What happens now?

19tarantula91

Arachnosquire
I bred my P. Pederseni awhile back as my first breeding project. She just laid her egg sack a few days ago and I have a few questions. 1 Do I continue to feed her after she laid the sack? this sounds like a stupid question but I am just trying to take as many precautions as I can. I am guessing you should especially since you don't want her to eat the sack. 2 I know that every T is different as far as when to pull the sack. I was thinking about waiting around 28 days to pull it. Is that too soon or should it be longer? Thanks for the help!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats! I usually dont feed when they have sacs, which keeps opening the enclosure to a minimum. I just pulled a P. regalis sac yesterday at day 35. There are all eggs with legs. If you want, you can pull at day 28, but i would wait until 35-40 to pull. Good luck.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
If you can't even research these easy questions, how do you even know you paired the same species? I'm sorry but this just grinds my gears.

You truly haven't "bred" anything until you have second instars(in most cases) that are feeding.

19tarantula91

Arachnosquire
If you can't even research these easy questions, how do you even know you paired the same species? I'm sorry but this just grinds my gears.

You truly haven't "bred" anything until you have second instars(in most cases) that are feeding.
Haha Dude... Chill. Get over yourself and realize this is a hobby and not humans that are at stake.

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
Haha Dude... Chill. Get over yourself and realize this is a hobby and not humans that are at stake.
Don't mind advan he has some issues... I am sure he is working on it though lol!

I never feed my moms when they have their sacs. Few questions though.. Is you pederseni all closed off in her hide with the sac? Did you feed her pretty good during the gestation? Most T's close themselves off from prey/predators during the brooding, so feeding is kind of redundant. I have personally never had a mom drop her sac and tear apart her hide entrance and venture out for food. But then again I have feed them pretty good before they dropped. Catfish said it best on when to pull the sac. Although I should also ask what the temps/humudity are in the enclosure? 26C-28C or 78f-82f is a good temp to keep it at to ensure nominal growth of the eggs (humidity I keep at 80%). Do that and definitely by the 35 day mark you will have EWL's heck maybe even 1i. Congrats on the sac anyways! I remember my first breeding attempt, she was very gentle with the sac..... ahh memories.... :)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Thanks for showing how much you care for our hobby! :) The issue is that what you breed can have a negative effect on the hobby. Where are all those slings going to go? All I was pointing out is if you can't do a little research on breeding, I'm guessing you didn't do any research on the differences between Poecilotheria. I truly hope you do have a full blooded sac of P. pederseni for the sake of our hobby.

Don't mind advan he has some issues... I am sure he is working on it though lol!
LOL, I'm guessing the ignore feature didn't work as well as you hoped? Maybe you should try it again! :D I'm guessing you are fine with people creating life without research that could have an effect on the rest of the hobby? Kudos to you!

Last edited:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So expecting people to do a minimal amount of research before attempting to breed tarantulas is a sign of having issues? I guess I have more issues than I thought.

Why research when you can just ask and have someone else do it for you? Right guys?

Giygas

Arachnosquire
Ok, sure, maybe he did overlook a few things before the initial pairing, but I think it would be best if we pooled our efforts into at least helping him manage to keep the eggs in good shape.

Your answers concerning the time period is there already, dont disturb her until its time to pull the sac, you could also move her into a more peaceful room. There are some good incubator tutorials, look them up.

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
So expecting people to do a minimal amount of research before attempting to breed tarantulas is a sign of having issues? I guess I have more issues than I thought.

Why research when you can just ask and have someone else do it for you? Right guys?
Spiders have been doing this for millions of years with and without our intervention. I am sure everything will be ok. "Why research when you can just ask and have someone else do it for you? Right guys?" Hmm... must be nice to be the first person to ever research the breeding habits/conditions needed for proper husbandry of Tarantulas at it's inception as a science/hobby... ;) Most everything you, I, or anybody has learned about spiders has come from someone else and their research. Via a book/article/friend/T.V/Grandma/Grandpa/Mom or Dad. Some people prefer to ask the question to other human beings rather than read it/watch it, it's faster. Just be glad that he/she is asking the right questions and be glad that you have to answers to help. Really why are you online in the "Questions" and "Discussion" section if you do not want to answer the "questions" by discussing it? Just stick to the picture threads and the search engine looking for articles your lives will be much better and less stressful believe me. Let those who wish to help, help and those who want to be helped receive it without condescension. Hope this enlightens your view and anyone one else who shares it, if not, god help us cause with no one giving out new information (or old) the hobby/science of Spiders will fade....

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
Oh and just to clarify the issues that I was addressing about (advans) with out coming right out and saying it was not the incorrect conclusion of "to do a minimal amount of research before attempting to breed tarantulas is a sign of having issues?" I was addressing, some what tactfully, his irrational agitation towards the OP questions. It just isn't healthy to get upset at such things or to allow any type of "gear grinding" because of such a small simple situation. It damages him self (by aparently gear chaffing) and the Op for ever possibly wanting to ask another question. Hope this clarifies the inconsistency in your conclusion Jayefbe. Don't let it upset you, I am honestly here to help. If you don't believe me check out my other posts. I always try to be helpful with T knowledge and life wisdom. :) It goes hand in hand...

---------- Post added 04-24-2012 at 02:21 PM ----------

+10 brownie points ^
Thanks friend!

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Spiders have been doing this for millions of years with and without our intervention. I am sure everything will be ok. "Why research when you can just ask and have someone else do it for you? Right guys?" Hmm... must be nice to be the first person to ever research the breeding habits/conditions needed for proper husbandry of Tarantulas at it's inception as a science/hobby... ;) Most everything you, I, or anybody has learned about spiders has come from someone else and their research. Via a book/article/friend/T.V/Grandma/Grandpa/Mom or Dad. Some people prefer to ask the question to other human beings rather than read it/watch it, it's faster. Just be glad that he/she is asking the right questions and be glad that you have to answers to help. Really why are you online in the "Questions" and "Discussion" section if you do not want to answer the "questions" by discussing it? Just stick to the picture threads and the search engine looking for articles your lives will be much better and less stressful believe me. Let those who wish to help, help and those who want to be helped receive it without condescension. Hope this enlightens your view and anyone one else who shares it, if not, god help us cause with no one giving out new information (or old) the hobby/science of Spiders will fade....
We're all for new information and discussions but the OP's questions are nothing new, I'm sorry to say.

I couldn't of said it better myself:
If your goal is to get quality information with regards to your question then it definitely pays to run a search. Arachnoboards has been running in this format for almost 10 years now and over the years there have been a lot of incredibly useful posts by people who really know their stuff inside and out. If you go back through the archives you will find what I believe is still the best internet compilation of the thoughts, opinions and methodologies of those that have taken this hobby foward in leaps and bounds. You will also sometimes find conflicting reports or debates among coleagues that illuminate various facets of the complex underpinnings of our favourite critters -- a complexity which is often not properly explored in two line answers, care sheets etc. In short, you will often get a broader, more accurate and just plain better understanding of the material in question if you take the time to just run through the threads that pop up in a search here than you will through something like a google search (read: 1000 care sheets, all of which are carbon copies of the last).

Conversely, there is now a culture on here whereby the pursuit of knowledge has taken a back seat to ego-driven pedantry. Those who are still making strides to develop the hobby in inovative ways and expand the selection of species that are captively bred, expand our knowledge of animal husbandry and bridge the gap between the world of academia and our own no longer seem interested in dealing with the current climate. As a result, information is now only doled out in carefully portioned pieces and always with a thorough scolding for not having had the information already. This is perhaps an invetable result of the success of AB. With this many members it is hard to foster a culture of collegial exploration so in many ways the madmen get to run the asylum.

So perhaps if you aren't up for taking the wrath of the "experts" you should give participation in the current boards a miss and spend your time delving through the rich archives here. I guarantee you will learn a LOT.

Cheers,
Dave

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
chad .. you are VERY informative and somebody whose posts ive read AND learned from a bunch, but i WILL say that THAT post was kind of harsh.:embarrassed: Instead of belittling the op, you could have just ignored it or chose to not answer. I THOUGHT myself better than pairing without all the answers, but have currently found MYSELF askin alot of questions from other members with experience. Its not that im too lazy to research, its just that were all here to learn from others... SOMETIMES that CANT be done by merely reading old posts. If youre not willing to SHARE your knowledge with people then what is its use? Come off the high horse man seriously. Not all cases of irresponsibility should be shamed. The op likely is just asking because he/she is nervous and wants everything to go smoothly because he/she truly CARES for the safety of the mom and potential offspring.:wink:

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
chad .. you are VERY informative and somebody whose posts ive read AND learned from a bunch, but i WILL say that THAT post was kind of harsh.:embarrassed: Instead of belittling the op, you could have just ignored it or chose to not answer. I THOUGHT myself better than pairing without all the answers, but have currently found MYSELF askin alot of questions from other members with experience. Its not that im too lazy to research, its just that were all here to learn from others... SOMETIMES that CANT be done by merely reading old posts. If youre not willing to SHARE your knowledge with people then what is its use? Come off the high horse man seriously. Not all cases of irresponsibility should be shamed. The op likely is just asking because he/she is nervous and wants everything to go smoothly because he/she truly CARES for the safety of the mom and potential offspring.:wink:
You are a man of wisdom my friend, thank you!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im NOT siding .. i just cant believe somebody with a vast wealth of knowledge can refuse to answer a noob's (around HERE at least) question. He IS right to a degree, however he could have used a lil more tact. We all have our days.. Advan is usually a great guy (or so it seems from posts) and is quick to help

19tarantula91

Arachnosquire
It has nothing to do with laziness and I am sorry to advan for coming across that way. Truly all I wanted was a few questions answered after I searched the boards and found myself unsatisfied. I am POSITIVE that I paired two poecilotheria pederseni. Just because this is the first breeding experience I have had doesn't make me an amateur to the hobby. I have plenty of other experience, but yet I still had some questions. This should not come across as laziness but rather initiative to ensure the best care for the T and her sack. I could have just said screw it I'll figure it out on my own and end up hurting the sack. If that is what you want in the future then please by all means continue to come off like an arrogant prick that makes this board unhelpful. Which was the idea when making the section about tarantulas and QUESTIONS. If you don't wanna help out or answer questions without the added and un-needed arrogance then just don't comment buddy.

Thanks.

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
It has nothing to do with laziness and I am sorry to advan for coming across that way. Truly all I wanted was a few questions answered after I searched the boards and found myself unsatisfied. I am POSITIVE that I paired two poecilotheria pederseni. Just because this is the first breeding experience I have had doesn't make me an amateur to the hobby. I have plenty of other experience, but yet I still had some questions. This should not come across as laziness but rather initiative to ensure the best care for the T and her sack. I could have just said screw it I'll figure it out on my own and end up hurting the sack. If that is what you want in the future then please by all means continue to come off like an arrogant prick that makes this board unhelpful. Which was the idea when making the section about tarantulas and QUESTIONS. If you don't wanna help out or answer questions without the added and un-needed arrogance then just don't comment buddy.

Thanks.
I know it sucks having to filter through all the poop comments to find the golden nugget of knowledge your after, just don't let this run in sour your future questions. There are plenty of us out there who are more than happy to help. I have had my run in with chad and it was less than desirable but am still here helping. Just add him to ignore in your settings and move on.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To the OP: These points are not extended towards you, and I don't mean to point fingers in your direction (or anyone in particular either). Merely speaking in generalities about comments Prometheus has made in particular. Please, do not take it personally, it's not meant to be personal towards you.

Spiders have been doing this for millions of years with and without our intervention. I am sure everything will be ok.
What? This is one of my favorite cliche phrases that makes absolutely no sense. So tarantulas were being kept in captivity for millions of years? So if I just leave a tarantula alone for months it'll be fine. I mean, that's what I think you're saying when you mention they'll be fine without "our intervention".

"Why research when you can just ask and have someone else do it for you? Right guys?" Hmm... must be nice to be the first person to ever research the breeding habits/conditions needed for proper husbandry of Tarantulas at it's inception as a science/hobby... ;) Most everything you, I, or anybody has learned about spiders has come from someone else and their research. Via a book/article/friend/T.V/Grandma/Grandpa/Mom or Dad.
Oh my goodness, you COMPLETELY missed my point. Research includes reading what has already been published (formally or informally).

Some people prefer to ask the question to other human beings rather than read it/watch it, it's faster.
So the fastest way is always the best way? I'd argue with that. Enough of the "faster" way and nobody is going to be around the answer.

Just be glad that he/she is asking the right questions and be glad that you have to answers to help. Really why are you online in the "Questions" and "Discussion" section if you do not want to answer the "questions" by discussing it? Just stick to the picture threads and the search engine looking for articles your lives will be much better and less stressful believe me. Let those who wish to help, help and those who want to be helped receive it without condescension. Hope this enlightens your view and anyone one else who shares it, if not, god help us cause with no one giving out new information (or old) the hobby/science of Spiders will fade....
Here's your homework for the evening, go peruse the Tarantula Pictures forum and take note of the people that post there. How many users active in the tarantula pictures forum have years and decades in the hobby, yet NEVER post in the Q&D forum. Many of these users have SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE that every active Q&D poster combined couldn't even account for a single percent of what they know. Now, ask yourself, why don't they ever share this knowledge? Why do they confine themselves to the Tarantula Pictures forum? Could it be because 95% of threads ask the same 10 questions over and over again? Is it because this forum is so overwhelmed with misinformation that it's depressing to wade through? It's the blind leading the blind here.

You're right, without people sharing information, the hobby will fade. But we blame different things for this apparent problem. I can only think of a handful of users that post regularly and were posting regularly even 6 months ago. Why might that be the case? Do you think you'll still be posting regularly 6 months or a year from now? Think your opinion might change if you are?

I peruse the Tarantula Questions and Discussions forum for 3 reasons (in order of scarcity in actual practice):
1) The increasingly rare interesting and thoughtful discussion
2) To answer those difficult questions for which simple research may not suffice. I am the first to admit that some questions are specific to a particularly situation and can't be answered by a simple search.
3) Attempt to stop misinformation

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Hi Steven, I am sorry I didn't put sugar coating on my post. I know you have been researching breeding at least for a few months while waiting for your male mature. Now, could you of answered the OP's questions from what you have learned? What my main concern is not really the questions he is asking but if he can't research these easy questions, did he take time to ID the male and female spiders he put together to make sure they were indeed the same species? Many can't tell the difference between some Poecilotheria. I hate to say the big "H" but I have received a mature male before that was not the correct species. It does happen, hence my concern. I am very sorry I voiced my concerns about irresponsible breeding and it's possible effects on our hobby. I guess I'll get off the high honey badger now and go back to the picture forum. ;)