Webbing

Pandora®©™

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok I need some advice on cleaning the T's house, she makes all these webs all over the dirt, should I clean them out or leave them in there?

Sometimes it looks like they have mold on them but I never smell mold in there, and there is plenty of ventilation (I have a screen lid for it). I also keep a heating pad under her house to make sure it don’t get to cold. From what I’ve read her being from the tropics she likes her house to be warm and humid but how much is to much humidity.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What type of spider is it ?? usually a large water dish will be fine for humidity and heat pads are generally not needed....room temps are fine...70 degrees will do just fine...as far as the webbing goes it is there for a reason, dont remove it from the substrate...please post a little more info about the spider...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Pandora®©™

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She is a Costa Rican Zebra T. I haven’t had her all that long although she did finely molt and now has all her hairs back. She was given to me so I don’t know a lot about her, age and such.
I just change her cage and added a lot more dirt this time about 8 in since it’s say she likes to dig, so far though she hasn’t started. I have been feeding her quit often at least 2 crickets a day and she always eats what ever I put in there.
I never do find any remains from her meals. As for the heating pad I keep real really cool in my house and her tank was staying below 65, I have also don’t have as much wet in there as I did the first time I put her house together and much better ventilation.
Thanks for any info you can give.

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well as for the remains they mix dirt up in with whatever they are eating so if you look around you'll see little balls of dirt. These are pieces of bolus and are the left overs from the T's last meals. You should pick them out of there every once in awhile to keep it clean.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Once she settles in you can leave a water dish in there and that will be just fine....the substrate can be left dry...

Pandora®©™

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
why shouldn't I remove the webs from the dirt? how else am I supposed to clean it if I don't?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pandora®©™ said:
why shouldn't I remove the webs from the dirt? how else am I supposed to clean it if I don't?

Just remove the bolus...this can be done with spring forceps ( long tweezers ) this way the enclosure can remain somewhat undisturbed...

Pandora®©™

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whats the webbing for anyway, she don't need it to catch her food? and it looks moldy to me Prob isn't but still looks that way and there is no mold smell...

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If there is mold then there is not enough ventilation and the tank is far to moist...they like the feel of the webbing on their feet perhaps...none the less the webbing is there for a reason...if there is mold remove it...and let things dry out....

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pandora®©™ said:
Would you like someone coming into your home and removing all of your carpets?

Seriously, she is laying the web for her own comfort and needs. There is no reason to remove it unless there is a mold or mite problem.

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yea..she doesn like the substrate so shes laying silk over it to walk on..its normal..just leave it...

Pandora®©™

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think there is mold on it just looks like it there is no mold smell and i just change the substrate and it's not very wet only a water bowl in there. I have seen her looking like she was patting down the dirt with her little feet though, why is she doing that??

Rico

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pandora®©™ said:
I have seen her looking like she was patting down the dirt with her little feet though, why is she doing that??
Did u have some music on at the time. I think she was probably dancing. Don't you sometimes dance when your cleaning your house. She's just doing the same.