What is this tarantula?

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wasn't trying to be rude. I was saying, if it is really that hard to pay attention, I would get medication. That is my opinion, like I said, I am not trying to sound rude, you're just taking it that way.
I don't know.. I have experienced the feeling of buying Ts at an expo. It is quite exhilarating and I can understand how OP didn't catch the freebie species name.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks for not telling me I need meds I really appreciate it.
Hey, I'm no doctor and I'm not trying to play one on the interweb, either:wink:

I got other things to worry about, like 4 of my 5 fantasy football teams collapsing this weekend in the playoffs.:(

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
Hey, I'm no doctor and I'm not trying to play one on the interweb, either:wink:

I got other things to worry about, like 4 of my 5 fantasy football teams collapsing this weekend in the playoffs.:(
Thank you CB you made me smile
Lol I'm a lions fan and this is the best we've done in a long while so I'm pretty pleased. I hope we can make it to the playoffs but the Packers will most likely dominate us.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love mystery T's. I have one right now and have a had a few in the past. Rear it like any sling.

You don't need medication for not remembering a tarantula's name, that's a bad diagnosis. Besides, I don't think there is a medication that treats TNRLD (tarantula nomenclature retention loss disorder), it effects many on these forums, you're not alone, you're in the right place. I make light for relief - don't let the psuedoprigs here bug you too much.

While I'm at it, I'll guess it's an Aphonopelma of some sort.

Last edited:

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
Yeah im excited about it too :D the anticipation is really nice. Yeah i misted the substrate very lightly and the T. wasn't really annoyed by it so ill continue that weekly or bi weekly. Thank you so much yeah hopefully i don't get the case of TNRLD for a good while xD Oh i think i just let him get to me and i overreacted but ive never gotten such a mean comment before, and i wont thank you. Im a really bad newbie Xo.
If its an Aphonopelma ill be really happy, i lost my MF Aphonopelma chalcodes a couple months ago and another Aphonopelma would make my year!! :D

Rhodin

Arachnosquire
Contact the breeder, they can probably tell you what they were giving away as freebies that day. Even if they were giving away more than one species it'll be easier to identify 1 out of 10 than 1 out of every possible species of t there is.

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
I don't know.. I have experienced the feeling of buying Ts at an expo. It is quite exhilarating and I can understand how OP didn't catch the freebie species name.
It was quite busy at the convention, Thank you for standing up for me.

---------- Post added 12-16-2014 at 01:10 AM ----------

Contact the breeder, they can probably tell you what they were giving away as freebies that day. Even if they were giving away more than one species it'll be easier to identify 1 out of 10 than 1 out of every possible species of t there is.
I facebook messaged him and hopefully he'll get back to me tomorrow :)

Neoza

Arachnobaron
My A. Geniculata slings also pop their abdomen in the air when they feel threatened! Its really cute, i love it when they do it! :D when i fed them and they see the cricket, they pop up their abdomen and then strike! Hahaha!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My A. Geniculata slings also pop their abdomen in the air when they feel threatened! Its really cute, i love it when they do it! :D when i fed them and they see the cricket, they pop up their abdomen and then strike!
It makes them look bigger and more intimidating, like when cats arch their backs. Attackers would also be more likely to get a mouthful of hairs.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
It makes them look bigger and more intimidating, like when cats arch their backs. Attackers would also be more likely to get a mouthful of hairs.
Indeed, its the most funiest way of defending. And it is effective for crickets, but its so funny when they do it to us!! Its like a toddler who wants to defend him by beating on my food :D

FaaFaa

Arachnopeon
A mystery T! What fun! Can't wait to see what you ended up with. Did you ever hear from the seller?

Looks just like my little rosie, but they all look similar at that size, so that is by no means a guess. Good thing all slings are all pretty happy kept in the same conditions!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
While I'm at it, I'll guess it's an Aphonopelma of some sort.
All the Aphonopelma slings I've had were way lighter color than this. I'm thinking grammostola or brachypelma.Then again, that's not to say ALL aphono slings are lighter, just in my experience they are.

MY guess it's probably G. Rosea or B. Albopilosum. I do also recognize that all slings look like this at that size, and those are just educated guesses because of how common and often they're given as freebies. Keep us updated on the little guys growth OP!

Last edited:

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bet he doesn't even have to remember this specific deal. He's probably giving the same thing to all the customers.
If they were all the same then he would know exactly what it was... lol

MrDave

Arachnosquire
If they were all the same then he would know exactly what it was... lol
How? OP doesn't remember what she was given, so depends upon the dealer knowing what it was. I was suggesting that the seller doesn't have to remember this particular transaction because he was giving the same freebie to all buyers (that got a freebie anyway).

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
My A. Geniculata slings also pop their abdomen in the air when they feel threatened! Its really cute, i love it when they do it! :D when i fed them and they see the cricket, they pop up their abdomen and then strike! Hahaha!
Aww I wish they could do it all the time it was cutest thing I've ever seen [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] I fed her a baby roach and her little butt pops up its too precious [emoji7]

---------- Post added 12-16-2014 at 04:05 PM ----------

A mystery T! What fun! Can't wait to see what you ended up with. Did you ever hear from the seller?

Looks just like my little rosie, but they all look similar at that size, so that is by no means a guess. Good thing all slings are all pretty happy kept in the same conditions!
Yeah I'm pretty excited too I love the feeling of anticipation
No I actually didn't he was on FB but didn't even reply to me
yeah ill keep the little guy/girl in a
normal living condition like as if it's a Gramostola or a brachypelma. Aww I love g. Roseas [emoji7]

---------- Post added 12-16-2014 at 04:10 PM ----------

All the Aphonopelma slings I've had were way lighter color than this. I'm thinking grammostola or brachypelma.Then again, that's not to say ALL aphono slings are lighter, just in my experience they are.

MY guess it's probably G. Rosea or B. Albopilosum. I do also recognize that all slings look like this at that size, and those are just educated guesses because of how common and often they're given as freebies. Keep us updated on the little guys growth OP!
Oh yeah of course I'll keep you guys updated ☺ I can't wait till I know what the the little one is

---------- Post added 12-16-2014 at 04:18 PM ----------

How? OP doesn't remember what she was given, so depends upon the dealer knowing what it was. I was suggesting that the seller doesn't have to remember this particular transaction because he was giving the same freebie to all buyers (that got a freebie anyway).
Yeah I'm sure my dealer won't reply back to me. He's been on Facebook for a while and he didn't even spare a glance at my pm, I pretty annoyed.

---------- Post added 12-16-2014 at 04:21 PM ----------

Thank you to everyone who helped me out I really appreciate it. I'm kinda relieved and happy because of this little mystery fella. I'll keep everyone updated as the little T. grows .

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
After days of searching Google images I have figured out what it is..it's questionalidae unsurem! Lol.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What fun! Can't wait to see what you ended up with.
The downside to that is that with some species, you may never know what it is for sure, even as an adult, if you didn't get the latin name up front.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
^ What Poec said. If its a Grammostola, Brachypelma, or Aphonopelma, there is a good chance you will never find out what it is. Which will leave you with a unbreedable female, or a mature male wandering its enclosure, making you feel bad because he cant find a mate. Your best bet is to keep pressuring the dealer now, and try to get this little creature figured out. Will save you alot of headache later.

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
After days of searching Google images I have figured out what it is..it's questionalidae unsurem! Lol.
Aww thank you soooo much you've answered all my questions....

---------- Post added 12-21-2014 at 10:15 PM ----------

I figured it out! What is this tarantula?

*It is a sling!* It was a trick question! ;)
Thank you also for that information it really helps

---------- Post added 12-21-2014 at 10:17 PM ----------

The downside to that is that with some species, you may never know what it is for sure, even as an adult, if you didn't get the latin name up front.
But I don't understand why not? Don't all t.'s have distinct differences between themselves?

---------- Post added 12-21-2014 at 10:19 PM ----------

^ What Poec said. If its a Grammostola, Brachypelma, or Aphonopelma, there is a good chance you will never find out what it is. Which will leave you with a unbreedable female, or a mature male wandering its enclosure, making you feel bad because he cant find a mate. Your best bet is to keep pressuring the dealer now, and try to get this little creature figured out. Will save you alot of headache later.
I've messaged the dealer several times and he just ignores them. But I don't understand why wouldn't they be able to know what it is?