What do you think is the best beginner snake and why?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Oh, and hell no to a Garter Snake! I've been musked too many times by wild ones, and it is probably one of the worst smells ever. And it doesn't come off too easily either!

Tecnition4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I assume it would depend entirely on where you live and what ambient temps you keep in your house as to whether or not you could keep corns without heat. If you keep your house really cool, wouldn't you need to give them a heat source? And what about captive bred babies that have always been kept in the 80's or higher? Wouldn't that be bad for them to go from having heat at the breeders to having no heat in your home?

I think I'm leaning towards either a Kenyan Sand Boa (if I can find one) or a Ball Python. I like the docile, calm nature of these guys. I am somewhat put off by the busy nature of corns/milks/kings. They are always on the go, I like the idea of a snake that will just stay put when you hold it.

Keeping spiders, I am not too concerned about balls refusing food, I've had spiders fast for two years!

Thanks for all the replies, it's interesting to see how different they all were.
If it is just going to be in like your liveing room i would provide a heat sourc if i were you. I do not provide a heat source for my Corn or kingsnakes but they are also in my reptile room, which ambient temp is in the 80s so its warm enough. But if you go with a KSB use aspen, not sand.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Thank you, yes I plan on using Aspen Chip. I've been researching snakes for years actually.:) I've just never been allowed to have one before.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Can anyone provide a list of good beginner snakes that don't need a heat source and can be kept at a normal warm room temperature?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm curious to hear opinions on what snakes people think are the best beginner snakes and why they think that. Also what snake is the worst beginner snake and why. :)
Ball pythons - dont bite, dont need much room because they arent "movers" get to a nice thick size but not big enough to need two people for.

Corn snakes - very calm, slender, one person snake, many morphs, inexpensive, easy to find, eat anything, great snakes

Jungle carpet pythons - these are great beginners because a heat source isnt really needed, they get to a good size that one person can handle alone even when they become adults and they are beautiful snakes. also they arent that expensive with brought fronm a breeder

down side - they nip until they become used to you, its been said they have an aversion to rats (but switching them over isnt too difficult)

None of these snakes need a heat source

Last edited:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Um, you're saying ball pythons don't need a heat source? That pretty much goes against everything I've read about them.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Um, you're saying ball pythons don't need a heat source? That pretty much goes against everything I've read about them.
well, i can take a picture of the one i have in a tank.

Also you can keep them in tupperwear bins (one that fits their size) and this keeps in heat/humidity better than the tank I have

But my house never goes below 70.

and my snake doesnt have an UTH or a hot spot.

Tecnition4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ball Pythons do need a heat source, they can be kept without one but if it gets to cold they could get a Respatory Infection. Its way better to provide a heat source for bolth snakes

Tecnition4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can anyone provide a list of good beginner snakes that don't need a heat source and can be kept at a normal warm room temperature?
Most snakes need a heat source, you would be best off to get a corn snake if you really can't provide a heat source

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My only problem with garters is that they wont be able to eat mice til they are pretty big. They need fish which can be harder to obtain for a beginner keeper. I know most pet stores sell feeder goldfish but those can carry parasites so its best to feed guppies, which arent as readily available as pinky mice.
Nope, they are easy to care for when little. They eat worms. And worms are easy to get. Every fishing bait store has them. I fed mine worms all the time and also plumped the babies up on worms before I released them. I am surprised you didn't know they ate worms. They also eat frogs and toads. With that said, I have to disagree with you. Garters make great beginner snakes.

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, and hell no to a Garter Snake! I've been musked too many times by wild ones, and it is probably one of the worst smells ever. And it doesn't come off too easily either!
Lol so you say no to a Garter because it craps? Well then you might just want to leave the snakes alone all together. Hate to break it to you, but any and all snakes can and will crap on you if scared. Once you own it and get it use to being handle, it doesn't crap on you anymore. And I also don't find it all that hard to remove the smell. Simple wash your hands with some good soap and problem solved.

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lol so you say no to a Garter because it craps? Well then you might just want to leave the snakes alone all together. Hate to break it to you, but any and all snakes can and will crap on you if scared. Once you own it and get it use to being handle, it doesn't crap on you anymore. And I also don't find it all that hard to remove the smell. Simple wash your hands with some good soap and problem solved.
Musk and poop are two very different things, though I've found they generally do poop while musking (at least in my experience) but they don't musk every time they poop.

Certain snakes (I've personally had it happen with king snakes, and corn/rat hybrids) release a very stinky, musky fluid when they get scared. I had a king that was terrible about it. I'd so much as open his enclosure and he'd musk. Handling was kept at a minimum to avoid it. The musk does not wash off easily- a simple soap and water doesn't get it all the way off- the smell will linger.

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Musk and poop are two very different things, though I've found they generally do poop while musking (at least in my experience) but they don't musk every time they poop.

Certain snakes (I've personally had it happen with king snakes, and corn/rat hybrids) release a very stinky, musky fluid when they get scared. I had a king that was terrible about it. I'd so much as open his enclosure and he'd musk. Handling was kept at a minimum to avoid it. The musk does not wash off easily- a simple soap and water doesn't get it all the way off- the smell will linger.
Ok let me put it this way so you aren't confused about my experience with further post. I have 24+ years experience with snakes. And that includes hunting and catching them. The musk is easy to wash off. I have never had a problem removing it. You might want to look into a different soap if you are having issues removing it. As far as King snakes, corn snakes, ect. We aren't talking about them right now. I am talking about garter snakes. Funny thing is, you bring up king snakes and corn snakes, yet those are what's being recommended to him. Now that I find funny. Not that I am saying King snakes and corn snakes are bad first snakes because they aren't. I just find it funny that you would use them for your example. While I won't try to talk you into holding your snakes (makes no difference to me). The more you hold them, the more they get use to it and the less likely they are to musk you.

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I get musked by garters every year. I carry hand sanitizer in my backpack. I use the stuff and sometimes I still can smell the musk. What a horrid smell.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Ok let me put it this way so you aren't confused about my experience with further post. I have 24+ years experience with snakes. And that includes hunting and catching them. The musk is easy to wash off. I have never had a problem removing it. You might want to look into a different soap if you are having issues removing it. As far as King snakes, corn snakes, ect. We aren't talking about them right now. I am talking about garter snakes. Funny thing is, you bring up king snakes and corn snakes, yet those are what's being recommended to him. Now that I find funny. Not that I am saying King snakes and corn snakes are bad first snakes because they aren't. I just find it funny that you would use them for your example. While I won't try to talk you into holding your snakes (makes no difference to me). The more you hold them, the more they get use to it and the less likely they are to musk you.
I'm a she. I'm more interested in Ball Pythons and Sand Boas, neither of which are as prone to musking as colubrids. Yes I would hold it often. I don't like Garters. If I wanted one, I could go catch one.

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm a she. I'm more interested in Ball Pythons and Sand Boas, neither of which are as prone to musking as colubrids. Yes I would hold it often. I don't like Garters. If I wanted one, I could go catch one.
Shouldn't shrug Garters off so fast. You can't catch these.
http://pics.hoobly.com/full/BZZ2K3PRBAYD3WSKDR.jpg
or this.
http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/ArchOLD-6/1138681765.jpg

Again, not trying to talk anybody into getting a Garter, just saying they are a good starter snake and shouldn't be shrugged off just because you can catch one. I wouldn't keep one either if I was simply thinking of the kind I can catch around here. But some of them (like the two in the pics) are very pretty.

Also, why did you feel the need to tell me you are a girl?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
That second one is gorgeous, but it just isn't what I'm into. They are too fast moving for me. I want something slower for my first snake.:)

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That second one is gorgeous, but it just isn't what I'm into. They are too fast moving for me. I want something slower for my first snake.:)
That second one is a San Francisco Garter snake. The first is a Florida Blue Garter snake. I would stay away from King snakes and Rat snakes as well if you think a Garter snake is fast. They move just as fast as a Garter snake.