Waterdrop... Drool?

Yuglooc

Arachnopeon
I noticed that my G.Rose had a waterdrop hanging under it. Pretty much under it's mouth. As I was watching it, my dog hit the side of the container with her tail and the waterdrop fell. About a minute later another waterdrop appeared.

What is this? Is it drool? Is it urinating?

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm guessing venom. I watched as my rosea lunged at a cricket once. She missed the cricket, but hit a terra cotta pot. I heard her fangs hit with a chink and she left a large drip of venom running down the pot! She got the cricket about 2 seconds later, lol.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Many T's will drool on occasion, also together with cleaning (or prior). Not certain what it is, but if it's not in hunting mode I'd rather suspect it's comming from the stomach instead of the fangs. Venom is an "expensive" substance and I'd think they'd save that for when it's really needed.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok I see this all the time, and if you catch it when it starts they can drop sometimes 3-5 drops of fluid, I have always been curious what that fluid is, but I see them do it the most when in premolt, so maybe its the excess fluid between the old skin and the new. But Honestly I have no clue.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Amanda said:
I'm guessing venom. I watched as my rosea lunged at a cricket once. She missed the cricket, but hit a terra cotta pot. I heard her fangs hit with a chink and she left a large drip of venom running down the pot! She got the cricket about 2 seconds later, lol.
Its not venom though I do know that much, these drops dont have anything to do with feeding or aggression, I have only seen them when they are sitting there still as can be.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here's a shot of my G.rosea juicing up a cricket. Is this what you saw?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
Many T's will drool on occasion, also together with cleaning (or prior). Not certain what it is, but if it's not in hunting mode I'd rather suspect it's comming from the stomach instead of the fangs. Venom is an "expensive" substance and I'd think they'd save that for when it's really needed.
I'm sure its this, the digestive fluid cleans the fangs

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Gigus said:
I'm sure its this, the digestive fluid cleans the fangs
I know more then a few have had to have seen this, the T will sit there motionless and on its toes most of the time all though not all of the time, and just excreet drops of fluid, more often then not a few drops at a time, so I doubt that its digestive fluid.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
talkenlate04 said:
I know more then a few have had to have seen this, the T will sit there motionless and on its toes most of the time all though not all of the time, and just excreet drops of fluid, more often then not a few drops at a time, so I doubt that its digestive fluid.
Im not sure what else it can be, but it being the same fluid they salvate onto a prey item to digest it seems to make the most sense

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Gigus said:
Im not sure what else it can be, but it being the same fluid they salvate onto a prey item to digest it seems to make the most sense
When they do this its not even close to when they ate last. It from what I can tell has nothing to do with feeding, or cleaning. For now I have a theory that its a secondary way to remove waste, but I wont know for a while longer I want to catch one of those drops and go from there, but they hardly do it so there is no telling when Ill be able to do that.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well after feeding the fangs have just been bathed in digestive juices so are oretty much clean by the end of the meal. afte a while though the fangs get covvered in who knows what, tarantula's are very cleanly creatures, i often see my rosea "bathing" her self whilst looking perfectly clean.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can often see Ts grooming their fangs, and whatever, as said they are very clean creatures.

subic_spiderworld

Arachnopeon
Gigus said:
well after feeding the fangs have just been bathed in digestive juices so are oretty much clean by the end of the meal. afte a while though the fangs get covvered in who knows what, tarantula's are very cleanly creatures, i often see my rosea "bathing" her self whilst looking perfectly clean.
I agree, I often see this fluid about a day after my tarantulas ate a meal. specially if it is a large meal. I even see this in my slings and juvenile tarantuals. they usuall y hang on the side of the enclosure.