What kind of snake/s should I get?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm looking to get back into snakes toward the end of the year maybe, and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions? Right now I'm considering a woma, ball python, or pair of children's pythons b/c they seem interesting, and have reputations as being docile.

But I'm looking for a snake that is docile, easy to handle/interact with, and easy to care for, as well as possibly easy to breed (overall just really fun and simple). Are these good species to look at? Or is there another species I should consider?

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
I'm looking to get back into snakes toward the end of the year maybe, and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions? Right now I'm considering a woma, ball python, or pair of children's pythons b/c they seem interesting, and have reputations as being docile.

But I'm looking for a snake that is docile, easy to handle/interact with, and easy to care for, as well as possibly easy to breed (overall just really fun and simple). Are these good species to look at? Or is there another species I should consider?
I have always had troubles with ball pythons as they can be quite picky with their eating. I would recommend a male boa constricter, I have been keeping boas for 3 years now and I have never gotten bit, they're slow moving, fairly slow growing and males don't get TOO big.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It seems like you've got your heart set on a python, and some of the more exotic ones at that. Of course, a woma will set you back quite a bit. I don't know if cost is a concern. Have you thought about some of the more typical starter snakes like corns, kings, or milks?

eminart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whatever you like most. Of the three you listed, I prefer the woma. But that's just my taste. I really like the large colubrids - Drymarchon, Spilotes, etc.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It seems like you've got your heart set on a python, and some of the more exotic ones at that. Of course, a woma will set you back quite a bit. I don't know if cost is a concern. Have you thought about some of the more typical starter snakes like corns, kings, or milks?
Well I told myself if I made it through school I'd get myself a really nice snake, so although I can't say I'll ever have much money, in this one instance the cost isn't a concern ;)

I would like something exotic, but at the same time ease of care, and a mild temperament are important. I really want a medium sized snake I can hold, and let other people hold, without worrying about being bitten or aggressive/defensive behavior. I can't say I 100% have my heart set on pythons, but it sounds like these three species are all very docile.

I can't say I would be against corns b/c I love the idea of being able to have more than one snake in an enclosure and not needing to worry about a heat lamp most of the year. I do also really like the looks of the northern pine snakes, although it sounds like they don't tolerate being handled, which is a big negative for me. I've also considered a male black headed python, but in the off chance that someday I ever have a family I couldn't justify having a snake that large in a house with a small child.

I would actually seriously consider Rubber Boas, but they sound hard to keep alive, and I don't even know if you can buy them anywhere.

Right now I'm leaning toward a woma b/c they sound like they have interesting personalities, and tolerate being handled better than most species of snakes, but I'll see. I might have half a year before I finally get to make a decision.

Last edited:

RMJ

Arachnosquire
I would recommend a Boa constrictor, they have a beautiful temperament, they're inquisitive and are gorgeous to look at/handle IMO :)

Ive had my Boa since she was 2 months old, shes now 2 and she is puppy dog tame, strike feeds, loves to get out for a stretch and has been really easy to look after :)

Attachments

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What kind of Boa constrictor is that specifically? I don't know anything about them. I know red tail boas can be tame, but they also have nasty bites so they kind of intimidate me lol