Western Hognose won't eat pinkies? 10 gal vs snake rack

Munch

Arachnosquire
Just make sure the shelf,table,floor,etc... that the cage is on top of can NOT catch on fire.

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sterlite tubs found at Walmart, Target, etc,... Pick up the shoebox size one for him, along with a small hide that he will feel secure in. Don't take him out to feed, don't tong feed, and absolutely don't scent the pinkies. Since he has been eating unscented f/t for around 8 months now scenting would just be taking a step backwards. He is likely stressed from a combo of the move and being in a much larger enclusure with fully transparent sides. I'd switch him over to the shoebox size sterlite tub (should cost about $2), let him settle for about a week, then just leave a thawed pinkie outside his hidebox overnight. Trying to feed him every couple days is probably stressing him out also, especially if he's being removed from his enclosure or being tease fed with tongs.

They do have high metabolisms, but as was stated earlier can go for months without food. Even neonates, which are tiny things with little fat reserves, can go for 5+ months without eating.

Tarantuloid

Arachnoknight
I will probably have to find a smaller heat mat. I went to wal mart and found smaller plastic tubs, but the way the bottom of it is shaped my current heat mat wouldn't be able to fit underneath them. I haven't tried scenting them since I thought he would go back to being accustomed to toads again.

Sterlite tubs found at Walmart, Target, etc,... Pick up the shoebox size one for him, along with a small hide that he will feel secure in. Don't take him out to feed, don't tong feed, and absolutely don't scent the pinkies. Since he has been eating unscented f/t for around 8 months now scenting would just be taking a step backwards. He is likely stressed from a combo of the move and being in a much larger enclusure with fully transparent sides. I'd switch him over to the shoebox size sterlite tub (should cost about $2), let him settle for about a week, then just leave a thawed pinkie outside his hidebox overnight. Trying to feed him every couple days is probably stressing him out also, especially if he's being removed from his enclosure or being tease fed with tongs.

They do have high metabolisms, but as was stated earlier can go for months without food. Even neonates, which are tiny things with little fat reserves, can go for 5+ months without eating.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
I had feeding problems with hognose snakes before. They are a pain in the ... when it comes to food. Mine only ate dead warm dry mice, not even rat pups. If the thawed out dry mouse got cold just for a second, the hognose refused it. I got so sick and tired I just gave him up. Not worth it in my opinion.

Tarantuloid

Arachnoknight
They're neat snakes, but I have literally tried everything to get him to eat and he refuses. My only thing left is moving him to a plastic shoebox. I'm trying to find one my current heat mat will fit under, but I'll probably have to pick up a different one.
I had feeding problems with hognose snakes before. They are a pain in the ... when it comes to food. Mine only ate dead warm dry mice, not even rat pups. If the thawed out dry mouse got cold just for a second, the hognose refused it. I got so sick and tired I just gave him up. Not worth it in my opinion.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
They're neat snakes, but I have literally tried everything to get him to eat and he refuses. My only thing left is moving him to a plastic shoebox. I'm trying to find one my current heat mat will fit under, but I'll probably have to pick up a different one.
Good luck.

I've read and heard stories worse than mine. They are real stubborn eaters, the worst in my opinion.

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hogs are no worse than many other other snake species. They can go off food sometimes if stressed or during breading season, but will go back on once the cause of the stress is removed. Babies can be a pain before they are switched to unscented, but even those will eat once you get the right scent down. The only way a hog will starve itself to death is if it was a baby which wasn't started on unscented, then no effort was made to get it switched, or if it was kept in conditions that were stressing it out and no attempt was made to rectify the environment.

Michael, that snake was eating f/t unscented every 5 days like clockwork. He'll be fine. Get him the smaller opaque container, let him settle in, then try about once every 5 days until he eats. As for the heat mat, just use one you have already and place a part of the shoebox over it. Set it up in a section of the house that doesn't get a lot of traffic. Then put a hide on each end, and leave him alone other than at feeding time. Finally, try not to stress. He can go a good while without food, and he will eat again because he was doing so like a machine prior to being shipped.

Tarantuloid

Arachnoknight
I doubt the snake will starve himself to death, and I strongly believe I was supplied with a western hognose that was in good health and raised on f/t pinkie mice. I'm currently moving him to a smaller and more secure enclosure roughly the size of a shoe box. I was a bit spoiled with my kingsnakes, which are usually really good eaters. Hognoses are a little different, but I'm sure once he becomes adjusted to his new enclosure, he will eat in given time.
Hogs are no worse than many other other snake species. They can go off food sometimes if stressed or during breading season, but will go back on once the cause of the stress is removed. Babies can be a pain before they are switched to unscented, but even those will eat once you get the right scent down. The only way a hog will starve itself to death is if it was a baby which wasn't started on unscented, then no effort was made to get it switched, or if it was kept in conditions that were stressing it out and no attempt was made to rectify the environment.

Michael, that snake was eating f/t unscented every 5 days like clockwork. He'll be fine. Get him the smaller opaque container, let him settle in, then try about once every 5 days until he eats. As for the heat mat, just use one you have already and place a part of the shoebox over it. Set it up in a section of the house that doesn't get a lot of traffic. Then put a hide on each end, and leave him alone other than at feeding time. Finally, try not to stress. He can go a good while without food, and he will eat again because he was doing so like a machine prior to being shipped.

Tarantuloid

Arachnoknight
I just wanted to let everyone know that yesterday morning he ate his first pinkie since I bought him. After I moved him into a much smaller terrarium, I thawed a pinkie out and left it in there overnight and he ate it.

I'm really glad it was just an enclosure size issue and nothing serious, as once I moved him, he ate unscented f/t pinkies no problem.