What do you guys use for enclosure lids?

Xanzo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've got a 5 gal aquarium that I'm getting ready for my first Tarantula. I want to know what I ought to use as a lid.

I have some quarter inch metal mesh that I could use, but I am wondering if there are better alternatives out there, that are latchable and simple

Also, does anyone here use a radiating heat source a few feet away from teh enclosure? I am considering something of this nature to ensure proper heat, as my house temperature stays around 60 degrees F

Thanks for your replies, and patience with my newbie questions :)

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Buy a lid from a pet store! I use kritter keepers so i dont have to deal with lids.

Yog-Sothoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dont use mesh or youll have probs with them getting theyr feet stuck, well unless theyre terrestrial. You could cut a peice of plastic and drill holes in it..or buy one from the pet store :D

As for heat 60F is definatly too low. Best way to heat is to use your houses heat or grab a space heater. You can use light bulbs if they are the red wavelength but they dry everything out pretty fast, or a heating pad outsid the enclosure but that is just a pain in the ass trying to keep the temp right.

My friend does use a heating pad though, he has his spiders in a large glass curio and he has the heating pad on the lowest level. Seems to work out well that way, only have to have 1 thermometer, and the temp stays stable due to its large size.

Last edited:

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
If you want to accomodate your aquarium, try to find perforated aluminium sheets. And then I'd suggest you to make a plexi-glass maintenance+viewing door/window at the front.

Randomosity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
concrete walls topped with electrified razor-wire and a feeding-crane apparatus to lower the cricket into the cage. ;P