Were you to breed one species to make a profit which would it be?

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
M. balfouri or G. pulchra
im going to have to go with G.Pulchra......everyone wants one and they dont sell many also they arnt cheap. i have 5 2nd instars of these and its gonna be awhile before they get anywhare......when they grow up though{D they are awsome.:clap: :clap: thats just My opinion.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im going to have to go with G.Pulchra......everyone wants one and they dont sell many also they arnt cheap. i have 5 2nd instars of these and its gonna be awhile before they get anywhare......when they grow up though{D they are awsome.:clap: :clap: thats just My opinion.
you have 5 pulchras *panting heavily panting heavily*:} need some jewelry:drool:

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B. boehmei, smithi or auratum. When was the last time someone had a sac of auratum? Everyone seems to like at least one of these, and most newbies get some. You could get hundreds of slings and sell them pretty cheap and still make out like a bandit. Of course, breeding for profit is a terrible idea in the first place; the time and effort wasted on that endeavor could easily be spent at a real job and you'd make more. Breeding for fun is the way to go, and if you happen to make a profit, then congrats.

The reason I'd skip the other high-profile ones is because with the economy so bad, how many people are going to buy them? I could be wrong, but I'd prefer to be safe.

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You really can't make much money at breeding T's unless you have a lot of money and/or time to invest. Yes, you could sell balfouri or metallica slings for a lot, but the breeders would cost you a lot as well.
Plus just because you breed to spiders it doesn't mean you will get a sack, and even if you get a sack it doesn't mean you will have viable babies.
I found out a long time ago when I was breeding birds, breeding anything doesn't make money unless you have a ton of animals to breed and enough time to take care of them all.

Trav

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Megaphobema mesomelas

You don't see barely any in the hobby. The rare ones that do become available cost an arm and a leg.

I wouldn't do it so much for profit, rather than to increase them throughout the hobby.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
God I want a mesomelas....I guess you would want to breed either for demand or scarcity in the hobby N.B.

chandlermonster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would definitely breed GBB's. They are so colorful and in my opinion one of the most active and interesting tarantulas. Every hobbiest has one or wants one, plus they can't be imported from Venezuela anymore (where I've heard they only live in one remote scrubland) so I would be doing a service to hobbiests everywhere by keeping the species going in captivity.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would definitely breed GBB's. They are so colorful and in my opinion one of the most active and interesting tarantulas. Every hobbiest has one or wants one, plus they can't be imported from Venezuela anymore (where I've heard they only live in one remote scrubland) so I would be doing a service to hobbiests everywhere by keeping the species going in captivity.
yeah but think for a moment
to make easy profit they have to breed easily
and female gbbs are notorious for going psycho on their counter parts

yes hed be able to sell them but it would take a few males before he probably got a sac out of them

maybe a type of pokie that seems like a pretty pricey group of spiders and i havent heard anyone complaining about how hard they are to breed or how common they are

hasani1408

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
m.balfouri of course! i probabally wouldnt do it for profit i would be so selfish and want to keep them all to myself. they are just so beautiful.

jonnysebachi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with some of the above. It is really difficult to make a profit from breeding things. My birds and goats barely pay for themselves. Seems like T's would be even harder. I lost 3 male rosies trying to get my female bred. I can't imagine loosing expensive T's. However, I would think it would be easier to sell the less expensive slings. I vote for A. versicolor.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
why didnt i think of that
versis are always wanted
and avics arent to hard to breed
seems lik and idea
but getting a hold of a breeding pair would cost a fortune:eek:

Arachnosold1er

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Theraphosa Blondi. Cuz nobody ever has the dang things! They arent the most expensive but are still very hard to come by. And doesnt EVERYONE want a 10"+ tarantula?!?!

Trav

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with some of the above. It is really difficult to make a profit from breeding things. My birds and goats barely pay for themselves. Seems like T's would be even harder. I lost 3 male rosies trying to get my female bred. I can't imagine loosing expensive T's. However, I would think it would be easier to sell the less expensive slings. I vote for A. versicolor.
I'm guessing you would leave the males in with the female. Either that or your rosie is just a stone cold killer!

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im taking care of about 40 ts for a friend right now and in his collection are 4 pulchras that im going to miss the most so my vote would go for a pulchra because i think every hobbyist deserves one..their docile and beautiful

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
why didnt i think of that
versis are always wanted
and avics arent to hard to breed
seems lik and idea
but getting a hold of a breeding pair would cost a fortune:eek:
NOt really you could just get the female and probably get a loan for the male