What is your favorite bark scorpion and why?

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
C'mon, somebody else must have another guess as to what Centruroides this is?.
lol not many bark scorpion lovers around, personally O.asper is my favriot 'bark scorp' but figured Centruroides was what was ment :rolleyes:
i was told Centruroides exilicauda gertchi for tthe ones in the picture think ive got 2 or 3 morphs from different locations havent finished unpackign things yet though. those are SE Az morphs in the pic and i think your right i believe these are what they use to call sculpturatus.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got curious, so I started reading about C. gertschi, and it looks as though the scorpion originally known as gertschi was later changed to a synonym for C. exilicauda. Stahnke described the species in 1971.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Mike...Dave and I collected a bunch of C.exilicauda nee gertschi as well...very sweet looking colormorphs...so were the C.vittatus we caught in Carlsbad...actually very similar looking to the C.exilicauda you/we collected.

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Here's a picture of C.exilicauda (nee gertschi) mating. John caught them in the act just before Tamara found a Mojave rattler. Fortunately they stuck around until after I was done photographing the rattler and I got some good pics. Got one of them "kissing" but it is just ever so slightly out of focus. We let them be, but I do have some pics I took today of one of my captives with babies on her back (popped since I got home yesterday at 0330) mating with one of my captive males.

Cheers,
Dave

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
beautiful! did you or John catch any extras? those are absolutely gorgeous! :D i can see why carpe loves them so much now!! :p

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Now contrast this with this picture of a Carlsbad area C.vittatus eating a Vaejovis.

Cheers,
Dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Oh, and as to the original question, I'm with Mike on this. Opisthacanthus kicks ass. I have O.asper, O.rugiceps and one I'm not sure on. Just picked up some Cheloctonus (Opisthacanthus look-alikes, though very different lifestyle) too. Lychas isn't bad as "bark scorpions" go either. As for Centruroides, of the ones I've kept I prefer C.margaritatus. Wouldn't mind laying my hands on some C.bicolor or C.nigrescens one day, though.

Cheers,
Dave

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
Now contrast this with this picture of a Carlsbad area C.vittatus eating a Vaejovis.

Cheers,
Dave
one thing i notice on that vittatus is a clearly defined triangle mask, and sort of dashed stripes. beautiful! mind if i save either of these pics?

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
Here's a picture of C.exilicauda (nee gertschi) mating. John caught them in the act just before Tamara found a Mojave rattler. Fortunately they stuck around until after I was done photographing the rattler and I got some good pics. Got one of them "kissing" but it is just ever so slightly out of focus. We let them be, but I do have some pics I took today of one of my captives with babies on her back (popped since I got home yesterday at 0330) mating with one of my captive males.

Cheers,
Dave
I wish my scorps mated that way, in stead of the ol'
"I-sting-you-dead-then-have-my-way-with-you"
sort of way.

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:

Cheers,
Dave
You know, if they consentrated on concuring the world instead of eating eachother I think they'd be a bit more sucsessful. {D

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mike-troll- said:
well i use to think vittatus had some cool color morphs but then i came across these guys in Az. you get to guess what they are ;P
HANDLING CENTRUROIDES SSP IS ABSOLUTLY NOT RECOMENDED

I've found a handfull of these guys in Phoenix. They are fun, they always sting for thier meals. I had the most entertaining time watching one sting a cricket three times the size of it. After the stining it used it's palps to flip the cricket over on its back on a rock. It then proceeded to much on the cricket head first for two days. At the second day all that was left was a fat scorpion and a few legs. {D

Definatley these are my favorite. I am bias of course because they are the only Bark's I have exerpience with, but they have good qualities. Agressive and Skittish at same time, good eaters, efficent killers, great color, and ALWAYS hungry. :}

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
ShaunHolder said:
I've found a handfull of these guys in Phoenix.
Interesting. All the C.exilicauda I have ever seen that were collected in the Phoenix area were the more traditional yellow -to-orange variety. None of the distinct pattern shown here.

Cheers,
Dave

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
Interesting. All the C.exilicauda I have ever seen that were collected in the Phoenix area were the more traditional yellow -to-orange variety. None of the distinct pattern shown here.

Cheers,
Dave
ok, so what part of AZ did you find those morphs in?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
skinheaddave said:
I do have some pics I took today of one of my captives with babies on her back (popped since I got home yesterday at 0330) mating with one of my captive males.

Cheers,
Dave

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dave, beautiful shot, thanks for sharing it. I am reminded that I need to go camera shopping.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
I've found a handfull of these guys in Phoenix. They are fun, they always sting for thier meals. I had the most entertaining time watching one sting a cricket three times the size of it. After the stining it used it's palps to flip the cricket over on its back on a rock. It then proceeded to much on the cricket head first for two days. At the second day all that was left was a fat scorpion and a few legs. {D

Definatley these are my favorite. I am bias of course because they are the only Bark's I have exerpience with, but they have good qualities. Agressive and Skittish at same time, good eaters, efficent killers, great color, and ALWAYS hungry. :}
Have you taken any photos of the Phoenix morphs?.

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my personal fav if Babycurus Jacksoni, red devil bark scorpion from africa, yeah im sure you all know that, but just incase, gotta love the choclate morph

or if you meant from the 'new world', id have to go with C. Bicolor, only because i love their color morps, dark body with bright bright legs, not sure if all of them look like the one on scorpion files, but i love that coloration

Wolvie

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wolvie56X said:
my personal fav if Babycurus Jacksoni, red devil bark scorpion from africa, yeah im sure you all know that, but just incase, gotta love the choclate morph

or if you meant from the 'new world', id have to go with C. Bicolor, only because i love their color morps, dark body with bright bright legs, not sure if all of them look like the one on scorpion files, but i love that coloration

Wolvie
c. bicolor? all the pics i have seen differ little.
and good choice w/ B. jacksoni, but i find the chocolate to be so less interesting than the classic red morph

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
Have you taken any photos of the Phoenix morphs?.
Yes, as dave has mentioned earlier, they are very bright in thier coloration. They have the same markings, but they are diffrent in coloration. I have seen many young scorplings, and only one full adult male. All but one bark I've captured have been of a brilliant orange color. Very fun to view.

I have many many pics of these scorpions, unfortunatley I'm in Michigan right now visiting my parents. I'm on summer break from college. When I get back home I'll upload some pictures for you guys.