Water crystal consumption

ThyTempest

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,

We are getting our dubias soon, and wanted to see how much water crystal polymer we should buy.

Assuming a colony of 1000ish dubias, how much water crystal will they eat per month/week/year (however you want to put it). Also, do the crystals have a shelf life, assuming they stay dry?

The two best sources I have found are the same price for 2 pound packages, but one of them offers a 1 pound package. If 1 pound is going to last me forever, or if there is a significant shelf life of the dry crystals, I think I will forgo the bulk savings and just get 1 pound.

Thanks
Austin

DFox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
{D
I don't know about lasting forever but yeah you'll get about 16 gallons worth out of a 1lb. bag of crystals. It seems like if you're starting with 1000 you may actually see the end of that 1lb. bag in 6-12 months? Hard to say.

ThyTempest

Arachnopeon
I am starting with 500, but we wont be feeding out of it for several months, so I am just using 1000 as a good go-between, common colony number.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
even with my colony pushing 1500+ a pound lasts forever, i go through a gallon in about 3 months

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I found a cheap 52oz jug of the stuff on Amazon. I plan on being set for life now.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You may have considered the no water idea, I don't use water crystals and I've had them for at least two years, I have 1000s now. I just feed them greens and fruit. Looks like they get enough water that way.

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah whenever I have fruits and veggies in there (3 days a week) the water crystals are useless. They literally ignore them while the goods are there.

But when I just got the dry food in with them for a few days I keep some water for them on standby. I started with 100 last year and have... id say ~1500...:eek:

(on a side note) I've recently removed my heat source for my dubias and they are doing fine at room temperature as well. Breeding and eating.

I was hoping to reduce population growth and so far I think they breed the same..:?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the only thing about feeding fruits is fruit flys....seems whenever i have fed fruit i get an outbreak of them...so i feed only dry with water crystals availible at all times.

deathwing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doesnt it hurt our feeders? Because it is not advisable for human consumption, so I think it has some sort of synthetic coumpounds that are not good for ingestion.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Doesnt it hurt our feeders? Because it is not advisable for human consumption, so I think it has some sort of synthetic coumpounds that are not good for ingestion.
yeah it is synthetic.....its polycarbonate.....but it wont hurt your feeders....ive used it exclusivly for a year now....good stuff...it isnt recomended for people id say mainly because it can cause some kind of blockage....or absorb our water...since were 70 percent water....it could dehydrate a human.....works great for my roaches though

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I go through about 5L per month, but I have 13 colonies.

I would guess I use 1/4 of a liter per 1000 roaches, per month. Obviously I do top the water up periodically, as the gel dries...

Also waaaaay cool as hydration method for Stick Insects - keeps the leaves from drying out too quickly...:D

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The stuff isn't advisable for human because it's made from polyacrylamide. In its monomer, non-polymer form its a potent neurotoxin. You get in anhydrous (dried out) polymer form, which is harmless. I know that there have been tests that showed that it may degrade a bit back to its monomer form a bit, but I don't think anybody here would say that it has hurt there animals. Give me five dollars and i'll eat it.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ahhh..skips thanks for correcting me...i said polycarbonate but i knew what i was talking about:wall: i tried though....thanks for having my back in a way...also thanks for correcting me honestly.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ahhh..skips thanks for correcting me...i said polycarbonate but i knew what i was talking about:wall: i tried though....thanks for having my back in a way...also thanks for correcting me honestly.
nah, I had to look up polycarbonate myself. It's really pretty close, just different monomer groups. haha, i'm so new to scorpions and T's I take whatever other chance I can get to offer my two cents. biology/chemistry=:D , scorpion/tarantula zoology=:? .

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have mine on dry feed available at all times and fruit or vegetables once a week. They have thrived this way. Also, they are kept at room temperature which isn't really too cool at all, but they do fine without an extra heat source IMO. Just make sure they have enough space and hides and a regular supply of food and the crystals should remain as optional.