What spiders would thrive in this enclosure?

Lahontan

Arachnopeon
Hello, I’m newer to keeping arachnids and wanted to get some insight on how to stock my new enclosure in the future, I just got a large treehouse switch (with canopy lid) from tarantula cribs that measures 12”x8”x8”, I love spoiling my pets and would like to know what kinds of spiders would really enjoy and thrive in this enclosure, I am open to all spiders including the strange, dangerous, and even the boring.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Hello, I’m newer to keeping arachnids and wanted to get some insight on how to stock my new enclosure in the future, I just got a large treehouse switch (with canopy lid) from tarantula cribs that measures 12”x8”x8”, I love spoiling my pets and would like to know what kinds of spiders would really enjoy and thrive in this enclosure, I am open to all spiders including the strange, dangerous, and even the boring.
Got any pictures of the enclosure? I'm not familiar with this model. With these dimensions, you could basically keep any small to medium sized tarantula, a larger jumper or huntsman spider, or any of the widows (Latrodectus). There are lots of choices, but the design of the enclosure might limit things.

Lahontan

Arachnopeon
Got any pictures of the enclosure? I'm not familiar with this model. With these dimensions, you could basically keep any small to medium sized tarantula, a larger jumper or huntsman spider, or any of the widows (Latrodectus). There are lots of choices, but the design of the enclosure might limit things.
IMG_9084.jpeg

Pulled a picture from their site, It has a front sliding door and a top opening lid, I got the canopy lid (the one seen in the image) because it has space above where it actually detaches, so spiders can make stuff up there and I can open it without destroying it.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 462943

Pulled a picture from their site, It has a front sliding door and a top opening lid, I got the canopy lid (the one seen in the image) because it has space above where it actually detaches, so spiders can make stuff up there and I can open it without destroying it.
Ah, OK. So, not suitable for most tarantulas, then. Some of the arboreal species would be fine, like Avicularia or Caribena, though. Jumpers, huntsmen, and widows would still be good choices for something like that, too.

Lahontan

Arachnopeon
Ah, OK. So, not suitable for most tarantulas, then. Some of the arboreal species would be fine, like Avicularia or Caribena, though. Jumpers, huntsmen, and widows would still be good choices for something like that, too.
Great! Thanks so much, any specific species recommendations? How big could I go spider-wise and still have them be comfy and happy?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Great! Thanks so much, any specific species recommendations? How big could I go spider-wise and still have them be comfy and happy?
It really depends on what you're into. As far as tarantulas go, you could put something like one of the Avicularia species in there (A. avicularia, A. purpurea, A. juruensis, etc.), Ybyrapora diversipes or Y. sooretama, or Caribena versicolor. If you went with a jumping spider, Phidippus regius or Hyllus diardi/giganteus would be good options. Huntsmen like those from the Heterpoda or Dolomedes genus are something to consider, and any of the widow spiders from the genus Latrodectus would work, too.

As far as size goes, I think anything up to 4-5" leg span would be fine. You could go a little larger, but most of the options listed above are in that 4-5" range or smaller (like the jumpers and widows are only going to be 1-2", but they'll appreciate the space to move around and/or web).

Lahontan

Arachnopeon
It really depends on what you're into. As far as tarantulas go, you could put something like one of the Avicularia species in there (A. avicularia, A. purpurea, A. juruensis, etc.), Ybyrapora diversipes or Y. sooretama, or Caribena versicolor. If you went with a jumping spider, Phidippus regius or Hyllus diardi/giganteus would be good options. Huntsmen like those from the Heterpoda or Dolomedes genus are something to consider, and any of the widow spiders from the genus Latrodectus would work, too.

As far as size goes, I think anything up to 4-5" leg span would be fine. You could go a little larger, but most of the options listed above are in that 4-5" range or smaller (like the jumpers and widows are only going to be 1-2", but they'll appreciate the space to move around and/or web).
Thank you so much!! This is all such awesome info, I definitely will explore the jumpers, huntsmen, and widows!