What do YOU use for a enclosure?

Barbedwirecat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, Just wanted to know what everyone else uses to contain their T's. Kritter Keepers are great, but I feel like there must be something better and more proffesional looking to house multiple species side by side. Some sort of divided glass/plastic container. I guess I just feel like a 5 year old with her colorful topped krtter keeprs running around. I have a few 10 gallons, but I reall want something I can display all of my animals with. something that seperates the T's indefinitly, And doesn't have a bright pink top......

I LOVE making cages out of plexiglass, but I'd reather buy a pre-made deal due to time constraints, as well as monetary constraints.

Cheers!

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Why don't you check the enclosure pics thread that's currently on top of the list in the pic forum again. Tons of tanks, tons of ideas ;)

stargell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
4.0" G. rosea - standard 5 gal glass terrarium

3.5" C. cyaneopubescens - " "

2.75 " C. fasciatum - 2.5 gal glass terrarium

3.25" A. avic - 12X12X12 exoterra

1.5" G. aureostriatum - plastic display cube (from arts/crafts shop)

1.25" A. geniculata - " "

1.25" B. smithi - " "

Once you get past vial size for slings, I'm a big fan of the display cubes. I just think they look much nicer than the kritter keepers. I also enjoy drilling the holes...I think it's more the ritual of setting it up than the fact that I enjoy using power tools!

And for adults...I know my preference for glass is costly and that it takes up too much space. But again...I'm big on aesthetics. :)

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Exo-terras are really nice, but too expensive for me-- I do have one. I hate KK's--don't like how they look. Most of my T's are in 2.5 gal. aquariums.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a preference to glass aquariums (5 or 10 gal.) for adults, as I prefer display tanks which are visually appealing. It's a personal preference, many may disagree to the size though. I have them set up on pine shelving units (Ikea - Ivar) very versitile, which can be added to and changed as a collection grows or as one moves. ESU reptile welded screen lids, and plexi-glass cut at various sizes to fit within the top trim piece of the aquarium to meet humidity needs.

Small KK for slings to big for vials.

local hero

Arachnopeon
most hobby or craft stores carry little plastic enclosures, from tiny up to 4x4x8 that are crystal clear reasonably priced and have fairly secure lids. ive used several of these for slings and set up tiny naturalistic vivariums

Ungweliante

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also use Exo-Terra enclosures. 45x45x45 cm each. I think they're great since you can open them from either the front or from the top and fit a lot of substrate in them for those terrestial species.

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I really like the exo-terras. They are expensive, and I do not house all of my Ts in them, but I do have a few because I think they do look attractive. But you can always make a small aquarium just as attractive and professional looking! It just takes a little creativity. Kritter Keepers are always good for juvies and such, though, so don't rule them out completely. I still have a few of those. 2.5 gallon aquariums work well, as do 5 gallon. And they are not too expensive. Small plexi-glass doll cases can be modified easily, and they are inexpensive also. I have a little of everything I mentioned above, and they all work well for the Ts that live in them. Just go with what you like( and your budget likes!)...Mike, Some of those set-ups may wind up duplicated in my house:}

Best of luck,
Deni

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most of my T's are lings so theyre in make shift untill they are older. i do love exoterra tanks i have 2 ATM but im really looking at buying glass straight from the glass shop down the road and using clear aquarium sealant stick em together. as much as i love the exoterras i am jobless and my parents wont be too happy when i need 3 medium ones at once.

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
bonesmama said:
Exo-terras are really nice, but too expensive for me-- I do have one. I hate KK's--don't like how they look. Most of my T's are in 2.5 gal. aquariums.
I mostly use KK's because they're lighter than glass and I unfortunately don't have a lot of space for my Ts. I don't like how they're tinted though. My rose hairs look so much more colorful when I take the lids off their cages to feed them.

Desiderius, the biggest of my 3, will be changed into an aquarium when I get back home. I want her to have more space and more substrate, so I'm going to move all of my books off of the book shelf for her.

The slings I have are in an old coffee jar (A. avic), an old see through margarine container (B. smithi) and a pill vial (H. lividum).

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I make my own out of acrylic sheets.My sister works a glass company and she brings home all the scrap pieces,some are even 18" long by 10" wide!

Scarp172

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've got a split 10 gallon for my 4" G. Rosea and 2.5" L. Dificilus sling.
Sling go through this progression of containers-
Vial, Disposable condiment cups with lids (not the cheap cheap ones, but the name brand ones), then either a mason jar for terrestrials/burrowers or a sterilite container for arboreals or heavy webbers (P. Murinus, GBB), Kritter Keeper or terrarium depending on size and species. My L. Para and L. Dificilus will eventually need their own 10 gallon terrariums, but that's a while off yet. This seems to work well and is cheap too. As far as heat (it's cold here!) the slings reside around my scorpion enclosure lights. Works well.
-Steve

Natco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mostly KKs. Dont care how they look, they are light and cheep. I should admit though that the ones I get around here have balck tops, not pink ones.

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Vials, Display cubes and KK's...no pink tops. :D

When some of my T's get larger they may get real enclosures...for now they are fine.

~Fred

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use Tupperware and Stearlite storage containers, like the kinds made to store sweaters, etc. in. Dollar General sells an upright version with a lid that provides good ventilation, which makes a great Avic enclosure. I keep smaller T's in large round plastic containers that I get snakes in at reptile shows, and really small ones in deli cups.

pitbulllady

Satanicat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just use my 10 gallon (might be 20??). Not too sure which one, but I paid about 60-70$ canadian for it and it is quite large for just one Tarantula, haha.