Weird, but serious, question

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
Weird rookie question, but I have about half of a bag of Zoo Med Eco Earth that I used to use with my ball python as a small base before putting Reptichip on top of it. I have had it for a year and a half, but I was curious if it could go bad? Mainly due to some type of mold or fungal growth that I may be unaware of as a newcomer? It has always been kept dry and indoors in an air conditioned environment. I actually used a chip clip on the bag to keep it closed as much as possible. I have 4 slings coming Wednesday and I wanted to ask just in case I needed to go get more before I start setting up their enclosures. May be a super dumb question to ask if dirt can go bad, but I just don't want something unknown, but avoidable to be a danger to the T's. Please be gentle. Lol!

Dman

Arachnosquire
Not a dumb question at all. As long as there is no visible mold and it has been kept dry you should have no issues.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Dry goods usually last for a long time, even when kept slightly moist depending on what it is.

Enjoy your new tarantulas!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No question is ever dumb when you're coming from a genuine place of wanting to learn :)

Not a dumb question at all. As long as there is no visible mold and it has been kept dry you should have no issues.
I'd like to add that a) visible mold can be easily taken care of and b) mold can be mostly invisible (but it would have a pungent odor in a bag and this would be due to moisture).

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much Teal! It’s always awkward starting new things, but I appreciate that everyone here has been so willing to help.

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
Thanks Grym! I appreciate the info! I was actually looking at your pictures of your Theraphosinae sp. Panama
earlier. That’s one of the slings I have coming on Wednesday. Any tips on husbandry?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thanks Grym! I appreciate the info! I was actually looking at your pictures of your Theraphosinae sp. Panama
earlier. That’s one of the slings I have coming on Wednesday. Any tips on husbandry?
I need to get some more as mine's male, unfortunately they don't pop up that often and they're not that cheap either.

They're pretty easy tbh, enough slightly moist sub so that they can burrow if they want to, hide (you can pop a couple of fake plants outside the entrance if you want, they do like to web a little), and water dish.

Just be aware that they can bloody shift when they want to.

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
OK, cool! Whenever I feed my slings now, I move the enclosures into a giant plastic tub just in case they bail while I’m feeding or cleaning, I have a bit more time to use the catch cup. Maybe if I end up with a female we can attempt to pair them up at some point down the road? Not sure how long females take to mature, but it may be worth a shot.

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
Haha! I don’t, but better safe than sorry, especially when I’m so new to this. Which I got a double dose of today because I just had to call the fire department because my CO detector went off. Ended up being an expired unit. Didn’t want to be the guy who didn’t call and then my family and I never woke up. I’m glad I have a bunch of substrate I can use now. Just have to go pick up some more cork bark and some silk plants and other random decorations for these new enclosures.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Just have to go pick up some more cork bark and some silk plants and other random decorations for these new enclosures.
Youre not going to need much decor wise since there all slings but always handy to have some around I guess. What are the 4 that’s coming?

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
Youre not going to need much decor wise since there all slings but always handy to have some around I guess. What are the 4 that’s coming?
Probably just small things like a tiny skull or something that would add to the aesthetics. The 4 I'm getting would be C. versicolor, D. diamantinensis, D. pentalore, and Theraphosinae sp. Panama.