What to use for heat for T .Blondi tank?

Bryan91901

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been searching the boards here and can't come to a conclusion in what to use as a source of heat for a TBlondi in a 20 gallon long tank (30x12x12). Im leaning with using a red light on a timer on the far side of the tank..maybe a 60 watt since its a longer tank. If I do that then I will probably put one hide on the oppisite side of it and another somewhere in the middle giving here a choice just in case she's too cold/hot. So what do you guys think, does that sound Ok? :?

usranger09033

Arachnopeon
just what i think

Well, I would just use a heat pad for underneath the tank on one side, soo she'll have a cool/hot side like you suggested, make sure plenty of water is available at all times, dehydration kills:(

Bryan91901

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah i was thinkning of that too..one concern is that what size should i get..they come in the 10-20 gallon heating pads...and then the 20-30 gallon ones? Would the 20-30 be ok in a 20 gallon long, also if left on 24/7 would it be ok?

usranger09033

Arachnopeon
Personally I would stick with the 10-20 gallong pad, since you'd only want to partially heat up the tank and not all at once. Also, I would not recommend having it on 24/7 since it may overheat the t and cause more harm then good, you know? I would suggest have it on for a couple of hours turn off and continue when you see the temp. drop down too low. Another thing is how much heat the pad gives off, it'd be a good thing to find out before hand soo that you can calculate how long you need to have it on for to get the desired temp. I hope that helps you out, man. :)

I was about to say that too shadow....why the need for a heat pad?

ShadowSpectrum

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bayani, you live in Pomona, right? I live in the same city as you, and it's plenty warm for any tarantula here. All tarantulas do well at room temperature (with the exception of a few montane species that benefit from slightly cooler temps), so there is no reason to heat your T. blondi. Also, for future references, if you live in a particularly cold area (constantly below 65F) and you're going to use a heating pad, always stick it to the side or back of the tank, never underneath. A tarantula's natural instinct is to burrow to escape the sun and heat, but if the heat is coming from below, the spider will just cook itself.

Last edited:

Bryan91901

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah i hear you on putting it on the side and not the bottom...I keep 5 adult scorps and for some reason the cage never gets past 85-90 w/redlight and tank heater (one is on a timer and goes on at night to help keep temps from dropping bellow 70)..my room is in the back and the sun rises opposite from it. Also no direct sunlight ever makes it in my room neither. I think thats why for some reason my heating situation has required me to be more concerned.. at first i figured it was the temp gauge but I have scorp juvies in another tank (same room) and it reads similar temps...Its really odd even because it is hella hot here in pomona ... I guess I will just have to get the heat pad and record different temps throughout the night and then go from there...thanks for the advice guys

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You don't really want heat lights, especially 60 watt with a moisture loving spider because heat lights suck the moisture right out of the air. I agree with what SS said. Unless your *indoor* temperatures are very cold, normal room temperatures in at least the low 70s is fine, even for a blondi. If you're going to use a heat mat, get the 10 to 20 gallon one. Remember, those are designed to sit under the tank and heat the entire thing and, for having a warm and cool side, you don't want the whole tank hot. You don't want or need your blondi's temps to be above 80 to 85 at any given point.
I keep my blondi in my bedroom where we have a small space heater that is set to 78 F, but, my bedroom is also the breeding/prenatal room (erm...for the inverts ONLY that is...*my* breeding days are over! :p) and she stays plenty warm and cozy in there.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
usranger09033 said:
Personally I would stick with the 10-20 gallong pad, since you'd only want to partially heat up the tank and not all at once.
Just correcting this: a "20-30 gallon" heating pad would not cover the entirety of the underside of the tank. It would be big enough to cover the standard 1/3-1/2 of the underside of a 20-30 gallon tank.

I agree that the OP probably doesn't need one at all anyway, though. :)

Bryan91901

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys again..sometimes it does get a little cold in my room even in the summer...So i guess iv'e decided to get the heat pad sized at 10-20 and stick it on the back far side of the tank...

JdC

Arachnopeon
I live in Canada and I've successfully kept a Blondi for over two years now... as you might imagine it can get pretty cold here. I have never used supplemental heat for any of my tarantulas because I personally feel that hydration is waaay more important, and a heating pad will make water evapourate out of the enclosure that much quicker.

ghost6303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
all my spiders have 20-25 watt lights. it gives them some heat source (it usualy adds 5 degrees +/-), if they get hot they can always go into their burrow and it gives them a sense of day and night. 25 watt white lights i find even too bright, i found a pink-ish 25 watt bulb is great. i think 65 is way to high, it might roast your T. it would definately burn if it decided to climb up to the top next to the light.