What terrestrial T to get...

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Probably been asked a fair few times already, but if nobody posted similar things on here, I imagine the forum would be a lot quieter place...! Anyway....I've attached a picture of 'my' cupboard. Only have 1 T, an Aphonopelma Chalcodes. I have a medium exo terra breeding box - 30x20x14.5cm and would like to house another T in it. Looking for terrestrial, as little burrowing as poss and hopefully something that doesn't web up too much either. Fairly new to Ts but have a snake, lizard and a couple of scorps already. Comments are appreciated! 20180422_170924.jpg

Last edited:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I suggest a B. hamorii as your next T. They’re often out on display, and I haven’t known them to web a ton.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I suggest a Brachypelma species, such as B. vagans, B. albopilosum, or the classic B. hamorii. B. vagans and B. albopilosum are gonna be significantly cheaper and easier to find, but all would make a great 2nd tarantula.

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
Probably been asked a fair few times already, but if nobody posted similar things on here, I imagine the forum would be a lot quieter place...! Anyway....I've attached a couple of picture of 'my' cupboard. Only have 1 T, a Aphonopelma Chalcodes. I have a medium exo terra breeding box - 30x20x14.5cm and would like to house another T in it. Looking for terrestrial, as little burrowing as poss and hopefully something that doesn't web up too much either. Fairly new to Ts but have a snake, lizard and a couple of scores already. Comments are appreciated! View attachment 273315
If you want something a little more advanced, I would reccomend a Nhandu chromatus.

Don't burrow/web much, and are always on display.

Eat a lot and have pretty colours. Also are cheap.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Really cannot go wrong with a Brachypelma or Grammostola in terms of what you're looking for. They're all hardy species that don't web too much, and have easy care. Pick the one you like the appearance of best.

sasker

Arachnoprince
B. vagans and B. albopilosum are gonna be significantly cheaper and easier to find, but all would make a great 2nd tarantula.
In the EU, B. hamorii will not cost you an arm and a leg, even as sub adults. They can be had for about 40 - 50 euro. I have nothing against B. albopilusum or B. vagans, but I would also consider the other more colourful members of the genus (B. emilia, B. auratum, B. albiceps, B. klaasi, B. boehmei, B. baumgarteni, etc). It's a great genus and the spiders don't get too big either (comparable to your A. chalcodes) so they would do fine in your vacant enclosure.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Only have 1 T, a Aphonopelma Chalcodes. I have a medium exo terra breeding box - 30x20x14.5cm and would like to house another T in it. Looking for terrestrial, as little burrowing as poss and hopefully something that doesn't web up too much either.
Grammostola pulchra is a good display spider.

If you want something a bit feistier, Acanthoscurria geniculata.

Zymotic

Arachnopeon
I really like the Acanthoscurria geniculata, Lasiodora parahybana, and Grammostoal pulchripes. All three grow to be a good size and are great display tarantulas.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Acanthoscurria geniculata for sure, great display and very active
I will echo this recommendation, but i will add my own recommendation as well:

B. albopilosum (Nicaragua), they are quite stunning tarantulas that are on the hairy side (even more so than the hobby form)

cold blood

Staff member
IMO a G. pulchripes would be so perfect for you. They are similar to your current t in that they are docile, not very flicky and super easy going...yet in every other respect, they are completely different. Somebody will post a pic of an adtult female, they look great (and don't tend to get ugly bald abdomens from flicking)

They get larger and bulkier, they eat like absolute beasts, they are more active...not much for burrowing (although any individual may of any species), but they are constantly moving substrate, burying the water dish or just plain re-arranging everything...and while they don't grow fast (slings can), they do grow much faster than what you have and as adults will still molt more frequently while at the same time, fasting less often (unless you pound food into it quickly).

They are one of those rare beginner species that belong in every collection.

If you lived in WI and not the UK, I would give you one just because you have a boxer;)

Others would be Brachypelma hamorii/emelia/vagans/albopilosum, a touch fiestier...G. action/iheringi...feisty, but manageable would be N. chromatus/coloratovillsus, A. geniculata.

All are good eaters, spend most of adulthood in the open and look fantastic.

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Thank you to everyone that has taken to the time to reply! Much appreciated. Given me a few to mull over.....

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would go w/ G. pulchripes. I've raised one from sling to AF, and she's the most docile large T I own.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Based on the size of the enclosure, one of the Grammostola or Brachypelma species would be good choices. From my own collection, something like a B. boehemi, G. pulchra (though those can be hard to find outside of slings), or G. actaeon. Even a G. rosea can be a good choice. Some of the species mentioned, like any Lasiodora, the A. geniculata, or the G. pulchripes would be a bit too big for the suggested enclosure, though I guess if you are willing to eventually give them more room later, a juvenile of any of those species would be happy in that enclosure.

cold blood

Staff member
"any Lasiodora, the A. geniculata, or the G. pulchripes would be a bit too big for the suggested enclosure"

I dont agree with this assessment

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
The enclosure he’s talking about is only 12” x 8” x 6”. No way I’d put a Lasiodora or a G. pulchripes adult in there. A. geniculata gets to what 7” or 8”, so about the size of my L. klugi female? There’s a lot you can put in there, but I wouldn’t put any of those three in there (as adults).

For my own Lasiodora males that are growing up, I'm considering the large size of those breeding boxes, which are 16.3" x 10.4" x 5.8".

Last edited:

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Agreed, if one ends up getting a big adult, that enclosure might be a bit on the small side. But if you got space and don't mind watching it grow / rehousing it. I can agree with all the T's mentioned above. I do like the A. geniculata a lot though, even my juvenile is out and about a lot. YMMV as always.
... and hopefully something that doesn't web up too much either.
Alright, be like that... More blue/green and orange spiders for us ;)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Personally, being you, I would buy another dog - of course strictly another Molossian dog - T's, no matter which one you would buy, comes second :)

I love your avatar pic. Am I wrong, @cold blood? :kiss: