Whats a "GOOD" price for a leucistic "patternless" leopard gecko?

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The local pet store has some leucistic leopard geckos for $60 and they are c.b. and are about 4" and look healthy. but I am fairly new to the hobby and really don't know what they are going for. it is a male if that makes any diff. any sites that have a pic of a leucistic so I can compare?. The ones at the petstore are a bronze color, but I have read that they turn a totally diff. color with age.:? :? :? thanks

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i got a female

leucistic at the rep. show for 35 dollars. Pet store prices are higher. I have seen them for 80 at Petsmart.
yep, males are cheaper than females.

Last edited:

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Animals are so cheap at Reptile shows. I wish I could get around to one. They have pacmans for less than 10 bucks I hear:D

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
dont confuzzle me...

(its not hard)..I asked in the post below..what part of Michigan are you in..
anywhere near downriver...Taylor area? there is one every month there...

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
odd this should come up. i recently got two paaternless hatchlings at the shop with a shipment or regular baby leos. my manager insists i sell them at the regular price of 29.99.

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why are males cheaper than females? Do they not live as long?

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Cooper
Why are males cheaper than females? Do they not live as long?
Actually, males and females live about the same length of time. One of the main reasons for the difference in price is that males cannot be housed together. Males require separate caging to prevent fights. However, it's a pretty common practice to keep one male and several females together. Therefore, females are in higher demand.

Bry

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Ot

I've also read about how egg laying can shorten a female's life span. True?

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JohnxII said:
I've also read about how egg laying can shorten a female's life span. True?
Only if done improperly or in excess.

Also...technically there is no such thing as a "leucistic" Leopard Gecko. There are patternless and Blizzards, but no true leucistics. True leucistics are completely white with no other colors period (except for the eyes).

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
DavidBeard said:
Only if done improperly or in excess.

Also...technically there is no such thing as a "leucistic" Leopard Gecko. There are patternless and Blizzards, but no true leucistics. True leucistics are completely white with no other colors period (except for the eyes).

I know but some dealers still Label them Leucistic. I should have put Leucistic (Patternless) in my question :8o

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You should be able to buy baby patternless for $20 at local herp shows or even at Petco. Some of the higher quality patternless (that have bright color and orange on the tail) command $40-$60.

When the first patternless leopards came out, they were originally thought to be leucistic so that's what they were marketed as. The misnomer just stuck, which is why it's used so often in today's market.

Anyway, about egg production shortening a female's life span, that's more likely to be the case if you powerfeed your leos, breed them prematurely, or breed them multiple times in a single season.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have between four and six of them regularly at work still for 29.99 sometimes 19.99 on sale. Petco gets its geckos from Gourmet Rodent, and due to the high volume of business we provide, they put all kinds of morphs in the boxes under the regular price.

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The store I used to work at currently has an adult female patternless in BEAUTIFUL condition for $89.99.