pretty much unavailable. It also helps if it's a particularly interesting tarantula with bright colors.

A good example of one of these Ts I'd think would be something like Typhochlaena costae. This species was discovered in 2012 in Brazil. It was thought that there was only one species in genus Typhochlaena, but several new species were only just discovered. Typhochlaena costae is quite beautiful, with fantastic colors and patterns: http://i.livescience.com/images/i/000/032/844/original/tarantula3.jpg?1351633704 I can only imagine what people would pay for a T like this in The States.

Cydaea

Arachnosquire
It also differs between countries. I've seen US people complain about how expensive some species are, yet I can get those for a few bucks... I got P.irminia slings for €3 (about $4) and saw a P.metallica sling for €30 ($40). I haven't seen M.balfouri for sale here yet so I'm willing to bet those cost an arm and a leg here too.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I want to point out that adult female balfouri do not cost $1100 here in Canada (at least right now, I don't know if they ever did). Not even close.

$200 is a little on the expensive side for slings too.

Last edited:

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I totally agree with you. Like i said, on the video he said 1100 bucks. But I did go to the expo and the slings were about .75 to 1" running at 200.

In one of his prior threads. Went to the same expo as me.

I paid $175 for the Balfouri. Of course pretty pricey but I've seen one at a typical pet store for $300. Plus, the cheapest I've seen them in Canada was online for $125 at a 1/4" specimen.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The most valuable T? What, did you just win the lottery?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It also differs between countries. I've seen US people complain about how expensive some species are, yet I can get those for a few bucks... I got P.irminia slings for €3 (about $4) and saw a P.metallica sling for €30 ($40). I haven't seen M.balfouri for sale here yet so I'm willing to bet those cost an arm and a leg here too.
Not too long ago, someone on your side of the big water posted about getting M. balfouri slings for about $7 (seven) dollars a piece. (Wanted to clarify that I hadn't omitted out a zero. LOL)

---------- Post added 05-10-2013 at 12:17 PM ----------

Yeah, I would gladly pay a few grand for the T Costae
:eek: Even if I had a large chunk of money to spend on spiders, I would not spend it on a single individual.

With rare species, especially those whose environment is threatened, the 'cost and worth' to the ecosystem is greater than the monetary expenditure of a collector/hobbyist.

tony119

Arachnopeon
I never thought that T's is so expensive there at america.
If you said that M.Balfouri is 1100 dollars that would be 44,695php. LOL
I can buy M.Balfouri here in philippines at 3000php or 75 dollars. :)
I think M.Balfouri and P.Muticus are the priciest here at philippines. they have the same price. :)

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

You beat me to it. I was going to say almost the exact same thing.

People want what no one else has is basically the rule. That's why C. hillyardi is so expensive. By no means a new species, but from what I understand it only recently made its way to the states.

Absolutely awesome looking spider by the way. I would be interested to get my hands on one!

Bugmom

Arachnolord
In one of jonn's videos on youtube he said MF's were going for 1100 dollars. I think slings at the last expo i was at were going for 200 a piece. Or close to it.
Wow. I got a 1" M. balfouri sling at an expo in Texas for $85.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow. I got a 1" M. balfouri sling at an expo in Texas for $85.
You have to realize that there is a bigger market for Tarantulas in the states. You have way more people. The hobby here is pretty small. You're lucky to see two venders, let alone one at an expo. I can only name two venders off the top of my head. Where as in the states I could name a few more than two.

philge

Arachnosquire
You're lucky to see two venders, let alone one at an expo.
I really don't think it's much different here in the states. Believe me, I've been to my fair share of expos only to be disappointed that there's not a single tarantula dealer there! Most of the expos that I've been to have somewhere between 0 and 3 tarantula people there and seeing 3 is uncommon.

I also don't have any friends in real life who are into this hobby. I think that the whole tarantula thing is just unusual in pretty much every country.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I really don't think it's much different here in the states. Believe me, I've been to my fair share of expos only to be disappointed that there's not a single tarantula dealer there! Most of the expos that I've been to have somewhere between 0 and 3 tarantula people there and seeing 3 is uncommon.

I also don't have any friends in real life who are into this hobby. I think that the whole tarantula thing is just unusual in pretty much every country.

God bless europe :biggrin: