Whats so bad about hybrids?

Pink-Poodle88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally, I don't see much of a problem with it, but I probably wouldn't ever do it myself for my own personal reasons. However, I don't feel I have the right to judge whether or not somebody else should do it, and nobody else really does either. Most of the arguments against it are based off of some rather ridiculous and self centered "reasons" in my opinion, I mean it's only logical to assume that "crossbreeding" occurs in nature every now and then anyways. Such ways are actually how species spread and how new ones are born over time in the first place. If it occurs in nature, why not try it in captivity too? That's the way I see it.

If you did ever do it, it'd probably be best not to sell them, or at least make sure anybody who buys them knows that they're crossbred. I think that's the only real reason that it'd be a bad thing, unidentified species entering the pet trade and being misidentified, sold as something they're not, and so on. I mean there's already enough confusion as it is since arachnids and arthropods in general are so amazingly diverse, crossbreeding has the potential to only make it worse, but I suppose that the same could be said about a variety of other things. Overall, personally I think if one wants to try it, let them try it, but just be careful and responsible about it.

imjim

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Somebody will do it and some will hate it, some will love it and all will buy it when its popular.

After all someone long ago decided to bag a bug and bring home and here we are discussing the next option. . .

Last edited:

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't see the point in it.. these things have been roaming our planet for longer than we even can imagine, they're perfectly built for what they do, perfectly adapted and its just typical bloody humans to wanna go and mess it up. So you guys that support hybridism, apparently for your own studies. Say you cross a B. vagans with a B. albopilosum.. what are you going to do with possibly 1000 hybrid spiderlings?? Look after all 1000 to adult hood? Sell them? (either labelled as hybrids or not...) Feed them to things? Unless you're willing to keep all 1000 to study on then what's the point? Seeing 2 brightly coloured spiders that you know are different mating and possibly killing each other (not to mention if the offspring is viable possibly wiping out species if everyone had your attitude to it!) just for a thrill?? Why not just mate lividums? The male is bland and the female is brightly coloured, job done and no harm done!

I think anybody that is a real tarantula enthusiast would not even think of hybridizing anything (and certainly not agree with it!) Personally i see each spider as an individual and i think they're gorgeous in their own way...as they are!!! No added colours, species... Look at the mess the poor avics are in due to our human ways of being nosey and interfering with nature! And try to find a real Brachypelma vagans now too.. not many about unless they're WC! Then that goes into the whole WC vs CB argument and it goes round in circles. I vote leave them as they are. I'm sure if you bought a spider.. ok say you paid $200 for a brand new P. smithi, only just available in the hobby, bred by some muppet who had other pokies... Now how would you feel if you sent the moult to someone to sex and it came back that it was infact fasciata x regalis ? Formosa x fasciata ? Happy.. i think not! I'll always encourage people to stray well away from this subject if you're serious about the protection and conservation of tarantulas.... as they are!

josh_cloud

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if we as the human species keep breeding as we do, there will be no nature....
and therefore no t's in nature. read what is happening to the habitat of the pokies throughout india. this situation exists all over the world. here in the united states, our elected officials randomly sell off land at the borders of our constitutionally protected national forests. i say let hybridization happen, but first, we need to establish a registration system for our pureblood lines. then we would know exactly where our spiders come from. something along the lines of the akc, but for spiders.
as for the example of the p. irminia and p. cambridgei, our forefathers weren't all that attentive as to what species of animal accompanied them on their journeys. perhaps a gravid p. irminia was in a crate of bananas that got dropped off on the island of trinidad and the p. cambridgei is the result of a couple hundred years evolution. with spiders having a new generation every year or so, isn't this idea possible?
just a few things to think about. the species we now have would not be here without hybridization.:?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Let's see if someone can spot the much larger error I threw in there to make a point.
Besides spelling cambridgei wrong?;)

And I think we should wait before saying irminia and cambridgei can successfully hybridize, far as I know, it hasn't created living offspring yet.

-Sean

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Creating a new variety from hybridation is far from easy. Traits obtained from dog breeds and al took several generations
Dogs are all the same fracking species and mutts aren't effin' hybrids. Anyone who claims otherwise is a moron or a scam artist selling their three thousand dollar maltilabrapoos to everyone gullible enough to fall for it.

imjim

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It seems to me its a done deal.

As someone has already snatched as many bugs as they can and stuffed them into a bag and transported them 12,000 miles away. It seems to me that this may in time have an effect on the species?

Last edited:

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The problem with hybrids is that anyone who thinks its a good idea is to damn lazy to use the search function and see that it has been argued to death, and making this thread does little more than instigate an old argument.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I support you 100%

hybridize away! I don't think many people have tried it to begin with.

Just one of those things like people say you shouldn't handle your T.

whatever man.
and Am 100%with you
why not, I'd love to have a few hybrids, of course it wuld be only shelf arrangement
I know alots of peeps here against hybrids but that is their views
also I know sum peeps who did it and kept it to themselfs been afraid to get linched crucified and burned here for it
also if sumone do that just say that he did it so
wouldnt be to bad
I know I know, here is the question how you can keep track of all spiders what they are who they from and so on
well we just have to do it and there is the way
Just my 2 cents to this

have a wonderful day, Anastasia

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dogs are all the same fracking species and mutts aren't effin' hybrids. Anyone who claims otherwise is a moron or a scam artist selling their three thousand dollar maltilabrapoos to everyone gullible enough to fall for it.

Some people call crosses between breeds hybrids, but the term is then scientificaly incorrect.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as for the example of the p. irminia and p. cambridgei, our forefathers weren't all that attentive as to what species of animal accompanied them on their journeys. perhaps a gravid p. irminia was in a crate of bananas that got dropped off on the island of trinidad and the p. cambridgei is the result of a couple hundred years evolution. with spiders having a new generation every year or so, isn't this idea possible?
just a few things to think about. the species we now have would not be here without hybridization.:?
I actually believe that some current species might be hybrids of past species that went extinct. Like the psalmo genus, they might be the descendants of some Cyriopagopus sp kind of bug brought unknowingly by south asian aboriginals landing there after a Kon Tiki type ride!!!:D

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am thinking a Red White & Blue arboreal baboon thats eats fruit with venom that causes euphoria ; )
Yeah, one that waltzes to the Star-Spangled Banner! :clap:

If tarantulas were out in the wild, I'm sure that there would be a case every now and then of accidental mating between different species. The chances of that happening, who knows? It would definitely be interesting to find out.

-Sarah

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If I breed a scorpion with a tarantula should I call the babies 'SCORPULAS'? :D

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Artificially creating hybrids is nothing short of mental and ego masturbation...and as it is in all cases of masturbation, its selfish, done ultimatly to only make you feel good....and leaves a mess!

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Reply to hybridization thread #1124677-56b

Because the taxonomy of multiple genus is in shambles already, by willfully creating hybrids you are adding to the chaos. If you decide to do it, be willing to hold onto all the slings to be sure you do not contaminate the gene pool. I have read posts from people who are or have done this. They seem responsible enough to know what they are doing. The majority of people seem to want to make a buck, and this is how our hobby gets ruined.

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most of the arguments against it are based off of some rather ridiculous and self centered "reasons" in my opinion, I mean it's only logical to assume that "crossbreeding" occurs in nature every now and then anyways.
It doesn't happen in nature, that's the point. Say you have species A and B and if you mate them you get a fertile species C. But since it could happen in nature it's OK right? What if the species are separated by a mountain range or species B is only found on one island? Could it still happen in nature?

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The problem with hybrids is that anyone who thinks its a good idea is to damn lazy to use the search function and see that it has been argued to death, and making this thread does little more than instigate an old argument.
I think this thread has been pretty objective and apart from the few people who screamed thread closure or who are just saying things are "stupid" without really applying any valid arguments, I think that it is a good one. Both sides are being represented in a clear and adult manner. I haven't bothered to do a search, and I don't care to. This is the current community. I would bet that most likely from the way things sound, they were just flame wars and in which case they were failed threads. I am not a proponent for crossbreeding, however I am an aponent for not allowing someone to have clear information without being afraid that a riot will ensue. Besides, someone might actually learn something and perhaps even have an opinion change. Who knows, that's the beuty of dialogue. Otherwise lets just have a sticky that tells everyone just what and how they they are supposed to think on any given issue, no discussion, and we can save some bandwidth.

--Chris