what kind

alexmargaritis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey guys i'm a new member in this forum and i would like to know which kind of spider is this.i bought it for 25$ here in greece..sorry for bad english.this is the spider:

Last edited:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
trapdoor? not sure of the species. is it local do you know?

alexmargaritis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
trapdoor? not sure of the species. is it local do you know?
no,it's not local,i bought it from a dealer as 25$ and outside of the box ,it had a label called Sp. idon't know something else.oups i forgot to tell you that the size of the spider is 2 cm.i want to know very match what kind is this,please help!thak you.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some sort of mygalomorph, apparently a trapdoor. The cup just said "sp."? It didn't say "Gorgyrella sp." or "African trapdoor sp." or something? The "sp." alone means exactly nothing. If you could at least narrow it down to a continent of origin or something it might help...

alexmargaritis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some sort of mygalomorph, apparently a trapdoor. The cup just said "sp."? It didn't say "Gorgyrella sp." or "African trapdoor sp." or something? The "sp." alone means exactly nothing. If you could at least narrow it down to a continent of origin or something it might help...
no,unfortunately it just said Sp.only.i know that it's apparently a trapdoor but i would like very much to know exactly the sort..thank you etown for information,if you if you are thiking you know something else,i will listen to you very carefully.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i mean, i can help you to ID to family and maybe genus but it involves taking VERY specific pics

the first pic is to see if it has claw tufts. you need a VERY good picture of the bottom of the foot. you need to check for a claw tuft, which is setae that originate from the foot between the claws, not to be confused with scopulae which are setae that originate from the tarsi

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool

Looks almost like a calisoga but it's less hairy than those. Pretty cool find even if it doesn't have a name yet.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Once again, looks like an Ancylotrypa, family Cyrtaucheniidae.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
do you want to share what makes you think that is so? i am not saying you are wrong or right... just wondering what makes you so sure that you seem to get annoyed that someone is asking about their spider

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree. Looks like the common brown species often mislabeled as Gorgyrella or some other completely wrong genus by ignoramus dealers.

Contact the Search Police here or try searching this site for Ancylotrypa for more info.;)

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
do you want to share what makes you think that is so? i am not saying you are wrong or right... just wondering what makes you so sure that you seem to get annoyed that someone is asking about their spider
In what way did my post show I was annoyed? :?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i could be reading a bit into the "once again"

but.... what makes either of you think it is Ancyloptera?

i don't need to search, i have papers in front of me :)

alexmargaritis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think it looks like very much guys..but i have to wait a little bit for being sure until it has a molt.then i will upload more pictures.thank you very much all of you..and something else,where can i find more information about ancylotrypa??if you know any site please tell me!i like this spider and i want it will be proud of me!

LordKabar

Arachnopeon
I was just doing research on Wiki and stumbled across this, which reminded me of your thread. I believe it's what you have-

Atypus karschi

"Atypus karschi is a mygalomorph spider that lives in Japan, China, and Taiwan. In Japan, it is known as ji-gumo.

These spiders are black or dark brown and range from 17mm to 20mm. Like other spiders in its infraorder, it has fangs that point straight down rather than crossing.

This spider has an unusual web. It spins a tube of silk that is hidden partially underground, with the portion above ground being covered in leaves and other debris. The spider waits for an insect to land or crawl onto the tube, then bites through the silk to pull the insect inside.

The name is derived from arachnologist Friedrich Karsch."
- Wikipedia.org

Sweet deal Alex. I'd name it Fuji. {D

alexmargaritis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was just doing research on Wiki and stumbled across this, which reminded me of your thread. I believe it's what you have-

Atypus karschi

"Atypus karschi is a mygalomorph spider that lives in Japan, China, and Taiwan. In Japan, it is known as ji-gumo.

These spiders are black or dark brown and range from 17mm to 20mm. Like other spiders in its infraorder, it has fangs that point straight down rather than crossing.

This spider has an unusual web. It spins a tube of silk that is hidden partially underground, with the portion above ground being covered in leaves and other debris. The spider waits for an insect to land or crawl onto the tube, then bites through the silk to pull the insect inside.

The name is derived from arachnologist Friedrich Karsch."
- Wikipedia.org

Sweet deal Alex. I'd name it Fuji. {D
ouaou!!now i'm more confused...:wall: .answer guys!!lordkabar thank you dude.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i don't really think it is Affinis. the eyes and chelicerae look a fair amount different

alex, can you take more pics of the spider? don't post a big pic with a tiny spider... crop out as much as you can and post that

some other shots that might help are
1) ventral view of sternum/spider

2) close, good shot of eyes... Ancylotrypa should have eyes on tubercles

3) good shot of chelicerae

there are probably more shots that are needful, but i just woke up =P

unfortunately Ancylotrypa looks like a bastard genus that needs to be revised. FAR too many traits are only possessed by some species in the genus :/

Last edited:

alexmargaritis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i don't really think it is Affinis. the eyes and chelicerae look a fair amount different

alex, can you take more pics of the spider? don't post a big pic with a tiny spider... crop out as much as you can and post that

some other shots that might help are
1) ventral view of sternum/spider

2) close, good shot of eyes... Ancylotrypa should have eyes on tubercles

3) good shot of chelicerae

there are probably more shots that are needful, but i just woke up =P

unfortunately Ancylotrypa looks like a bastard genus that needs to be revised. FAR too many traits are only possessed by some species in the genus :/
ok,i'll take more photos as soon as i can and i hope we will find the way out..i also realized that there are too many spiders in the genus ancylotrypa and,if the spider is this,now it's more difficult to recognize it.thanks again cacoseraph.i'll be back with more fotos!