What kind of gloves would you recommend for safety in rehousing tarantulas?

insane247

Arachnosquire
I want to rehouse my p. murinus. I've been tagged by my defensive b. smithi when I was trying to put her in a container to do some house maintenance. I used tongs to guide her into it but she ran around the container where I thought my hand was safe and bit me. OBTs are a million times faster and I really really would rather not be bitten by that! She could easily get at my hand before I know she's bolting. I have to get my hands somewhat into the terrarium to hold the container and to get the lid on. I would feel much better about it if I had some gloves that her fangs cannot pierce. What material or kind of gloves would you suggest for this?

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually recommend no gloves, if you wear gloves thick enough to prevent fangs piercing you then you are not going to 'feel' things properly, like holding objects to manipulate the spider etc. and you increase the chance of harm to it. Also if your spider does run onto your hand your gona lose a lot of dexterity and coordination so it will easily escape and probably run even further up your body

If possible try and angle her enclosure towards the entrance of the new one and use a paint brush to guide her inside, I know OBTs are fast but if you do it just one touch at a time you should be fine. After she does a run and stops just let her sit and ponder your next move, if you rush then your spider will rush, if you are patient, you will be in control. Also, check my signature

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I've never used gloves for any T's, i use catch cups and scoop them up by using a soft paint brush and gently nudge the legs into the container, then put the lid on, as said, using gloves can diminish your feel of objects and they may fall, leaving the T to run or even hurt.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Exactly what Suzuki said. I do wear nitrile gloves when doing maintenance, etc with my inverts, but it is for their protection, not mine. I am regularly exposed to flea and tick products and don't want to risk exposing my inverts. Even thin nitrile or latex gloves hinder tactility and dexterity and are absolutely no barrier to tarantula fangs. Invest in tongs, chopsticks, long handled paintbrush and learn to direct your Ts from afar.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've never used gloves for any T's, i use catch cups and scoop them up by using a soft paint brush and gently nudge the legs into the container, then put the lid on, as said, using gloves can diminish your feel of objects and they may fall, leaving the T to run or even hurt.
+1. Wearing thick gloves almost guarantees problems. You're too clumsy and the spider has a much greater chance of escaping while you're fumbling around and dropping things. I doubt anyone in the hobby wears protective uses gloves.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If you're worried, use the bag method. Wearing gloves can make you clumsy and you could possibly kill your T.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
OBTs have a nasty attitude, but aren't that difficult to rehouse. Their stand and fight demeanor makes them very easy to use a catch cup on.

Don't be scurred :D

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
OP a good tip with T's, they usually/mostly behave bad in theyr enclosure (OBT as reference), once they are out/in unknown territory then even the worst T's behaviours are more reclusive, till re-housed again and settle down, dont be afraid/hesitant in moving it if need be, in my opinion catch cups are the way to go/never used the bag method it also may work.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OP a good tip with T's, they usually/mostly behave bad in theyr enclosure (OBT as reference), once they are out/in unknown territory then even the worst T's behaviours are more reclusive, till re-housed again and settle down
I have long felt this was true based on my own dealings with a few adult females. I thought perhaps it was just mine- though it did make sense because you are invading their home. Glad I was right :D

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just got a rosea from a guy that apparently never cleaned the 10 gal. tank it's in. I'm going to get a pair of OB gloves from work to clean it out. They are thin plastic that goes all the way to the shoulder. I'm only going to use them because the tank is absolutely full of hairs and the gloves, I hope, will protect me from that. The T I'm not worried about, I'll just transfer it to a catch cup while I work on the tank. This will be the first time I've ever used gloves with T's and it won't be to keep from getting bitten.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OP a good tip with T's, they usually/mostly behave bad in theyr enclosure (OBT as reference), once they are out/in unknown territory then even the worst T's behaviours are more reclusive, till re-housed again and settle down, dont be afraid/hesitant in moving it if need be, in my opinion catch cups are the way to go/never used the bag method it also may work.
This is very true, a T is in most cases more defensive in their own territory than when out, people that handle properly don't attempt to hold the T until it has exited its enclosure.

Done the rehouse yet OP? Let us know how it goes

delo

Arachnopeon
If it's a rehouse I flush them out as they don't think they're under attack. I just start filling the container slowly with water and they casually walk up the glass as water forces them up then I take my catch cup and place it over them, slide lid in place and done. It's that easy and I've done it with all my T's....H.Macs and H. Lividum included.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bit by a B. Smithi.........wow. Ok I'm not laughing at you but that is very surprising.

My advice.... be confident. Make a plan if you have too then make deliberate confident moves to execute that plan.

Hope your move goes well without incident.

Oh and I agree. Gloves will do more harm than good. With gloves you might get bit on your neck when it runs up your arm because your not prepared and confident.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Bit by a B. Smithi.........wow. Ok I'm not laughing at you but that is very surprising.
Not the species you'd expect to get nailed by, but then, B smithi have probably been responsible for more than their share of bites, as people handle them a lot, and often have sloppy techniques working with them.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
I just got a rosea from a guy that apparently never cleaned the 10 gal. tank it's in. I'm going to get a pair of OB gloves from work to clean it out. They are thin plastic that goes all the way to the shoulder. I'm only going to use them because the tank is absolutely full of hairs and the gloves, I hope, will protect me from that. The T I'm not worried about, I'll just transfer it to a catch cup while I work on the tank. This will be the first time I've ever used gloves with T's and it won't be to keep from getting bitten.
Take it outside and hose it clean!

insane247

Arachnosquire

My advice.... be confident. Make a plan if you have too then make deliberate confident moves to execute that plan.

Hope your move goes well without incident.

Oh and I agree. Gloves will do more harm than good. With gloves you might get bit on your neck when it runs up your arm because your not prepared and confident.
yeah my b. smithi is crazy. i named her schizo. other t's i've had kick once at a time. she'll kick 4 times in a row. i would never stick my hands in there because she'll guaranteed bite. they're supposed to be docile but this one is nasty

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
yeah they're supposed to be docile but this one is nasty
No spider is 'supposed to be' anything. They may usually act a certain way, but there's always individuals that will vary. Even the same spider may change it's temperment and behavior from time to time, or as it grows. That's why you don't want to get complacent. Also the reason many of us don't handle our spiders. They're wild animals and unpredictable, and have no concept of humans, captivity, and cages.

insane247

Arachnosquire
No spider is 'supposed to be' anything. They may usually act a certain way, but there's always individuals that will vary. Even the same spider may change it's temperment and behavior from time to time, or as it grows. That's why you don't want to get complacent. Also the reason many of us don't handle our spiders. They're wild animals and unpredictable, and have no concept of humans, captivity, and cages.
I was misworded. I meant they are known to be docile.

---------- Post added 05-18-2014 at 08:39 PM ----------

the rehousing went well. I had no issues getting her into the container for the transfer. The only problem was getting her out of it into the new home. She darted and I quickly closed the lid so she wouldn't escape but I dropped the transfer container lid into the enclosure and it was difficult to get out because she wanted to stay on the lid of the enclosure. I didn't wanna open it with her there because it would be easy for her to get away. Eventually she made a burrow and I was able to get the lid out.