What is your feeder set up for ease of use?

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all --

If you have a large number of tarantulas, what is your feeding routine? I use crickets most of the time, and use long tweezers to get them out.

I dump the crickets from their habitat into a clean plastic tub and then pull them out from there. With larger crickets, I find that they can occasionally jump just right and get out. But anything deeper/larger to put them in would be a hassle - I need space on my desk to do it, and prefer everything to be organized in a feeding assembly line.

I take the crickets out of their usual habitat so I don't get any of the dead ones. Usually I just take the egg crate and tap it over the plastic container I am using, so it's crickets only.

I'd like to hear the feeding methods of others -- especially if you are feeding medium/large crickets in large quantities.

Thanks!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I keep my livefood together in a 70lt (guess) tub (apart from my fly casters). Brown crickets, silent crickets, morio worms and dubai roaches.

I just pick what I ever I need up and put them in a smaller tub to take to the animal room. I keep my livefood tub uncovered in the bath.

Then I just put the food into the enclosures.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I hate those special cricket tubs with the tubes you shake into the cage. Basically useless, you have no control over how many come out.

I keep my mealies in a wide tub with a couple inches of sub, same for supers.

Crickets never last longer than a couple days around my collection. There's always something that would like nore

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hey all --

If you have a large number of tarantulas, what is your feeding routine? I use crickets most of the time, and use long tweezers to get them out.

I dump the crickets from their habitat into a clean plastic tub and then pull them out from there. With larger crickets, I find that they can occasionally jump just right and get out. But anything deeper/larger to put them in would be a hassle - I need space on my desk to do it, and prefer everything to be organized in a feeding assembly line.

I take the crickets out of their usual habitat so I don't get any of the dead ones. Usually I just take the egg crate and tap it over the plastic container I am using, so it's crickets only.

I'd like to hear the feeding methods of others -- especially if you are feeding medium/large crickets in large quantities.

Thanks!

I grab however many crickets I need from the bin and disperse them into the collection accordingly.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Mealies and supers are in in tubs with a couple inches of substrate (the former are kept in the fridge), my roaches are in a large plastic container that sits on top of a board with a couple of small heat mats taped to it (they stop laying ooths otherwise, as I recently found out).

I just just pick out whatever I need and and feed off accordingly.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
I mist my dubias and put food on top of the eggcrate so they climb up where I can pick them off.

If this goes on long enough it'll probably change the genetic makeup of my colony so they'll eat less and be timid and flighty...lol.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I use disposable gloves, soak some paper towels in water, and clean my cricket container almost daily or it will stink. I then change my gloves and gradually pick up crickets for each size of spider/etc in my collection. The collection isn't as much work as maintaining the cricket container is haha.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I hate those special cricket tubs with the tubes you shake into the cage. Basically useless, you have no control over how many come out.
Gosh I couldn't agree more. I bought one of those and it is a pain. The tubes either have 5 crickets or no crickets. I really startled my shy G pulchripes when I accidentally put 4 crickets all at once in her enclosure.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Gosh I couldn't agree more. I bought one of those and it is a pain. The tubes either have 5 crickets or no crickets. I really startled my shy G pulchripes when I accidentally put 4 crickets all at once in her enclosure.
Such a waste of money. Got me too back in the day.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Dubais mostly but offer crickets occasionally for variety. Feed the roaches citrus fruits or cucumbers and fluckers cricket feed. Use tongs to feed each tarantula. No smell and no chirping noises keeping dubai roaches so what's not to like? plus they breed like crazy.

Attachments

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
For those when keep dubias, what kind of container do you keep them in?
Kritter keeper with about an half inch of eco earth on the bottom and egg cartons for them to hide under and some of the dubais will burrow into the eco earth.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dubias are the feeders of choice, I keep them in large plastic tubs with glued on screen, on large cut out lid. They got egg crates, no substrate. When I feed, I would pick up an egg crate tap it inside another large tub, put them in a sterile plastic shoe box, and feed to them to the Ts. And put whatever leftover back into the bin.