Ways to kill Ts for preservation

rosenkrieger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
go hug a tree or something. he plainly said he wants to preserve it! sheesh!!
I'm not a tree hugger by any means, I just don't see the point in killing something just so he can take it along with him. Why not give or sell it to someone who can enjoy it for the rest of it's life.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cokacola, have you asked any of your friends or family to keep the obt while you're gone? Or you should just send it off to one of the members ont he boards so it isn't waisted...

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm not a tree hugger by any means, I just don't see the point in killing something just so he can take it along with him. Why not give or sell it to someone who can enjoy it for the rest of it's life.
sorry about the tree hugger comment, but it gets annoying when people keep questioning someone's motives.

they guy wants to preserve his pet T. it's a bug. let him do what he wants to do. he's asking for advice, so unless people have advice to contribute on killing it in a way it can be preserved, there is really no point to all this...

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I think a lot of you people are being big babies. Its not like he is torturing it. Plenty of animals are raised just so they can be killed. And the death of this guy's T is not a big deal. I think it would be cool to cast it in resin, that way you can take it where ever you go, and you will be able to see it clearly from all angles. It would also be a lot less fragile that way than in a bug-box or jar.

mistercurls

Arachnopeon
Not adding fuel to the fire, just my two cents.

It's his t and he can very well do whatever the hell he wants to with it. If he wants to preserve it then so be it. Its not like he is coming to your house to kill all of your tarantulas. To quote SomethingBig " T's are still just bugs to some people." I say go ahead and do what you must.

rosenkrieger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, alright. Sorry about my little outburst there. My vote is resin. I've got a friend that casts bugs in resin and T's turn out really well. Here's links for the stuff you'd need:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=75&PHPSESSID=200807252111321046901320

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=387&PHPSESSID=200807252111321046901320

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=40&PHPSESSID=200807252119361278435072

these are optional if you can improvise
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=195&PHPSESSID=200807252119361278435072

Also, if you go the resin route, i'd suggest practicing on wild bugs or something more expendable than your pet obt. It can be a tricky process.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is a thread on here somewhere by "Hexd". It has good pointers on how to preserve an insect. Just run a search on it :)

joebarry

Arachnopeon
enough is enough

i feel bad if your willing to sell it i will buy it but i need information on it

joebarry

Arachnopeon
sorry about the tree hugger comment, but it gets annoying when people keep questioning someone's motives.

they guy wants to preserve his pet T. it's a bug. let him do what he wants to do. he's asking for advice, so unless people have advice to contribute on killing it in a way it can be preserved, there is really no point to all this...
well how would you feel if i said that i wanted to kill someone in this thread. and then said because my world is upside down and i am sad, you dont know my motives so please defend me.

C0kaCoLa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yo cool down guys.. sorry for starting this heated argument... I might think of giving it away but i think my location is ver vert far away from u guys..

I dun kill it jus because i cannot care for it.. i would love to keep it by my side that is why earlier i ask if they could survive a year or so without food.. i also 1 2 preserve it to keep it forever for memory.. hope u guys understand..

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well how would you feel if i said that i wanted to kill someone in this thread. and then said because my world is upside down and i am sad, you dont know my motives so please defend me.
what are you like 10? your little scenario there doesn't even make sense... you're comparing YOU murdering another human being to some dude wanting to kill his spider (a bug) in order to keep it and preserve it..?

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yo cool down guys.. sorry for starting this heated argument... I might think of giving it away but i think my location is ver vert far away from u guys..

I dun kill it jus because i cannot care for it.. i would love to keep it by my side that is why earlier i ask if they could survive a year or so without food.. i also 1 2 preserve it to keep it forever for memory.. hope u guys understand..
dang... and all this time I was giving it the benefit of the doubt thinking maybe you were going to kill it because it was about to die anyway (ex. ultimate molt).............

well its def your business, the killing it to preserve it thing.. but good luck with everything..

Jwwjr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i dont want to get in on the flame train but what i would do for freezing mice/rats to save for my snake was a CO2 chamber, ive also read about using vinegar and baking soda and allowing the fumes do the same thing... i havent tried the baking soda and vinegar one tho...

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

If you CAN care for it, why would you kill it?

Wait, why can't you take it with you? I'm sure japan has some pet shops, or at least some wild insects you could catch and feed to your t.

I disagree with purchasing pets you can't take care of; that's very irresponsible. You should have thought about that when you purchased it.

I know many people that would love to take care of your obt while you're away....when you get back it'll be happy, ALIVE, and bigger. I think you should sell it/give it to someone to take care of rather than killing it.

Seriously, post an ad in the For sale/trade section.

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well i dont want to get in on the flame train but what i would do for freezing mice/rats to save for my snake was a CO2 chamber, ive also read about using vinegar and baking soda and allowing the fumes do the same thing... i havent tried the baking soda and vinegar one tho...
yeah, actually people use co2 as an anesthesia. i believe Talkenlate04 has a thread somewhere where he's used it to do surgery on a T. if you expose the T to co2 longer, it would prolly kill it. i dunno how it would hold up, but i imagine it couldn't be too bad...

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LoL.. dun get the wrong idea..

My original plan was to care for it until it dies of old age then preserve it... but since there's a change of plan, I will have to preserve it earlier before waiting for it to die of old age...

still sad that i cant preserve it later when it grows bigger...
....I don't think this is the right hobby for you; patience is a virtue you need to acquire.

Just buy a preserved t off ebay (IMO a 5 month old obt doesn't make much of a display when it's preserved....what is it, maybe 2.5"?)......cheaper than buyin live tarantulas. As said many times, a LOT of people would like to buy it.

Solution: sell live t so someone else can preserve its life, and then use acquired money to purchase a large, dead specimen from ebay.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
....I don't think this is the right hobby for you; patience is a virtue you need to acquire.

Just buy a preserved t off ebay (IMO a 5 month old obt doesn't make much of a display when it's preserved....what is it, maybe 2.5"?)......cheaper than buyin live tarantulas. As said many times, a LOT of people would like to buy it.

Solution: sell live t so someone else can preserve its life, and then use acquired money to purchase a large, dead specimen from ebay.

HOLLA! . . . . . . . .