What's a good....?

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Scorp that's small enough to keep in a small kritter keeper, needs sand (but doesn't burrow), and won't kill/maim/etc.?

Just in case I get a bug up my arse to get another immediately after getting the new one :D

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Hottentotta sp. and Mesobuthis martensii are the two that pop to mind. Both are somewhat hot, though.

Cheers,
Dave

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
No. No hot scorps for me. I'm horribly unlucky, and as I've mentioned before, I don't live alone. So that's out of the question. There are no small scorps with venom similar to emps?

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Vaejovis sp. Some of them live in deserts but others live in a more grassland type setup. Paruoctonus is good, but slightly bigger than the others.

Cheers,
Dave

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Vaejovis sp. Some of them live in deserts but others live in a more grassland type setup. Paruoctonus is good, but slightly bigger than the others.

Cheers,
Dave
And those have a very mild venom?

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know what they feel like, but they are far from life threatening. All the medically significant species are in the Buthidae family (and potentialy some spin-off families, but that is another matter). If you want incredibly mild venom, go to the Liochelidae family (formerly Ischuridae). None of them meet your criteria, though. Scorpionidae is what your emp is ... once again, not really meeting your requirement. That leaves Vaejovidae and Iuridae as the commonly kept families. The available Iuridae tend to be too large. That leaves Vaejovidae.

Cheers,
Dave

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, "far from life threatening" is good, however, it still doesn't sound as mild as I'd like. Perhaps I'll wait till I gain more confidence/experience.

Thanks anyway.

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Nick,

According to some who have been stung by P.imperator they hurt like a *insert obscene phrase of your choice.* Conversely, I've heard reports that L.quinquestriatus isn't going to hurt that much, though you may end up with severe systemic reactions. Only a few select Buthidae are going to have even close to the potential of killing you. Add a few more and you have encompased those that will produce moderate to severe systemic reactions. Vaejovids aren't going to do anything to you except hurt. If you want something that can't hurt you then I suggest you get a detoothed hamster.

Cheers,
Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've been stung by V. spinigerus and it was not even as painful as a bee sting. No pain at all after an hour. That would be a good choice for a small kritter keeper, I've kept them in 16 oz deli cups!

Wade

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Vaejovids aren't going to do anything to you except hurt. If you want something that can't hurt you then I suggest you get a detoothed hamster.

Cheers,
Dave
If they're that mild, that's good. "Severe systemic reactions" are not. Just getting stung, cursing for a while, and getting over it is really what I'd prefer. If Vaejovids (what a horrible word, by the way) are that mild, I will look into them.

As far as getting stung by emps goes, the only one of my 2 that would even attempt stinging is the male, and he needs to have the *insert obscene phrase of your choice* :D scared out of him. The female is probably the second most docile pet I've had next to my original rosie back in '94. As a matter of fact, her typical response to anything is to curl up and shield herself with her claws (typically when the male is near, as he tends to push her out of his way).

N.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I second Daves Vaejovidae family recommendation. Many of the species are quite active and have nice coloration. They are all reletively easy to keep and will do well on rock/sand substrate. Though keep in mind that small scorps are short lived.

John
];')

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
I second Daves Vaejovidae family recommendation. Many of the species are quite active and have nice coloration. They are all reletively easy to keep and will do well on rock/sand substrate. Though keep in mind that small scorps are short lived.

John
];')
How short are we talking? Short to the point of it not being worth investing in the housing supplies, or short like not as long as a flatrock?

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Short as in "if you get an adult, you can't expect more than a couple years."

Cheers,
Dave

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Short as in "if you get an adult, you can't expect more than a couple years."

Cheers,
Dave
That's ok, then. Besides, I have a nasty habit of getting bored with things and trading them off for new ones :rolleyes:

N.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why don't you just get a flatrock? They have incredibly weak venom, and like their enclosure dry. Or how about a mafia scorpion, Anuroctonus phaiodactylus ?

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Venom
Why don't you just get a flatrock? They have incredibly weak venom, and like their enclosure dry. Or how about a mafia scorpion, Anuroctonus phaiodactylus ?
I wanted something small...

N.

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
I wanted something small...

N.
Anuroctonus phaiodactylus are small and have mild venom, and also are very aggressive (So its fun watching them kill prey). Some may burrow though. Mine has only made a small scrape (I think thats what its called) but it still prefers to just hide under the piece of cork bark I have for it.