what is the largest salamander you can legally keep in the US?

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
Like, I know two-toed and three-toed Amphiumas technically count, and that Tiger Salamanders are pretty sizeable, but aside from those, what are the largest salamanders you can legally keep? I've seen Chinese and Japanese Giants and Hellbenders for sale rarely online, but I have zero intentions for getting either, considering they're both critically endangered and humongous anyways. I mean a Hellbender would be cool, but those are also endangered.

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that's depends on your state... Every state has different laws about different species

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Do you count sirens? Those get three feet long.

Aside from that, there are Iberian newts, which are similar in size to tiger salamanders. But most salamanders are pretty small. That doesn't make them less cool, though, IMO.

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
Amphiumas I think are the largest you could keep in the u.s.. If you are looking for something local, there are mudpuppies in specific localities in the northeast.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you have the ole classic texas barred tiger salamander,big colorful,very hardy,pretty easy to get(when they are in season ofcourse) and the eastern tiger aswell

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
you have the ole classic texas barred tiger salamander,big colorful,very hardy,pretty easy to get(when they are in season ofcourse) and the eastern tiger aswell
I never even knew those things existed, such beautiful amphibians! How big are they?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they get pretty big,and very thick aswell,some can get to 12" they come in array of different patterns,they can live up to 10yrs,maybe even longer,definitly something to look into.