What is a small tarantula

Purpleorange8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What Tarantula stays pretty small and doesn't get huge and is not alot of money to buy?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
holothele incei, c. fasciatum, c. elegans, and i know theres more....just look

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you looking for dwarf tarantulas (typically don't get much larger than 2" or so) or one's are considered 'small' relative to most other normal Ts (around 5" or so)?

If looking for dwarfs, try specimens from the Heterothele and Holothele genera. For the latter, try Cyriocosmus or Chromatopelma for the better lookings ones (IMO) but there are many many more.

EDIT: Whoops. Cyriocosmus should have been in the dwarf category. I meant Cyclosternum for the latter. :)

Last edited:

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The Yamias are also rather small asian varieties if you're into OW's.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P. scrofa stay pretty small. They are pretty, affordable, and mine is very calm. Don't know if that applies to them all, but I would bet they generally lean in that direction. Good luck

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
C. elegans, and Holothele spp. come to my mind right offhand. Not sure how much E. pachypus runs, but I've heard they're worth checking out too. In the around 4" size category C. fasciatum is really cheap (I think I paid less than $10 for my sling), and quite beautiful. The GBB costs more, but is better looking IMO.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My fav small T is C fasciatum. Get a sling. They are cheap as slings and grow really quickly.

The T itself is pretty, but a bit skittish and fast. Just so you know. Hope you weren't hoping to handle it. Otherwise i'll have to think a bit more.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just got some C. elegans slings...they are about as tiny as they come.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A.versicolor, they usually top out at 4in. ;)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
E. pachypus is an African mini-T. They're pretty docile but skittish and have a very different, interesting look. They're burrowers; not quite what i'd call a pet hole but close.

Rindy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my Euathalus Red, is full grown 2.5 to three inches and cost $50.oo and soo cute and she can be held...I am hoping she will be a mommy, her boyfriend is just waiting for her to settle in her new home

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phlogiellus inermis?
i dont know if you can get them,but they stay small,3" max,and i can get em near my house.:D

Link

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Holothele incei are my favorite small T. They have a metallic olive green color, and they can be kept communally very easily (from the same egg sac).

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would reccomend anything from the Cyriocosmus genus. They have a pretty speedy growth rate and are amongst the smallest theraphosids in the world (I think C.elegans is currently the smallest tarantula in the world) And they are stunning T's.

Cyclosternum fasciatum is a pretty small T too, they are stunning as well. :)

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Even non-sac mates can be introduced into a colony fairly easily for the most part. The maternal behaviours of this sp. are amazing. My girl just hatched out a sac of 120 or so babies and feeding is a joy to watch. She'll stun the prey then set it down near the babies. Babies will then swarm the prey. Awesome to watch since the roach is almost always still kicking while the babies fight with it. For particularly stubborn prey, momma will stun it and then beat it up over and over again if it kicks too much. Very fun to watch. Not so much for the roach I'm betting...

Holothele incei are my favorite small T. They have a metallic olive green color, and they can be kept communally very easily (from the same egg sac).

Link

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Even non-sac mates can be introduced into a colony fairly easily for the most part. The maternal behaviours of this sp. are amazing. My girl just hatched out a sac of 120 or so babies and feeding is a joy to watch. She'll stun the prey then set it down near the babies. Babies will then swarm the prey. Awesome to watch since the roach is almost always still kicking while the babies fight with it. For particularly stubborn prey, momma will stun it and then beat it up over and over again if it kicks too much. Very fun to watch. Not so much for the roach I'm betting...
Cool, man. I've not actually set up a communal tank of these, but I really would like to sometime in the future. It would be like a tiny world, or maybe more like a neighborhood.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
C. fasciatum gets my vote. Mine was gorgeous and since it was very shy it was always exciting to get a glimpse. They web up a good burrow, so make sure you give it a starter burrow right next to the glass.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the cyriocosmus genus and euathlus sp. red are my favorite dwarfs. very small and very pretty.