What am I

gdansey

Arachnopeon
I found another in my kitchen. It was actually in the valve of my Britta water dispenser and flushed into my cup when I filled up. It is around an inch long, and was pretty quick. Thanks in advance.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like a yellow sac spider (Cheiracanthium inclusum) to me. Got a bunch of these buggers in my place. :mad:

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
yup that is what it is, oddly enough the bites of this spider is commonly mistaken for a recluse bite here in Michigan [even though the loxoceles is not native here]. the bites can be somewhat necrotic and people have had fevers from this very spiders bite.
We have them in my house also, with a higher number in the fall and a few stragglers in winter.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cheiracanthum agree

looks like it might be a (pre?)penultimate male

they look much more evil when males mature

i like these guys

gdansey

Arachnopeon
Well I guess I should stop playing with spiders I find in the house. It was pretty fast and actually put up what looked like a threat display when I poked at it. Thanks all for the ID.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
naw

i personally think most bites from these guys aren't going to do anything. people LOVE to blame spiders. unless you see the pracking fangs go into your skin... you don't actually know that a spider bit you... yet what gets put on the dr's report? spider bite. nice.

when i catch our local species i can't get them to bite me. i tried. if i manage to get a couple few i will be rougher and get one to bite me :)

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A lot gets blamed on mysterious spider bites, yes, but this one is not exaggerated. C. inclusum deserve every bit of their rising reputation. I have several detailed and confirmed first-hand reports to back up their cytotoxicity. Symptoms for a strong bite can include mild fever, severe pain, inflammation, bruising, lingering tenderness, blistering with potential to ulcurate, nausea, and inability to use the affected area. They also lack any reluctance in biting. If restrained in any way, or irritated, they will and DO bite. I have seen them described ( by arachnologist Rick Vetter, I believe ) as the most defensive of the medically significant American spiders, and I have witnessed their temperament myself ( I've kept about 12 of these, as my area is infested with them. ) They're not a recluse, but they aren't funny either.

But yeah, they are cool. :D

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
We have a few still in the house and they can bite , but the odd thing they do is shed legs when restrained which I suppose is a lot better than being bitten.
I have a small scar on my arm from rolling on one in my bed [I found the spider after being bit] This was some years ago . Felt crappy for a day and had a pustule bigger than a fire ant bite but very similiar. Like Venom said these spiders are no joke and complications can happen from a bite.
Do this catch one , put it in a jar, [make sure the lid is tight as they can climb glass] put another spider in there and watch how fast the house spider or any other spider expires after being bitten, it is almost instantaneous

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think you folks have a dif species than me

inclusum vs mildei

i have caught mine probably half a dozen times and play with them whenever i get the chance. can't get them to bite me.