What makes a good hiding spot for a tarantula?

DannyH

Arachnobaron
I'm getting my first tarantula (A rosehair) this weekend and most of the caresheets say its good to have something for it to hide in, but most of the coconut houses at the pet store seem to small. Any advise?

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Doesn't even need to be something you buy like that, just an arrangement of cork bark and leaves. I do have one of those fake rocks and my chaco loves that. It is not very high off the ground but she has dug way down and made a nice cozy home under it. Anything where they can run for security is good.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
even if the hide is kinda small, most ts will find a way to fit. theyll even "tunnel" a hill type slope under the hide and make a shelter.... it sounds unbelievable but ive seen a 7.5 inch parahybana hide in somethin smaller than a coffee mug. i personally use the ceramic style pots cut in half for terrestrial ts .. that way i can offer more than 1 hide. but really, just about anything (somewhat size appropriate) will suffice.

RoseT

Arachnosquire
you dont have to cut the pot in half, you can just bury it half way in the substrate.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Big plastic cups from the dollar store... the 5-for-a-buck ones. I also use small flower pots, PVC pipe, or cork bark. Some use what I give them, some don't. One of my Ts is so attached to his flower pot that I have upgraded him to a larger home twice simply by picking him up, pot and all, and just putting it in his new habitat.

Marga

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Grayzone, how do you cut the ceramic pot in 1/2 without it shattering?
well nanchantress i use an angle grinder and a masons blade ( im a builder and i realize not everybody has tools like this. i found scoring them with a sharp blade over and over works well too. may get a rough edge but ive never had problems with them and my ts. im sure theres lots of ways that get great results, those just personally work for me