What is happening to my wolf spider?

HighFivePete

Arachnopeon
Hi All,
Newbie here, I caught this guy under the kitchen table a little under a month ago. He is some kind of wolf spider and I'm assuming full grown. I caught him with the intent to set him free 2 blocks down the road in a field as the neighborhood is heavily sprayed. I live in Southern Utah where it is hot around 8 months out of the year so feral roaches are a big pest here and h.o.a. sprays a lot. Anyways one look at his face and he was mine and luckily we had just let our Giant Asian mantis free so she could breed so he was put in her tank. He ate really well the first week or 2 but has slowed down significantly and today I noticed this on his back side. Does it look like an injury? I know as an adult his life is limited, should I keep him or set him free? Our night temps are still in the 40s but will be cooling soon.
I literally only know about spiders what I have learned from research in the past month of having him. Hopefully you guys can help! Screenshot_20171102-230206.png IMG_20171102_132817_078.jpg IMG_20171024_105349_859.jpg

Wout

Arachnopeon
Sounds like premolt. When i look at his pedipalp it's not an adult jet. I'm also quite new in the hobby so I'm no expert. This would be my geuss.

HighFivePete

Arachnopeon
Wow I thought he was an adult! I certainly hope this is the case as I really like the little fella. I'm not sure what type he is but he's already pretty big.

HighFivePete

Arachnopeon
Sounds like premolt. When i look at his pedipalp it's not an adult jet. I'm also quite new in the hobby so I'm no expert. This would be my geuss.
How long would that take and do i need to do anything for him?
I thought he got hurt as his legs are balding too in the same area. Like maybe tried to get under or between 2 rocks and go rubbed bald.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Wolf spiders like to burrow. He might be sitting still because he can't burrow under anything if there's no avaliable hide for him and it's stressing him out. He may have rubbed hair off trying to get under something. If it is a premolt state, leave them alone, make sure they have a water dish with it completely filled up, and leave them be to do their thing. The abodmen looks somewhat shrivelled.

Offer a burrow of sorts. A cut up plastic plant pot, something tight and cozy for them. You may have even caught a female. If this is the case, they might burrow themselves in for a long time, and then emerge with a viable egg sac.

Can you post a picture of the entire enclosure?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I think it is likely a mature male. (A penultimate male has translucent, undefined palps.)

Unfortunately, not having much of an appetite is normal for mature males. They are singularly focused on finding females. As they get older, they gradually slow down until they die.

HighFivePete

Arachnopeon
He has a place to hide but prefers to sit on rocks. It looks to be an injury, there was more big rocks in there previously on top of the others and when I noticed the scrape I took them out.
Would the kindest thing be to let him back outside so he can find a mate?
Will the temp change shock him?
Our weather changes fast in Nov. 80s last week and mid 60s this next week.
We caught another one in the house yesterday, still big but quite a bit smaller than Pete is.

Attachments

HighFivePete

Arachnopeon
It looks way better now though, the scrape. Still bald but smooth and not wrinkled looking.
I will probably free him. We like to catch the "big bugs" around here but like the Asian Mantis we free them so that they can follow their instincts and reproduce.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Aha, sorry for doubting you. That cage looks alright to me. Sometimes people forget something as simple as a hide, and hides make for happy spiders. In some cases. :p

Temperature shocks can slow a spider down but they're usually okay, it takes a while for a spider to succumb to the cold, and they are quite hardy in nature. If they're native to your area they should be alright with the sudden decrease. Release him, and let him fufill his purpose to seduce some sexy lady spider out there.

HighFivePete

Arachnopeon
I think that's best as well. I'm on my way out to get some crickets so I will feed him tonight and then free him in the field tomorrow. :)
He's been a great little pet. It's amazing how even insects can recognize you. He was pretty jumpy when we first caught him and now I can put my hand right in there. Hence the name "high five Pete" I put a pen cap above him to get his attention and when he put his forelegs up I put my finger on it and took a picture. The kids got a huge kick out it haha. My friends think I'm a weirdo.