Weird after molt behavior?

Lunar

Arachnopeon
Alright I went to bed at around 4:00 am? When I went to sleep I saw my 5" female P. platyomma flipped. Well I awoke at 8:30 and decided to remove the molt and noticed it was acting really funny. When it moved it was somewhat sluggish, like not all its legs were working, and seemed like it was dragging its body around. It didn't just parade around on all 8 legs like T's usually do, its keeping its body very low to the ground. I brushed its abdomen gently and it kicked hairs and moved, so its responsive but once again dragging its body around kinda. This is my first time having an adult molt so I'm just kind of worried.

I brought a picture of the position it has itself in and always goes back to. So is it cleaning or possible death curl? It looks likes its cleaning I just want everyone's opinion about all this.

Please help guys. Thank you.

Last edited:

Jilly1337

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You probably just need to give it a little more time to get the blood pumped throughout it's now larger body. If you sit and watch a T molt, it takes up to several hours before they are able to walk around normally.

Lunar

Arachnopeon
You probably just need to give it a little more time to get the blood pumped throughout it's now larger body. If you sit and watch a T molt, it takes up to several hours before they are able to walk around normally.
Thank you thats good to know. I just want her to be alright. Also, this time around he seems red and kinda blue and grey. It's very strange, but she is very beautiful.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Glad your T is doing well, Lunar. Just in case you didn't already know this, your T will be verrrry delicate for the next week or so. It will probabaly be about 2 weeks before it has hardened up enough to eat so don't even offer it food yet. For the next 2 weeks you should not touch or agitate your T in any way. Make sure it has plenty of water because they're thirsty after a molt. Also, it would probably enjoy a little extra humidity right now while you're at it.

Beautiful T though. What is that, a Pamphobeteus?

Lunar

Arachnopeon
Glad your T is doing well, Lunar. Just in case you didn't already know this, your T will be verrrry delicate for the next week or so. It will probabaly be about 2 weeks before it has hardened up enough to eat so don't even offer it food yet. For the next 2 weeks you should not touch or agitate your T in any way. Make sure it has plenty of water because they're thirsty after a molt. Also, it would probably enjoy a little extra humidity right now while you're at it.

Beautiful T though. What is that, a Pamphobeteus?
Yes it is, Pamphobeteus "sp" platyomma. Since the real P. platyomma isn't in the hobby correct? Also thanks for the tips. I will get the humidity up right away.

Rhapsody

Arachnopeon
Molting takes a lot of energy and when tarantulas get older it takes a little more out of them to molt, but their molts are also spaced apart with wider spans of time. She looks like she just needs a little time to recover her ability to function after her molt. Keep us posted, Lunar. <3

Lunar

Arachnopeon
Yeah she is fine now, I guess I was just worrying about nothing. Thanks everyone for their help. She climbed on top of her hide a few minutes after I posted the topic. haha.