Weird Bug ID!!!

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those things are pretty cool. If I could ever get enough live ones (having never seen one alive!) I would try to start a culture of them.... not sure if they would be good for anything though... ?? ???

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they're all over here... been finding them m whole life:} i hear they can give you a nasty bite but i've never experienced it:D

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If anyone has seen the original 1931 Dracula with Bela Lugosi, there is a quick scene where a Jerusalem Cricket emerges from a tiny casket. The intended effect was that it was a human sized bug but it doesn't really work!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL, I had a funny experience with one of these (they like pinhead crickets I learned BTW). When I was a kid I found a huge one of these and kept it in a tuppleware container. Well, being as A.D.D. as a kid can be, after I had fed it I had sped off to go play some games and left the lid open!

Somehow the little beast managed to climb a 5" space between the top and the substrate and went missing for 2 days.

I forgot what I was doing but I suddenly hear a loud "DANIELLE!!" I go into the livingroom and my mom points to the carpet, "Is this one of your's? I was cleaning and I thought it was a candy wrapper and tried picking it up and it kicked me!" I took my insect back and kept him for a week longer before it died. They're kind of pet holes but really low maintenance.

Oh, and like all crickets, they reek like heck dead. My dad stepped on a big one before and when I found it a foot away I could smell it. X-P

BigToach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i find em here in so cal all the time. they like to burrow in loose soil. they have a nickel sized hole to the opening of the burrow. lift up logs or rocks around moist areas. gnarly little guys.