What millipede?

dmay

Arachnopeon
I got this millipede and on the box it was advertised as a caramel millipede but i can’t find it on line and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is in fact a caramel millipede or something else. E3A83F79-47D1-4CDC-AAD5-F1A8E0085D79.jpeg F2CD532D-B9B9-4C24-9951-CC950F531B91.jpeg

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
While I have seen specimens like this, I haven't been able to identify them. Do you have any information on the origin of this specimen?

It is quite lovely I will say in terms of coloration.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I got this millipede and on the box it was advertised as a caramel millipede but i can’t find it on line and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is in fact a caramel millipede or something else. View attachment 390235 View attachment 390236
The only Caramel one I've found is the Mozambique Caramel Millipede. It was given the common name as it's probably difficult to identify, like so many others. So best go with the Mozambique Caramel, unless someone can I'd it accurately.

dmay

Arachnopeon
hi thank you for everyone’s responses and no i haven’t got any other information about it as it was from a rescue but i have been looking at different species on line and it seems to look the most like a chocolate banded caramel millipede (picture attached) what are you opinions? the first pic is the one of line which i think it is then the second is what i have 22245D96-A227-4913-9865-B9889D411D3F.jpeg 8DA2E36E-C85A-47C5-AEAF-9E189958EC4C.jpeg

While I have seen specimens like this, I haven't been able to identify them. Do you have any information on the origin of this specimen?

It is quite lovely I will say in terms of coloration.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
hi thank you for your reply and no i have no extra info unfortunately

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
The first picture looks like a Pelmatojulus, which is certainly not what you have.

With nothing more than "Caramel Millipede", there really isn't much farther you can go. I reckon it's probably a member of the Spirostreptidae, but I don't know enough about the specific characteristics of each family to ascertain this.
The more commonly seen "Mozambique Caramels" also don't look quite the same; see here.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
The first picture looks like a Pelmatojulus, which is certainly not what you have.

With nothing more than "Caramel Millipede", there really isn't much farther you can go. I reckon it's probably a member of the Spirostreptidae, but I don't know enough about the specific characteristics of each family to ascertain this.
The more commonly seen "Mozambique Caramels" also don't look quite the same; see here.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Hi, if you look at the 2 photos, the top one is taken using a flash with a light coloured background, the other taken in natural light, with a darker background, making one seem a lot darker than the other - just a thought.

TwoJays

Arachnopeon
🤔 your Mystery Milli seems narrower than the Mozambique Caramel Millipede imo
It kinda looks like an o_Ornatus to me, but maybe the telson too pointy?
🤷🏻‍♀️ And I'm not expert.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hi, if you look at the 2 photos, the top one is taken using a flash with a light coloured background, the other taken in natural light, with a darker background, making one seem a lot darker than the other - just a thought.
Forgot to reply to this, ha ha.

Anyway, yes, the lighting and setting is different, but there are still very clear differences. One specimen has yellow, red, and black on it, which is still visible despite the glare, and very thick (looks like Pelmatojulus tectus). The other is lacking red and black entirely (unless my red-green colorblindess deceives me), with greenish-tan shading instead of yellow. It is also much thinner, with a prominent telsondorn/tail spike, and the leg size is wholly different.

🤔 your Mystery Milli seems narrower than the Mozambique Caramel Millipede imo
It kinda looks like an o_Ornatus to me, but maybe the telson too pointy?
🤷🏻‍♀️ And I'm not expert.
Definitely not O. ornatus, and I don't think Orthoporus possess tail spikes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Matt1987

Arachnopeon
Could be an unidentified African species which has subsequently been named by the breeder as a caramel millipede or could be Pelmatojulus Ligulatus …which are frequently known in the hobby as Amber Millipedes. Does look quite like Pelmatojulus Ligulatus tbh