What T's are "gentle giants"?

DannyH

Arachnobaron
In other words, what are some large sized Tarantulas that are also quite docile? This would be my 2nd tarantula, so I don't want anything that could hurt me. Gracias!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Then you have nothing to worry about.

G. pulchripes and G. pulchra are supposed to be pretty docile. E. campestratus too.

I wouldn't know from experience though, since I don't have the latter two and I don't handle the pulchripes.

Ben Oliver

Arachnopeon
large T's

I'm not planning on handling.
the g.pulchrips (choco golden knee) is supposed to get about 6 to 8 inches or so the same with the g.pulcra. i have 2 g.pulchrips 5.5" to 6" female and a 1" sling. my big female is a little touchy she can be fine one min and mean as hell the next. if you want large go with a L.P. (salmon pink birdeater) they are supposed to get about 10" and than if i'm not mistaken you can go with a obt (golieth birdeater) they are supposed to get about 12" or so the obt is supposed to be for people with alot exper with T's the L.P. is supposed to be a little nicer i have neither of the 2 but i can read just like anyone else.

cnapple

Arachnoknight
the g.pulchrips (choco golden knee) is supposed to get about 6 to 8 inches or so the same with the g.pulcra. i have 2 g.pulchrips 5.5" to 6" female and a 1" sling. my big female is a little touchy she can be fine one min and mean as hell the next. if you want large go with a L.P. (salmon pink birdeater) they are supposed to get about 10" and than if i'm not mistaken you can go with a obt (golieth birdeater) they are supposed to get about 12" or so the obt is supposed to be for people with alot exper with T's the L.P. is supposed to be a little nicer i have neither of the 2 but i can read just like anyone else.
An OBT is not the same thing as a "goliath bird eater". Goliath bird eater generally refers to Theraphosa blondi. They are the biggest of all tarantulas but I woldn't call them "gentle" per say, and they are known for kicking bad u-hairs. OBT refers to Pterinochilus murinus the "orange baboon tarantula" or the "orange bitey thing" as you can probably guess from the common name, these are generally NOT a docile species and are one of the most defensive tarantulas in the hobby. They are also not particularly large.

As has been mentioned, if you don't plan on handling, you don't really have to worry about temperament as much, but if you're looking for a really large T that is generally more mellow than a blondi, you might look into Lasiodora parahybana.

Darth Invictus

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas are wild animals and predators, they are not pets.
They don't need to be handled, for their own security first and the security of their owners. They don't need to be disturbed.

American tarantulas are generally quite calm (even calm don't really fit to a spider), especially terrestrial species.... But they can throw urticating hairs if disturbed.
Best genus for beginners in my opinion are Grammostola & Lasiodora species.

Forget african & asian species, they are too much "rock'n'roll" for beginners.

Regards

DI

hermit

Arachnosquire
Don't handle and you have nothing to worry about.
I get what you're saying and I don't disagree, but even if you don't desire to handle the spider, it's not unreasonable to think people would prefer to choose a species based on at least some collective experience as to which species are the calmer species to deal with. As probably not the only tarantula owner who is quite afraid of spiders for one reason or another, I don't want to play with my spider like a toy dog, but there are times when I must deal with its attitude and even my B. smithi, while I know it's not a significantly harmful bite, scares the hell of out me when she's in a bad mood. I'm waiting to transfer her into a larger enclosure right now because for the past two days she's been rushing at me or kicking up a storm of bristles any time I even try to slide the lid off her enclosure. Hopefully she's just molting or something.

Anyway, I agree that it's better for everyone if people understand tarantulas are look-but-don't-touch animals, but most experienced keepers will also admit that at some point, everyone has to handle the animal and having a belief (whether placebo or not) that you're dealing with one of the most harmless or docile species is reassuring for people who aren't as confident with them yet.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
A good gentle giant is G. pulchripes, as has already been mentioned. Mine's the sweetest little thing.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. pulchra . They get huge and are calm.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, definitely G. pulchra and G. pulchripes! They are generally docile, especially the pulchra. I've yet to hear of a defensive one. L. parahybana get larger, though, so they might better fit the bill as far as the "giants" part goes. Apparently they vary greatly in temperament, but if you're not planning on handling much then you should be fine. It's highly unlikely that they (or any spider) will charge and attack. ;)

Drakk

Arachnosquire
I agree on the LP i have 5 atm and 4 of them aren't really cool with being touched...the 5th however "Miss Giaganto" is a doll as long as i dont surprise her shes as easy as my chaco to handle.

ArkGullwing

Arachnosquire
No offense but I'm really tired of reading the preaching on how tarantulas are wild animals and do not need to be handled etc etc any time someone even MENTIONS something related to safety of handling or overall temperament of the spider. I'm an arachnophobe. I didn't plan on handling my spider. At one point when I first got her, yesterday, she climbed up the side of her enclosure when I was making an adjustment with a pair of long tweezers. (I had just set up her enclosure too and was seeing things that I should change). I put my hand out and let her climb onto it so that she wouldn't be in danger of falling over the side of the enclosure onto the table. This kind of scenario is why I personally, did my research and chose such a docile spider as a b smithi. Not because I plan on playing dress up and putting some snazzy shades on her and putting her on a leash and carrying her around like a toy poodle or something.

tl;dr:

If people want to handle, let them handle. If you don't want to handle, don't. If someone asks a question, either answer, or don't but pleeeaaase lay off the preaching against or even FOR handling. It's all personal preference.

---------- Post added 08-06-2011 at 01:39 AM ----------

I get what you're saying and I don't disagree, but even if you don't desire to handle the spider, it's not unreasonable to think people would prefer to choose a species based on at least some collective experience as to which species are the calmer species to deal with. As probably not the only tarantula owner who is quite afraid of spiders for one reason or another, I don't want to play with my spider like a toy dog, but there are times when I must deal with its attitude and even my B. smithi, while I know it's not a significantly harmful bite, scares the hell of out me when she's in a bad mood. I'm waiting to transfer her into a larger enclosure right now because for the past two days she's been rushing at me or kicking up a storm of bristles any time I even try to slide the lid off her enclosure. Hopefully she's just molting or something.

Anyway, I agree that it's better for everyone if people understand tarantulas are look-but-don't-touch animals, but most experienced keepers will also admit that at some point, everyone has to handle the animal and having a belief (whether placebo or not) that you're dealing with one of the most harmless or docile species is reassuring for people who aren't as confident with them yet.
Y'know, I shoulda read your post before I posted mine, you said basically the exact same thing I did just in a better way XD

avion

Arachnopeon
Yeah, also fed up reading the anti-handling preachings of the 'chosen few'.

The Tarantula Keepers Guide encourages handling. Read the section.

If would be a benefit to your pet to be able to handle it comfortably and safely should you ever need to attend to the spider or cage.

Jumping in, handling a pet for the first time in an emergency is a dangerous task. A sick spider used to being handled would stress far less than one that has never been.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree. I am tired of everyone preaching not to handle their tarantulas anytime they ask a question that remotely relates to handling. If someone asks a question, you may chose to answer them or not. If someone knows the risks and still chooses to handle their pet (and yes they are pets) they can. They should be free to do so without being scolded like children by people with a different opinion.

snakecollector

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brachypelma Albiceps are a really docile species and get decent sized. They are not a "giant" but make up for that with a great attitude and good looks :)

John

tloquenehouk

Arachnopeon
I have very young T's, nickle to half dollar size. What is a good age to try and handle them? and is there anything on the internet that i can read on the subject? I have a Giant Black and White, a Mexican Fireleg, A mexican Blonde, A giant White Knee, An Ecudorian Blue, a curly hair and a White Striped Bird Eater. Does anyone have these T's? (Silly question-I know...lol) I'm thinkin i should start young. The Mexican Fireleg is bigger then the rest and maybe to late?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just because people suggest you not handle does not mean they are preaching. If you're sick of reading those posts...don't read them. It's not rocket science.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just because people suggest you not handle does not mean they are preaching. If you're sick of reading those posts...don't read them. It's not rocket science.
Joe, you may not intended to sound preachy, but that's how it comes acrosss for the "not reading "those posts, it's hard not to when they are littered throughout threads that ask questions that don't even mention handling. If I asked "what's an extremely aggressive tarantula that looks really scary" is somebody going to assume I want to buy it to throw on my guests? I would hope not ;-). So when someone asks what they could find that is large and docile, please don't assume they are going to handle them and immediately tell them not to. Same goes for someone that asks what a large handleable tarantula would be. If they are asking that question, they are going to do what they want anyway, regardless of what you believe. I am not trying to be rude or offensive, I am simply saying that people get tired of hearing the same advice about the subject of handling when that advice was never solicited.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Insert "Giggle" smiley here.

This, to me, is a classic case of a 'thread hijacking" - all the OP's opening post asked was which Ts are the gentle giants. In very short order, the thread became a polemic on handling.

Can we steer this back to the subject matter and leave the handling debate to other threads that deal specifically with that subject? ...

To the OP - G. pulchra is the way to go in my opinion. One drawback is that they seem to have a relatively slow growth rate, and I can attest to that from personal experience. My pulchra, which I acquired as a 3/4 inch sling, is a big little boy now, but nothing compared to the size of some of the adults I've seen. And he is very sweet - dumb as a pet rock - but sweet!