What T did you Score on?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
An 8 inch Xenesthis immanis female for 110 euro ans a 5 inch Xenesthis intermedia female for 60 euro!

Pretty much a score?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My best freebies over the years: B albo and G pulchripes -- 2nd instar when received -- lovely sub-adults today. Sometimes the simplest Ts (free, not-rare) can be the most enjoyable. Enjoyed watching them grow up! :)

[From condiment cups to adult enclosures -- I love having them! ;) )

LailaQ

Arachnosquire
80131579-DC7C-4258-B48B-3E51B38908E7.jpeg
I got an amazing deal on a B. albopilosum today. My friend works at the place where I bought it, and instead of $45, I got it for $15. There was another woman looking at these T’s and since she asked to see them first, she would get first pick of the three available. I lucked out and got the one I wanted. I can’t believe how much I love this little fuzzybutt as much as I do.
Here she is, 9 months and three molts later, a good 3.5”, and always put. My favorite in my collection—super totally chill(currently, LOL).

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I would say my sub adult Brachypelma baumgarteni male I got at an expo for $40 cdn. Should still have a few good years and possibly some breeding left in him and he was half the price of some of my slings :)

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Free P. lugardi and Bumba cabocla, both of which turned out to be female (and my favorite Ts). :)
I also got an M. balfouri and an E. cyanognathus for $50 total from Craigslist.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The best score I got was a free T. albopilosum at my LPS about 3 years ago. Someone who got tired of her (Yep !) dropped her off. I just happen to go for crickets for my Ts and I noticed it. Knowing that I'm a long-time spider keeper, the staff basically handed her to me. "You want it ? It's yours, free of charge ! Enjoy !" A quick ventral examination revealed the epigastric furrow as I had hoped. She's one of my best eaters, always out in the open and is the most relaxed of all my Ts. Couldn't be any happier !

Counselor

Arachnopeon
There are a couple ... at a show recently one of the dealers was showing us how to vent sex a T and vent sexed a Phormictopus Auatus my daughter and i had been looking at. Was hard to turn down at $39 when it turned out it was a female and the dealer honored the original unsexed price :)

Also picked up and Aphonapelm Chalcodes I had thought was male but had a chance to really get a good look and low and behold ... NOT male! Not a bad deal at $40. Not a super valuable T, but better than buying a sexed female for at least double that :)

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I like the freebies I've gotten, but as far as sweet deals, I found a young mature female B boehmei on CL for $45. I feel like I really scored with that find.

At a show a few months back, I found C darlingi slings going for 2 for $25 so I picked up two, even though I had never wanted a C darlingi before, and was given a free dune scorpion with the sale. The slings are turning out to be some of my favorite spiders, and I'm certain that one of them is female at this point, which rocks.

Also the scorpion has totally won me over. I'm afraid I'm going to get into scorps as soon as I have room.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
5 inch unsexed Theraphosa Stirmi for 90$ from an expo. Turned out to be a female. Not really a rare T, but a pretty killer deal.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
My biggest score is my H.Pulchripes. I was supposed to pick up an Asian forest scorpion from a lady on Craigslist for $20. After chatting with her for a bit, she gave me the scorpion and the tarantula for free. Just wanted them to go to a good home, with someone who had more experience with arachnids.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I've made some great contacts since I joined Arachnoboards...these people know what I’m looking to acquire and they are really working with me. Just great people, I appreciate them so much.

So far:
Aphonopelma seemanni sp Blue...it’s been hard but slings have been located, ordered and will be sent once weather decides to cooperate. (Still looking for slings of the BLACK color morph)

Acanthoscurria geniculata...I wanted 6, but the deal was to good to pass on.

Dolichothele diamentanensis...wonderful opportunity for these, very happy.

Pterinopelma sazimai...just fell into these while looking for the Black form of the A. seemanni

There’s 4 more species that I'm looking to acquire this spring, then I'll take a break till fall and start looking again.

Last edited:

BigCupOjoe

Arachnopeon
Just a few days ago I nabbed a 2" 6 month old juvenile non-sexed (suspected female due to carapace coloration) M. Balfouri for $110

*SORRY FOR THE BAD PICTURE. WHENEVER I TRY TO OPEN HER LID AND GET A PICTURE OF HER, SHE BOLTS INTO HER BURROW*

Attachments

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Just a few days ago I nabbed a 2" 6 month old juvenile non-sexed (suspected female due to carapace coloration)
The carapace of the males only becomes bright blue once he matures. As juveniles and sub-adults, males and females will look identical in this species.

Drizzliz

Arachnopeon
I'd say Tapinauchenius rasti sling for $15.
It's pretty much the only species that I've seen go for significantly more on American sites (50 USD), so it felt like a small victory. :)
I've been totally impressed with it's beauty, webbing and feeding response.

cold blood

Staff member
I got a great deal on a P. nigricolor sling....just $30....got a freebie P. vitatta sling with it....and both turned out female.

Got an adult female T. cyaneolum from a pet store for $50....at the time the species was a virtual unknown in the US hobby.

BigCupOjoe

Arachnopeon
The carapace of the males only becomes bright blue once he matures. As juveniles and sub-adults, males and females will look identical in this species.
Oh darn it! I knew that males have a blue carapace and females don't... but I thought this might be somewhat evident in a juvenile as well. My M. Balfouri has a bright grey carapace which is why I thought female. High key hoping female though!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Got a nice deal on a handful of Ts here locally, including a 5+" MF P. metallica, a much larger than advertised female P. cambridgei who just molted and is probably mature (just at the 5" mark), which means I may actually get to breed my male when he hooks out in another couple of molts. Also got a ~3" P. rufilata and a 1" P. formosa, and I may be counting my chickens before they hatch but the rufi is looking female to me - she's in premolt now so I'll confirm after she molts. Everyone came WITH their enclosures (including a 12x12x18" exoterra for the metallica) AND got some spare enclosures on top of that. All of that, for the same (and rather ridiculous) prices I've seen a single MF P. metallica being sold for.

Oh darn it! I knew that males have a blue carapace and females don't... but I thought this might be somewhat evident in a juvenile as well. My M. Balfouri has a bright grey carapace which is why I thought female. High key hoping female though!
Females (and M. balfouri in general) DO get a blue carapace as they get older, it's just generally a light cyan. Males get the deep indigo blues once they mature, but I've also seen someone who had a female that had the same deep blue colors as a MM and was without a doubt a sexed female. You can try and get a ventral image of your juvie and post it here to see if anyone can give you some insight as to what the sex may be, but the only 100% surefire way to sex this species is via molt. ;)

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
A very gracious vendor honored a mistake on their price list that allowed me to purchase a few Phormingochilus sp Akcaya slings for less than $40 each. When they get some size and if I can get them to reproduce, I know who's the first person I'm going to contact with a really cheap wholesale price.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Got a 3" 0.1 S. calceatum for $10. She was my first OW and it was solely because it was such a great deal. I don't even really like arboreals :angelic:

Gwynonwen

Arachnopeon
What tarantula did you get just because it was kinda there and you felt like it, and had no idea it was either a super rare species or you got it for super cheap?

Mine would probably be a female Phormictopus Aurautus who is around 4-5 inches for only about 80$ and my other is a female 3-4 inch Lasiodorides Polycuspulatus for about 100$
I'll post pics later when I get some good ones
I was buying some t's from a person getting out of the hobby and they had a 6" female P. Regalis that I didn't originally Intend on buying but when I heard the price of $160 for the spider and the fully setup enclosure I bought her without thinking

Attachments