what can damage or stress a tarantula

ditto11223

Arachnopeon
hi guys, im sorta new to tarantula keeping and i was wondering if a fall (even just a minor one) can hurt a tarantula because my tarantula fell a few times, but not from a great height , and also if handling or falling can cause stress because im sorta worried :/

Twillis10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Falling can definitely do some damage to your T. It just depends how high the fall was and what it fell onto. As far as handling Im sure it varies from T to T. I rarely hold any of my T's (most wouldnt let me anyways), I just like to watch them. I would not handle a T everyday, but I cannot say how often is ok. I can say if the T acts like it doesnt want to be handled, then dont. That could cause a ton of stress. I think the number one cause of stress would be not being housed and/or cared for properly.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
also depends what type/size tarantula it is. A large, terrestrial tarantula is more likely to be injured than a sling or an arboreal tarantula

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Not to sound rude, but I would stop handling if it already fell a few times. One small drop may or may not hurt it. But repeatedly being dropped from a small distance will definitely eventually hurt it and stress it.

What kind of T do you have?

Kungfujoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On top of what everyone already said; it can also depend on how well fed the T is and or if he/she is in premolt.

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also messing with it alot like changeing the enclosure alot and again over handling and falls are deffinatly not good for it at all. Stress and physical harm can be the result of this and even death eventually.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
just about everything can potentially stress a t. the only way they are truely happy is to be left COMPLETELY alone, and occasional food items walking past. even OPENING a lid/door to feed it stresses them. lighting, temps, noise, smoke/odors/fragrances, a change in feeders, etc... kinda pick and irritable lil guys, come to think about it

ditto11223

Arachnopeon
Not to sound rude, but I would stop handling if it already fell a few times. One small drop may or may not hurt it. But repeatedly being dropped from a small distance will definitely eventually hurt it and stress it.

What kind of T do you have?
I have a brachypelma.B :) its still a sling :)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I have a brachypelma.B :) its still a sling :)
won't be a sing for long if you keep dropping it.

seriously though, let it be a tarantula and do tarantula things, like eat and not move for long periods of time.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I think I found my sig. Do you mind?
if you really want to, go right ahead.

It was suppossed to say " like NOT eat and not move for long periods of time." But due using my mobile browser I accidentally left out the first "NOT", lol.

Last edited:

fartbreath

Arachnopeon
My biggest mistake as a newbie - or rather as a newbie that's always seeking for new T's - is opening an OBT's enclosure for too long. It jumped out, played hide and seek with me for more than 2 hours and went back to its home like nothing happened. LIKE A BOSS!

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
just about everything can potentially stress a t. the only way they are truely happy is to be left COMPLETELY alone, and occasional food items walking past. even OPENING a lid/door to feed it stresses them. lighting, temps, noise, smoke/odors/fragrances, a change in feeders, etc... kinda pick and irritable lil guys, come to think about it
+1.

I wouldnt be too anal about the stress thing, if I were you. However you should know that handling a T can cause stress, so Id suggest keeping that to a bare minimum if your so inclined as to handle them :)

jakykong

Arachnobaron
if you really want to, go right ahead.

It was suppossed to say " like NOT eat and not move for long periods of time." But due using my mobile browser I accidentally left out the first "NOT", lol.
I found the phrasing quite amusing, personally. :) Thanks.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Substrate too moist/damp, too high/low humidity, to big/small of an enclosure.... for my B. vagans and G. rosea i have them both housed in 9L Shoe boxes i bought from Canadian Tire for $1.40!
then my C. huahini have housed in a slightly larger container. get the TKG if you haven't acquired it already lol. Just make sure you have an enclosure 2 - 3 times the Ts leg span in Length and Width.. height should be no longer than the leg span!

Don't mind too much about the temp.. if your comfortable, it will suit the T fine!

and if you decide to handle your T, get as close to the ground as possible! they can get injured and even die quite easily from a fall