what to put in this huge cage

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have a really nice terrarium that was originally supposed to be for some frogs that i had but they are doing quite well in another cage. the enclosure is 18 inches deep x 18 inches wide x 42 inches tall. it has a waterfall that i have never made funtional and i have just packed the holes with animal safe soil i am going to plant them (orchids and ferns are what i have so far). just wondering what everyone thought should go in here.

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
42" tall? Sounds like a good place for something aboreal like any Poecilotheria sp., Avicularia sp., etc. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than 4" if I were you. Maybe you could even consider a colony setup (but there's a risk with that of course).

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i forgot to say that there is a huge piece of ghost wood in there as well with some very nice green moss growing on it already.
i have a small colony of avic avic going right now and they seem to be doing all right.
what t's are good for a communal set up besides avics?

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
arachnoguy said:
i forgot to say that there is a huge piece of ghost wood in there as well with some very nice green moss growing on it already.
i have a small colony of avic avic going right now and they seem to be doing all right.
what t's are good for a communal set up besides avics?
It's stated that avics are semicommunal but I still wouldn't be suprised if one ended up lunch eventually. The same is said for Poecilotheria though I have had males cohabit with a female for a month or more with no bad attitude.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
do you only do tarantulas?

there are some more genuinely "communal" scorpion species you could make an amazing display with.

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To wolfpak: don't have a digital camera at the moment, gave mine to my sis as a moving gift. i have my normal camera and i will take pics and get them developed asap.

To bridgebane: thanks for letting me know which t's can co-habitate

To cacoseraph: nope i do scorpions as well just i wanted to make this into an arboreal set up for a t or multiple t's.

do you all think a singapore blue would look good in this type of set up? how about a gooty ornamental?

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
any of the above would look unbelievable. Good luck finding a large specimen to start with.

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
arachnoguy said:
To wolfpak: don't have a digital camera at the moment, gave mine to my sis as a moving gift. i have my normal camera and i will take pics and get them developed asap.

To bridgebane: thanks for letting me know which t's can co-habitate

To cacoseraph: nope i do scorpions as well just i wanted to make this into an arboreal set up for a t or multiple t's.

do you all think a singapore blue would look good in this type of set up? how about a gooty ornamental?
dude.. a gooty would look good in ANYTHING.. singapore too.. gotta love the blues

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
anyone know where i can get a decent size of either of those for less than a grand? i would like to get one around 3 or 4 inches and preferably female.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
I'd put a P. Irminia and anoles in it if it were me. Good luck with whatever you decide. Sounds like a great setup. :)

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the anoles won't become food will they once the p. inminia gets to a good size?

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
with that set-up, i would probably put a t. blondi in it.
the way you describe your vivarium, it's just right for that species. but t. blondi isn't communal

arachnoguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i thought blondi were burrowers are they not :? its 42 inches tall, if it were 42 inches wide then a blondi would be great.

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
arachnoguy said:
i thought blondi were burrowers are they not :? its 42 inches tall, if it were 42 inches wide then a blondi would be great.
sorry, read your post wrong. :8o i thought it's 42" wide :8o yup its not for a t. blondi :8o

i would say a. avicularia is just great. and it would look good as a show tank :clap:and a good conversation piece :)

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You could go for P. ornata or rufilata, they are among the largest pokies, or go for the fabled communal setup!