What’s this in my curly hair’s enclosure

Azileo

Arachnopeon
He closed of his hide quite a long time ago, this morning I woke and the t’s entrie hide was webbed and it was on his back so I presume he was moulting I check back on the t about 6 hours later too see he’s took the web down but now there’s a cotton looking ball with the t and there was also no molt.. so I’m confused why the t was on his back and now he’s back on his legs with no molt in the enclosure and why there is a cotton looking ball in there lol.

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
She (!) made an egg sac. :D

Do you know if she was paired at some point after her last moult? Was she wild caught?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm sorry, but it amuses me to no end when people get surprise egg sacs and have NO IDEA what they are :rofl: cotton ball, golf ball, table tennis ball... all items used to describe a sac lol.

The answers to Thekla's questions are needed so we know what next steps, if any, you need to take.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's an egg sac, if she was wild caught and hasn't moulted yet or was captive bred but was paired and hasn't moulted since then there's a chance it is viable.

If it was wild caught and has moulted recently or was captive bred but has never been paired (or was paired but she's moulted since) then it's likely a phantom (dud) sac and she'll either eat it or dump it.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have seen alot of these posts lately, with all Wild Caught Tarantulas laying egg sacs, this has to have some effect on the population in the wild with all the slings that are now not in the wild to future populate generations down the road. The more I see the more I am against wild caught specimen.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes of course! I am strongly against wild caught! It is not good taking adult females from nature! I always buy cb slings nowdays

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have seen alot of these posts lately, with all Wild Caught Tarantulas laying egg sacs, this has to have some effect on the population in the wild with all the slings that are now not in the wild to future populate generations down the road. The more I see the more I am against wild caught specimen.
Most of us here agree about not taking from the wild. I will gladly pay more for confirmed captive bred specimens.

Azileo

Arachnopeon
She (!) made an egg sac. :D

Do you know if she was paired at some point after her last moult? Was she wild caught?
The t was bought from the tss so I don’t think so... should I remove it and open too check?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No! Wait one month if she has just laid it! After a month you can carefully make a slit and check! But if you have no experience with incubations i think you should let it hatched with the female. Just leave her in peace! Is she wildcaught, tere are a chznce she have mated in nature. If she has not or if she has moulted in shopkeepers care it is a dudd! But if you dont know, treat it as it is valid!

Azileo

Arachnopeon
No! Wait one month if she has just laid it! After a month you can carefully make a slit and check! But if you have no experience with incubations i think you should let it hatched with the female. Just leave her in peace! Is she wildcaught, tere are a chznce she have mated in nature. If she has not or if she has moulted in shopkeepers care it is a dudd! But if you dont know, treat it as it is valid!
Hi I just removed it before I read this.. and yes it does have eggs inside

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They look good! When did she kayed the sac? I always waited a month before i took any sac. The female turns the sac constantly, and best thing is to let the female incubate ut the first weeks. Some people takes the eggs early and i guess you will get answer from people that does so! If i where you i would put them in some kind of incubator. But my experuence with incubators are slim, cos as said, i let the females care for them!

It is slways eggs inside, but more or less good ones! Yours looks good though!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Not sure if this will work but in the chicken hobby, they have egg turners that fit in the incubator, wonder if this could work for egg sacs that need turning. You can set someone them to turn every-so-often.

Azileo

Arachnopeon
Not sure if this will work but in the chicken hobby, they have egg turners that fit in the incubator, wonder if this could work for egg sacs that need turning. You can set someone them to turn every-so-often.
I just took them out and placed them on some most kitchen towel.. I never expected her to lay a egg sack since I never bread her.. kinda worried now not sure what to do hopefully someone takes them off my hands

Azileo

Arachnopeon
If anybody wants them they can have them free of charge lol

Quite a few of their adults are WC imports so it could've mated before it was collected.

The only difference between a viable sac and a phantom sac is that the eggs in the former will be fertilised
Do my eggs look fertilised? I don’t really want a few hundred curly hairs

Thekla

Arachnoprince
To be perfectly honest... I don't get it. You ask whether you should remove the sac or not and then do it anyway 10 min later without waiting for an answer. :confused:

I can understand you don't want hundreds of slings, but do you want them to live or not? By pulling the sac this early, I'm not sure if they have a chance to survive. They need to be rotated a few times a day (like her mother would've done). You would've had a month to decide what to do with them before they even hatched. Now, it'll be way more complicated. All assuming the sac is viable and you want them to live.

I don't have any experience with caring and hatching egg sacs, but please post some pictures how you keep them at the moment, so that other, more experienced keepers can help you keeping them alive for the time being.

Azileo

Arachnopeon
To be perfectly honest... I don't get it. You ask whether you should remove the sac or not and then do it anyway 10 min later without waiting for an answer. :confused:

I can understand you don't want hundreds of slings, but do you want them to live or not? By pulling the sac this early, I'm not sure if they have a chance to survive. They need to be rotated a few times a day (like her mother would've done). You would've had a month to decide what to do with them before they even hatched. Now, it'll be way more complicated. All assuming the sac is viable and you want them to live.

I don't have any experience with caring and hatching egg sacs, but please post some pictures how you keep them at the moment, so that other, more experienced keepers can help you keeping them alive for the time being.
Yes I know it was a stupid mistake... I am in contacted with tss and they telling me what to do, I have them on a moist piece off kitchen towel atm and I will be rotating them with a small brush twice a day and keeping the enclosure humid and moist so they don’t dry out. I’m honestly just hoping someone will take them off my hands in the next few days if not I’ll have no choice but to get rid off them witch is honestly getting me a little choked up since I don’t think they deserve death... :(

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Thekla. Female do know best how to care for them! I cant give you any advise what to do! Best thing if taken from female si to close up the sac and rotate it by hand every 2 hours or so?