What's the different between Aphonopelma sp.cana blue and Aphonopelma mooreae?How much is it?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I don't think anyone has an answer for you. I have never heard of Aphonopelma sp. Cana Blue myself.

Yifei Miao

Arachnopeon

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Thia is the only decent reference I could find about it and it questions the validity of the species, nice looking T which ever it is @AphonopelmaTX
http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/aphonopelma-sp-cana.31746/
Oh, very nice. I should have used the search feature. o_O

You know, the problem I have with Aphonopelma mooreae is that the original description by Andrew Smith in 1995 describes the male as being "dark blackish/brown with bronze/coppery pubescence on the carapace. Rusty red setae on legs and abdomen" but yet all pictures of it shows it as being iridescent green/ blue with rust colored setae on the abdomen and legs. How that association was made is beyond me. This thread though did prompt me to send an e-mail to a pro so maybe there will be an answer.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Oh, very nice. I should have used the search feature. o_O

You know, the problem I have with Aphonopelma mooreae is that the original description by Andrew Smith in 1995 describes the male as being "dark blackish/brown with bronze/coppery pubescence on the carapace. Rusty red setae on legs and abdomen" but yet all pictures of it shows it as being iridescent green/ blue with rust colored setae on the abdomen and legs. How that association was made is beyond me. This thread though did prompt me to send an e-mail to a pro so maybe there will be an answer.
To me the picture in the gallery link looks a lot like the pic on Ricks web site for A. anitahoffmannae?
http://birdspiders.com/gallery/index.php/Tarantulas/birdspiders_0430

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just to add, these were sold in Germany as spiderlings at Marbach (Stuttgart) exchange in October 2014, along with Bonnetina spec Chamela. So, the idea that China got them first is i think wrong, the ones i saw were a bunch of fresh spiderlings only a few days/weeks after hatching - and yes Chris - it wasn't germans who had them for sale. The lesson here i think about the Chinese power though is their spending power and willingness to import rarities (likely at high cost), not their collecting prowess.
I can't add anthing on identification as no idea where were collected, nor do i have a decent idea how they look like except for that photo above, but it doesn't strike me as being very closely related to A. anitahoffmannae, but guessing from photos isn't the way to do taxonomy!