What's my t's worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonpink

Arachnopeon
Been awhile sense I have posted. Not sure if this is the rite section. I have a 4.5 p. Metallica thought to be female and a 6 p facsiata confirmed female. More less a feeler but to sell them what are they worth. Thanks

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They're worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Look around pricelists online, post an ad, and find out.

Tgrip77

Arachnosquire
the P metallica isnt worth more than $150 since it is possible to turn into a MM with the next molt....wait to sell it after it molts and you know for sure what sex it is. then id price her at 375-425...if its a fresh MM...125-150

the facsiata could sell for over 125

@poec54 & formerphobe...answer the question the best you can...im so sick of seeing you people taking the time to answer people's Q's with "do the research, why should we do it for you...bla bla bla" if you dont want to give a worthy answer, move on to another Q/chat thread. and this goes for viper69 as well...before he shows up and tells us about the search feature.

Last edited:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
They're worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Look around pricelists online, post an ad, and find out.
This is a very valid answer, if someone is willing to pay $500 its worth that amount if someone is willing to pay only $300 That's what it's worth.

There's NO exact price point on ANY tarantula when different people are willing to pay different prices for the same species.

Tgrip77

Arachnosquire
This is a very valid answer, if someone is willing to pay $500 its worth that amount if someone is willing to pay only $300 That's what it's worth.

There's NO exact price point on ANY tarantula when different people are willing to pay different prices for the same species.
he's asking what the current ballpark price is for such specimens...not what some doofus may or may not pay. poec gave the runaround answer...NOT a valid answer

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
Usually for pricing T's I'll try to find out what the average price is for 1" slings and then I'll multiply the price times inches. For instance I have two 5" female P. Metallicas and I know that the average price of a 1" sling is around $120. So to be fair I would say $100 x 5" = $500 and then I would make adjustments from there. My females are actually closer to 5 1/2" so I would estimate them being around $500 each and consider this as being a pretty fair estimate. It also depends on how quickly you want to sell them too. Also, depending on demand I would adjust the price up or down if need be. This is how I calculate most of my T's but not all. It really just depends on the genus and species.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@poec54 & formerphobe...answer the question the best you can...im so sick of seeing you people taking the time to answer people's Q's with "do the research, why should we do it for you...bla bla bla" if you dont want to give a worthy answer, move on to another Q/chat thread. and this goes for viper69 as well...before he shows up and tells us about the search feature.
Well, I don't know who peed in your Cheerios this morning, but there's not a blamed thing wrong with doing your own research, just as I have done recently on a species I'm interested in. Prices will vary per area, breeder, distributor, local pick up versus shipping, and, if local, if the enclosure comes with it. Cruising the classifieds is the best way to get a ballpark idea what different species of different sizes are going for. Just as Jones said, "There's NO exact price point on ANY tarantula when different people are willing to pay different prices for the same species." Suggesting a trip through the classifieds was a 'worthy' answer, IMO. But then, opinions are like anal orifices, everyone has one. If you don't like the responses, don't read them. And have a wonderful day. :)

Tgrip77

Arachnosquire
@giz

i would disagree that a 6" gooty is worth more than a 5"er....because, at least you will know for sure the 5"er is young and will soon be prime for breeding. but the 6"er could be 10 years old for all you know

same goes for males...id be more willing to buy a penult gooty for 125 rather than a mature male for 75...just because youll know for sure the penult isnt near death

---------- Post added 04-27-2014 at 05:40 PM ----------

Well, I don't know who peed in your Cheerios this morning, but there's not a blamed thing wrong with doing your own research, just as I have done recently on a species I'm interested in. Prices will vary per area, breeder, distributor, local pick up versus shipping, and, if local, if the enclosure comes with it. Cruising the classifieds is the best way to get a ballpark idea what different species of different sizes are going for. Just as Jones said, "There's NO exact price point on ANY tarantula when different people are willing to pay different prices for the same species." Suggesting a trip through the classifieds was a 'worthy' answer, IMO. But then, opinions are like anal orifices, everyone has one. If you don't like the responses, don't read them. And have a wonderful day. :)
how do you think all that info got there in the first place? it wasnt by telling inquiring minds to go do the research. and todays price will probably differ from a year ago or what ever info he may come across. the best way for OP to get a good ballpark figure is to do exactly as he did and it will also create knowledge for future researchers such as yourself
...if he's lucky and the hobby for that matter, many people will ring in with what theyd' pay or think its worth....AND NOT tell him to go look elsewhere

Last edited:

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
@giz

i would disagree that a 6" gooty is worth more than a 5"er....because, at least you will know for sure the 5"er is young and will soon be prime for breeding. but the 6"inch could be 10 years old for all you know

same goes for males...id be more willing to buy a penult gooty for 125 rather than a mature male for 75...just because youll know for sure the penult isnt near death
That depends on whether or not you are the one that raised it from a sling or not and have all the molt records to prove the growth rate to a potential buyer. Also, that is a rough "estimate." Like I said it depends on the species and some other factors as well. That's why I said I would give or take depending on circumstances. That's where what poec said makes perfect sense, "They're worth what someone is willing to pay for them." Obviously you wouldn't spend that much on that particular T but others would. It all comes down to what someone else is willing to pay for what they want.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
[/COLOR]
how do you think all that info got there in the first place? it wasnt by telling inquiring minds to go do the research. and todays price will probably differ from a year ago or what ever info he may come across. the best way for OP to get a good ballpark figure is to do exactly as he did and it will also create knowledge for future researchers such as yourself
...if he's lucky and the hobby for that matter, many people will ring in with what theyd' pay or think its worth....AND NOT tell him to go look elsewhere
If I were researching prices, I wouldn't go to an isolated inquiring thread that will be 'old' next week. I would look at the current classifieds, not those from a year ago, or even 3 months ago. Prices fluctuate.
To date, discounting equivalent trades on slings that I've raised, I've never paid more than $100 for any spider, and that was an isolated incident for a confirmed female of a species typically listed for two to three times that.
Many private advertisers will add 'OBO' or, after zero responses to their ad you'll see a 'sale price', or 'shipping included', etc.
When I want to sell spiders, I look through the recent classifieds to get an idea what others are currently selling same size and species for. If I want to move them along, I go a shade lower than average going price or offer a multi-purchase discount. If I want to get a better price and don't mind holding on to said spiders for awhile, I list for higher. I would never consult a thread under 'Chat' to get an average price. I've never had any problem moving 'overstock' along, and I've never lost any money on a trade or sale, or combination thereof.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Prices vary depending on a lot of factors, even on the same day, all you have to do is look at the variation in price lists and classified ads. There are no fixed prices. A lot depends on how fast the person wants to sell it, what his overhead is, and how bad the buyer wants it. In the classfieds there's people asking ridiculously high prices, and other people blowing them out. Some sit on their spiders for many months. Another factor is how many are on the market, and that's a moving target depending on what's hatching out. Individuals & dealers don't always get the asking price either.

Nice of you to drop by with your charm and flattery. While you're 'so sick' of us, we on the other hand, find that it's a pleasure hearing from such a nice person who admits he's only in it for the money.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To the OP:

I've seen them range on "average" about $100/inch, sometimes more in N.America.

One other factor which MAY help the OP. In sexing P. rufilata (this MAY apply to P. metallica and others of this genus) you can look at them ventrally by at least 2" and with males there is a dot, a physically raised portion of the exoskeleton, that is typically located between the anterior book lungs. I know the "dot" method of ventral sexing can be used for at least one other Poki species. If I remember Poec's words correctly, he said it can be used for P. metallica as well.

In the famous paraphrased words of Tgrip77 "I'm so sick of Poec54, Formerphobe and Viper69....that I have to tell you people that I'm sick of you" HAHAHAHAH :clown:

I can always count on you for comic relief. I'm not an expert like Tgrip77 is on P metallica pricing, lord knows I don't know how he was born with P. metallica prices etched into his lateral sulcus.

How did I come up with that $100/inch answer? I used Google, Yahoo, found T dealers, emailed/spoke to them, I used our trusty AB forum too.

What I'm about to write is really my BIG secret, mojo sauce recipe (even the National Security Agency doesn't know!) that I'm letting out of the bag on how I learned this P metallica estimate, I used the SEARCH feature of the internet.

Last edited:

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
To the OP:

I've seen them range on "average" about $100/inch, sometimes more in N.America.

One other factor which MAY help the OP. In sexing P. rufilata (this MAY apply to P. metallica and others of this genus) you can look at them ventrally by at least 2" and with males there is a dot, a physically raised portion of the exoskeleton, that is typically located between the anterior book lungs. I know the "dot" method of ventral sexing can be used for at least one other Poki species. If I remember Poec's words correctly, he said it can be used for P. metallica as well.

In the famous paraphrased words of Tgrip77 "I'm so sick of Poec54, Formerphobe and Viper69....that I have to tell you people that I'm sick of you" HAHAHAHAH :clown:

I can always count on you for comic relief. I'm not an expert like Tgrip77 is on P metallica pricing, lord knows I don't know how he was born with P. metallica prices etched into his lateral sulcus.

How did I come up with that $100/inch answer? I used Google, Yahoo, found T dealers, emailed/spoke to them, I used our trusty AB forum too.

What I'm about to write is really my BIG secret, mojo sauce recipe (even the National Security Agency doesn't know!) that I'm letting out of the bag on how I learned this P metallica estimate, I used the SEARCH feature of the internet.
LOL! I love it. I get a good laugh on here at least every other day.

Tgrip77

Arachnosquire
hilarious...i cant wait to see the entire get along gang thank/like your comment.
for chits and giggles...you should try and search the word "search" here on AB...see how many of your posts (other smartbutts) come up :)

and even if your master, poec54 told you its ok ....you shouldnt be encouraging ventral sexing for somebody thats looking to sell a suspected female P metallica...there is a good chance somebody may get screwed out of a couple hundred bucks

cold blood

Staff member
What's hilarious is that when buying ANYTHING, doing a little (free) research is how one would decide the going rate.

I am pretty good at understanding t pricing, but its only because I am constantly checking a multitude of dealers and the classifieds. If you don't do your research, how do you know when a good deal pops up? How would you know when something is a great deal or grossly overpriced? Doing a little free research is the only way to reliably find the going rates. If I don't search around for that info, I could feasibly come across (just an example, not real) a H. pulchripes for $150 and think its a crazy high price and pass on it without consideration...but because I do the research I would instantly realize that price was actually incredibly low for the species and recognize it as a very good buy.

Keeping up on t pricing is as easy as taking 10 minutes a day and browsing multiple price lists, do that little bit on a regular basis and you will never "wonder" what your t or any t is worth.

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
So first I completely understand why someone would post here asking what his Ts are worth, it's so that he can say that they are worth XXX amount of dollars because so and so said so. Or it's to let people know in an offhanded way what they have.
On the other hand when my 11 year old daughter comes to me and says "the xxx T is doing xxx, is that normal"? Ill respond with "Hrmm, I dunno why don't you look it up"? And she does, and shes happy that she figured it out herself... Or that she window shops Ts on the internet and has a notebook of wish list Ts with printed pictures and country of origin. All listed with scientific names, she uses the scientific names because she says it important so that if she needs to ask a question about a specific species, people know what you are talking about and can answer your question better, which she learned from reading here. All this was learned using the internet search or a search here on the boards. So if an 11 year old can look up info on the internet, it must not be that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.