What gender is my scorpion and is it H. Cyaneus?

Junichi

Arachnopeon
Hey I recently got into the hobby and bought a Heteremetrus Cyaneus but I dont know the gender and also dont know how old it is. I feed it crickets once a week and have liquid balls which he eats/licks for water.

Im thinking of getting 2 more scorpions but from the picture they almost look the same as my Cyaneus but theyre not? Can someone help me identify gender/breed.

Also can all heteremetrus live in the same terrarium? Im planning on keeping 3 in one, one female, one male and one unknown.

Here are the pics:
The high quality one is my scorpion and the others are the ones I want to get, they look like H. Petersii any IMG_5507-6.JPG ideas?

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hey I recently got into the hobby and bought a Heteremetrus Cyaneus but I dont know the gender and also dont know how old it is. I feed it crickets once a week and have liquid balls which he eats/licks for water.

Im thinking of getting 2 more scorpions but from the picture they almost look the same as my Cyaneus but theyre not? Can someone help me identify gender/breed.

Also can all heteremetrus live in the same terrarium? Im planning on keeping 3 in one, one female, one male and one unknown.

Here are the pics:
The high quality one is my scorpion and the others are the ones I want to get, they look like H. Petersii any View attachment 276950 ideas?
Post clear images of the underside of the Scorpion so we can properly sex it for you. We can also show you how to sex it so that in the future you'll know what to look for.

I prefer not to mix the different species. Cannibalism and other complications are more likely if you mix species than amongst their own species. Even keeping several of the same species together you want to make sure they have enough hides, burrowing area, and food to minimize those chances of complications.

Ran

Arachnoknight
As Terrena said H. petersii, sex unknown till you post a clear proof it’s operculum. H. cyaneus have granulation like the pic on the far left.

Terrena Laxamentum

Arachnoknight
Just curious how you sexed that scorpion so definitively on that picture. Ive seen people sex H. Petersii based on a pronounced tooth on the chelae. Is this accurate?
It appears to be so, I personally never seen a female with a pronounced tooth. Nothing is more definite than the pectines though.

Junichi

Arachnopeon
Got a pic of its underbody, is this a male or a female? Also is it petersii? How can you see the difference between a cyaneus and petersii

Attachments

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
Heterometrus petersii:
8-10cm long
Body is matt black, granulated
Like a laoticus, but with granulation.
Telson is brown/black, though it is white in the first two instars (generally)
Male is supposed to have a more "pronounced tooth" on the movable finger

H.cyaneus
they are unique as far as Heterometrus go INTENSLY granulated all over the body
shines blue (hence the name) under bright light. Stocky scorpion, quite short, yet wide. Large nook at front of prosoma. (large prosoma).

Yours a definitely a male.
To identify the sex. Looking at the combs on the Pectines is what we are doing. A male will generally have more but the real thing to look for is the length of those combs. It's hard for an inexperienced person to tell the difference without having something to compare it to but the females comb length will be close to half the length of what you see in that picture you posted.

Junichi

Arachnopeon
But.. do petersii shine blue in sunlight too? Cause mine is like that, the HD picture I posted at the start, dont you mean shining blue like that?

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
Yes sort of like that picture you posted but the lack of granulation is a big tell tale it' not a Cyaneus.

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
A quick search of a Cyaneus on Google will show the clear granulation on the body and the one in your pic is smooth as glass.

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
When it comes to Heterometrus Spp. It comes with experience and visual ques and it's more of a process of elimination.

Buthoscorpio

Arachnopeon
It's hard for an inexperienced person to tell the difference without having something to compare it to but the females comb length will be close to half the length of what you see in that picture you posted.
Another option is to have a look for the genital operculum.

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
Genital operculum is another great way of sexing Heterometrus petersii. The males will be oval shaped while the females is more 'heart' shaped.