What if a "confirmed female" is actually male?

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Just curious since I know this has happened in the past to some members and will most likely happen in the future (and may be my case but not sure yet). What should one do if they bought a confirmed female but it ended up a mature male a while later? Contacting the initial seller would be the first thing to do right? But what proof would I have to show that it was that exact T in the first place?
I purchased a confirmed female Harpactira pulchripes from a well known dealer; I know it's not the best sexing method so I'm optimistic but ventraly it doesn't look female and would actually be surprised if it is indeed female. It is nearing premolt so I'll have my answer for what sex it really is soon. But as to what I should do if it were male I'm not sure.

If anyone is curious here's a vent pic
View attachment 207017

-JohnD.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I would contact the seller you bought it from. He must remember you bought it. I wish you the best. the picture is too close up, can`t really see. Sorry:sorry:
I once tried this with a P.metallica a couple of month after turned out mature male, i was pissed off, :banghead: because i did not remember to safe the adress or phone number, but why would i, i believed him.;)

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Usually breeders are pretty experience when it comes to sexing. Could they have made a mistake? Sure but very unlikely. You can prove it if you get a good mold. If it is a good breeder and he made a mistake he would probably offer a solution.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
If it turns out to be male (I really cannot see anything from your picture), you should contact the seller. He might offer you some compensation or send you another T for example.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Simply contact the seller if the seller does not want to respond to your claim with a positive attitude and resolve the issue, than just simply give a negative review that it turned out male and don't ever buy from the seller again. Very simple task to do on your part.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
These things happens, most sellers will make it right if you contact them.

I've had the exact opposite happen to me, I wanted an immature male and got a female instead, but it's harder to be mad in my situation. I kept her for future breeding though so I have no first hand experience contacting a seller about it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The arrangement is between you and the seller. Whatever was said/written is what you have to go by. A male sold as a 'confirmed female' should be replaced or refunded, and most sellers will step up and do the right thing. They don't want a bad review. You have that as leverage if they give excuses or drag their feet. Some may be sold out of replacements, others may not have the cash left to refund.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's a rare event with Pro, but could happen. I remember here in Italy a breeder i know, very skilled (he mostly works in Germany, he speaks perfect German being him from Bolzano/Bozen, Northern Italy, majority of people are of German heritage/name/surnames) he sold a 1.0 Hysterocrates gigas that was in heavy pre-molt instead of a 0.1.
He replaced the Baboon after seeing pics of the "boxing gloves" once he matured.

Talking with the seller/breeder is the only thing. Contact him, show him pics etc not to mention that for breeders 1.0 are important. Think about a 1.0 P.muticus, no one wants those little per se, but they are very important.

Steve123

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Hey John. That looks to be male as I compare to some vent pics Austin S. sent me (I am embarrassed to say I made the same mistake when I gifted him a pulchripes sling). I'm with the above advice, and would add, well-known [dealer] and inexperienced with tarantulas can be one and the same. Good luck with your efforts.