What happened to my sling?

Bryce Atwood

Arachnopeon
Hey so i checked on my Cobalt Blue sling today ( i usually don't refer to its scientific name because its changed so often) and found it completely dead inside its water dish. I know it couldn't have drowned because...well duh they can swim. So my next thought was maybe she climbed her enclosure and stuck her fangs in the grate things on the lid (kritter keeper) and they got ripped and she fell.So i checked and no, she still had her fangs. She was completely untouched and i kept the enclosure well misted with good humidity. I am a relatively new keeper (only 1.5-2.5 years) so i am stumped. I thought parasite but couldn't find an exit spot for it to leave. Was this impaction? I honestly don't know. Can someone help me out. If you want pictures i can send them.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Post pics of enclosure. Also... when you say humid, just how humid are we talking? I know they need damp substrate, but getting it too stuffy could be an issue.

Bryce Atwood

Arachnopeon
I have to mist pretty often because of the ventilation of the kritter keeper and the substrate is already dry so i will mist like i usually would and attach photo, i like to take a syringe and fill it with water.then dampen the substrate as well. But yeah i try to avoid making it too stuffy

Attachments

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
It's really not that difficult to adapt to scientific names, this spider has been C. lividum for awhile. I had to google cobalt blue because I had no idea what you were talking about. Anyway I'm not great at species that actually require moisture but it looks too wet to me imo. Slings are usually pretty sensitive to even the smaller husbandry slip ups.

Bryce Atwood

Arachnopeon
Thank you, i will take this into consideration. Also i always called it Haplopelma lividum, or cyropagopus (cant spell) lividum

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There is absolutely zero need to mist terrestrial or burrowing species. For future reference, especially with moisture needing species such as these, add water directly to the substrate and keep it moist. Depending on the season you should only need to do this occasionally when you notice it drying out a bit from the top. Misting will not get the bottom layer of substrate moist. If the bottom was dry, the T likely dehydrated, which can even happen when a water bowl is present with burrowers such as these. With the ventilation of a critter keeper, there is no reason to worry about the substrate being too moist, unless of course it is a pond.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
It's really not that difficult to adapt to scientific names, this spider has been C. lividum for awhile. I had to google cobalt blue because I had no idea what you were talking about.
I'm the opposite...I had to use google to find out what a C. lividum is...This occurs frequently especially when it's a species I don't personally own.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Your Orphnaecus philippinus died the same way and you've even said the same thing about fangs being caught and whatnot. At that time, people gave you more than enough information about keeping moisture dependent species appropriately and you obviously ignored every bit of that information and now another spider has died.
You do not have the ability to care for these species and you refuse to take the advice given to you. How many more are going to have to die before you either opt to have hardier species, or you start doing what people tell you that you need to do to prevent them from dying?

Last edited: