Water... Tap or bottled?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Hi all

Was just wondering what water you use for your Ts water dishes and cleaning the tanks I see a lot of people say to stay away from tap water because of the minerals in it... Is this because it damages the Ts health or more so the fact the minerals build up on the enclosure walls?

I personally used bottled mineral/spring water as I myself hate the slight chlorine taste that comes with tap water as I don't like it I'd prefer my Ts to stay away from it but... As I was refilling water bowls with my bottle of mineral water I thought.. Doesn't bottled mineral consist of roughly the same mineral tap water does? If so what's the benefit of switching from water on tap to paying for effectively the same thing just... In a bottle...

So yea what do you prefer to use and any reasons why you use a particular water source, and if anyone wants to answer any of the above Qs too it would be much appreciated :)

Boatman

Arachnosquire
Good question. I'm curious, too (no pun intended).

I use tap water, but I let it sit for a few days first.

salmonpink

Arachnopeon
I use bottled or filtered from my fridge. I get bottled at dollar tree for 1$ a 6 pack

---------- Post added 03-28-2012 at 12:28 PM ----------

U can boil water then cool it also

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Boiling water will increase solute levels, so it depends on how you're trying to treat the water.

I use bottled spring water, not to avoid minerals in tap water, but things like flourine, chlorine and chloramine. Letting water sit will allow any chlorine evaporate out, but chloramine still remains. I will likely switch to distilled water to reduce mineral deposits on the enclosure walls.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Boiling water will increase solute levels, so it depends on how you're trying to treat the water.

I use bottled spring water, not to avoid minerals in tap water, but things like flourine, chlorine and chloramine. Letting water sit will allow any chlorine evaporate out, but chloramine still remains. I will likely switch to distilled water to reduce mineral deposits on the enclosure walls.
This was the kinda answer I was looking for are the above chemicals harmful to a T or is it more of an 'avoid to prevent any issue as it isn't 100% confirmed) type thing?

Nebulosa

Arachnopeon
I use distilled. When I mist it doesn't leave water/mineral spots on the glass/plexiglass. My animals (herps & inverts) get the minerals they need from the gut-loaded and occassional vitimin-dusted prey items.

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
I use bottled water for drinking because it tastes better than tap. Tarantulas have no taste buds(that I'm aware of), so since taste isn't an issue I give them tap, and they've never complained.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I use bottled water for drinking because it tastes better than tap. Tarantulas have no taste buds(that I'm aware of), so since taste isn't an issue I give them tap, and they've never complained.

Lol @ the never complained instantly made me think of the G.rosea owners who get threat postures when switching water in bowls... I imagined it as the rosea threatening as if to say 'yea that better be distiller water or that bowls getting turned into a sub dumping ground' lol

Which also sends me on a tangent... Any of the owners whose Ts dump sub in the water bowls what type of water are you using? ( was thinking maybe the T senses the chems in tap water andbrills it with sub to eradicate the 'threat')

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... Was just wondering what water you use for your Ts water dishes and cleaning the tanks I see a lot of people say to stay away from tap water because of the minerals in it... Is this because it damages the Ts health or more so the fact the minerals build up on the enclosure walls? ...
Basically, your tarantula can drink any water that you can. (But, whether or not you WOULD is a different issue!) Remember, these creatures EVOLVED in dirt, exposed to minerals and a bunch of other contaminants that would absolutely knock your socks off. A little calcium or chlorine just adds flavor. What they CAN'T tolerate are pesticide contaminants like run off from farmers' fields, and insecticides and weed killers sprayed by your next door neighbor and the highway department.

Remember,

[size=+1]WE'RE THE FRAGILE SPECIES! NOT THE TARANTULAS![/SIZE]

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
Since I just did an essay about bottled vs. tap water, ill give my input. First off, bottled water gets expensive. Considering nearly all of the brands are purified tap water which means it contains the same minerals and some even have lead (rare) and chlorine still. Just FYI. If you like the taste, sure, but IMO its a huge waste of money (unless you pay for tap anyway). :)

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
Tap but I let it sit for a day or two to let the chlorine evaporate. Been doing that for years with years with fish, reptiles and now tarantulas with no problems.

vixsta

Arachnopeon
I use boiled water from the kettle that has been allowed to cool.

I don't have enough T's to justify buying bottled water (which is also overpriced in my opinion).

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Basically, your tarantula can drink any water that you can. (But, whether or not you WOULD is a different issue!) Remember, these creatures EVOLVED in dirt, exposed to minerals and a bunch of other contaminants that would absolutely knock your socks off. A little calcium or chlorine just adds flavor. What they CAN'T tolerate are pesticide contaminants like run off from farmers' fields, and insecticides and weed killers sprayed by your next door neighbor and the highway department.

Remember,

[size=+1]WE'RE THE FRAGILE SPECIES! NOT THE TARANTULAS![/SIZE]
Completely agree with Stan on this point, particularly his last line.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Great replies guys I was considering getting a filter but I'll just stick to bottled water it's only £2 for 6L and it last for a while anyway. I just saw a few people say they avoid tap water and wondered what the reason was I thought it was because of more reasons than just mineral build up but thanks for clearing it all up :)
Thanks pikaia your input is always appreciated, the Calcium I saw on the bottle chemical composition gave a slight worry as people say about the calcium obtained from eating mice etc can cause molt issues obviously the amount of Calcium in water is minimal compared to that of a mouse but wouldn't the build up over time run the risk of molt complications?

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... the Calcium I saw on the bottle chemical composition gave a slight worry as people say about the calcium obtained from eating mice etc can cause molt issues obviously the amount of Calcium in water is minimal compared to that of a mouse but wouldn't the build up over time run the risk of molt complications?
First, perform an Advanced Search on these forums using calcium molting as your search string. Put on another pot of coffee or pour yourself another glass, cup, stein or flagon of your favorite beverage. It's going to be a looooong night!

Also, read the following links:

T won't eat mouse

Best Food to Feed Crickets for Tarantulas

Hope this answers your questions. Best of luck.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Tap water moslty! i figured tap water cant be to bad considering most of us drink it

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
Tap water moslty! i figured tap water cant be to bad considering most of us drink it
Well, not completely true. Chlorine has been connected with some cancers and asthma... Don't panick! Only in large amounts probably.
That's kind of like saying, "Everyone eats Mc' Donalds, it can't be so bad." lol I'm being nit picky aren't I... :p

Edit: I use tap, but it sits for at least a day in the spray bottle/tiny water dish which must get rid of most chemicals. I drink filtered water mostly. Animals get tap. :p

Grin

Arachnoknight
I buy distilled water, it's like $0.79 a gallon and lasts awhile.