Warning Signs

naychur

Arachnosquire
Don't kill me for asking what might seem to be an obvious question :o_O:, but what are the warning signs that a T will display when it does not want to be bothered? I know about the attack pose and hair flicking, but are there any other signs that I need to be aware of? I have not noticed this topic approached in any of my research. Maybe there are no other warning signs? I would think that some species may have different signs than others, but I was thinking there was a little more to it.

Thanks in advance for any forsite.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Retreating to its hide or burrow (NW and OW)
Threat pose (NW and OW)
Kicking hairs, or even just turning its back on you and getting in position to kick (NW)
Scrunching up into a spider fetal position (NW and OW)
Some will race around their enclosure looking for an escape route (slings more than adults, and OW more than NW, in my experience)
Standing up 'tall' and raising the abdomen (NW)
Standing up 'tall' and advancing slowly toward the threat with fangs slightly lowered (mostly OW, though I've seen NW do it, too)

In general, 99.999% of tarantulas do not want to be bothered, whether they display overt signs or not.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In addition to what's posted above, my two Brachypelmas (smithi/boehmei) tend to stiffen up completely when they're about to freak out. Unfortunately, this has only occurred when they were in my hand :mask:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also, squirting liquid out of it's bottom
Ah! There's a good one that I forgot! What an endearing characteristic, that poo-shooting... :)
As well as the 'stop and freeze before teleporting' stance, which is not to be confused with the 'stop and freeze before sinking fangs' stance.

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Retreating to its hide or burrow (NW and OW)
Threat pose (NW and OW)
Kicking hairs, or even just turning its back on you and getting in position to kick (NW)
Scrunching up into a spider fetal position (NW and OW)
Some will race around their enclosure looking for an escape route (slings more than adults, and OW more than NW, in my experience)
Standing up 'tall' and raising the abdomen (NW)
Standing up 'tall' and advancing slowly toward the threat with fangs slightly lowered (mostly OW, though I've seen NW do it, too)

In general, 99.999% of tarantulas do not want to be bothered, whether they display overt signs or not.

Nailed it on the head lol :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Two simple questions:

a) Have you bought some literature on T's maybe? If not, I'd suggest that anyways. A lot of useful information. TKG is just ONE good one. There's a load of more...

b) Why, exactly, are you wondering about this? Do you plan to handle, or just out of curiousity, or...?

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't kill me for asking what might seem to be an obvious question :o_O:, ...
We seldom object to silly questions. They're a lot easier to handle than silly mistakes!

... but what are the warning signs that a T will display when it does not want to be bothered? ...
There are generally three common reactions:

1. Stand their ground, rear back, and threaten. (Click the thumbnails for larger images.)

(Grammostola rosea - Chilean rose tarantula)

(Pterinochilus murinus - Usumbura red or gold tarantula, OBT. Sorry that the photo is somewhat out of focus.)

Haplopelma lividum - cobalt blue tarantula)

You are in particularly deep doo-doo if you can see venom dripping from the fangs' tips.

2. Another reaction is a simple flight. Many of the New World species (e.g., Brachypelma) will also kick their urticating bristles into the air while doing this. (And no, tarantulas don't "shoot" their "hair!" Tarantulas don't have "hair. They have "setae" or "bristles." And at most they'll only "fluff" them in your general direction.) Some will actually thump their "feet" as they retreat!

3. Sit there and accept it. Contrary to some peoples' contentions, there is no reproducible evidence that tarantulas either "like" or "dislike" being touched or handled. And indeed, such is probably not even provable.

It's interesting to note that different kinds, and even different individual tarantulas of the same kind will quite commonly behave differently. For instance, while many will adopt a threat stance or run and try to hide, the majority, once in captivity for a while, while merely sit there immobile, and wait. And, I've had lots of New World tarantulas (Brachypelma, Grammostola, Aphonopelma) that would actually come to the front of their cages when I entered the spider room as though they either wanted to be fed or handled. Strangely, if someone came in with me, they wouldn't do this.

I am haunted by Douglas Adams' white mice.

Last edited:

naychur

Arachnosquire
@Storm76: I have been able to find only one book "Tarantulas and other Arachnids" by Samuel D Marshall. This does not seem to be an area where T keeping is overly popular. I am going to have to order other books. I did find this one book quite interesting. I have been looking thru the internet and watching videos.

I am wondering about this mostly as general curiosity. I have reptiles and they all have a very visual and audio display of warning signs....exp my snakes, but never came across any mention of it with Ts except threat posture and hair flicking. Also, Yes, I do intend to handle. I am doing educational programs on reptiles/amphibians/inverts and am raising up my "show" animals. I don't plan to pass around a T, but I would like to be able to hold it while I did my talk. I know that will depend on the species and that is being taken into consideration when I obtain my Ts. Plus, I am a hands on person. I just want to touch. Can't help it.

---------- Post added 05-27-2012 at 01:57 PM ----------

@Pikaia: The reason for my opening line in this thread is that I read another thread about an advanced keeper complaining because the newbies were all asking the same questions about "boring" Ts. I can't know everything in the 2 months I have been keeping Ts and just was trying to head off any.....you should know by now, or what a stupid question, etc. I am still researching/reading. Some things just are as easily answered by a book or a video.

Thanks to all for replying!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had lots of New World tarantulas (Brachypelma, Grammostola, Aphonopelma that would actually come to the front of their cages when I entered the spider room as though they either wanted to be fed or handled. Strangely, if someone came in with me, they wouldn't do this.
I, too, have experienced this with many of my tarantulas (and some tropical fish.) I don't routinely handle mine, so they can't be seeking 'personal interaction'...
I swear, my one G. rosea recognizes my mom. Until my mom was hospitalized with a stroke, the two of them would have a 'conversation' every morning.

I read another thread about an advanced keeper complaining because the newbies were all asking the same questions about "boring" Ts.
Well, I am more experienced than some, less experienced than others, I still ask the occasional 'stupid' question. And I have some 'boring' Ts that I absolutely adore.
Some people need a sign... ;-)

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@Storm76: I have been able to find only one book "Tarantulas and other Arachnids" by Samuel D Marshall. This does not seem to be an area where T keeping is overly popular. I am going to have to order other books. I did find this one book quite interesting. I have been looking thru the internet and watching videos. ...
Interesting. Shreveport is a big enough town that some pet shop should carry the most popular three: Breene, Marshall, and Schultz & Schultz. If not see below.

... I am doing educational programs on reptiles/amphibians/inverts and am raising up my "show" animals. I don't plan to pass around a T, but I would like to be able to hold it while I did my talk. I know that will depend on the species and that is being taken into consideration when I obtain my Ts. ...
Been there. Done that. Drank the water...

Here's a photo of my wife, Marguerite, at either a pet expo or a TARAS show.

That little, old grandmother sitting there and fondling those HUGE spiders was always a fantastic hit with the spectators! I cannot guess at how many people were pleasantly introduced to keeping tarantulas by that lady.

... Plus, I am a hands on person. I just want to touch. Can't help it. ...
Me too. I can't NOT TOUCH!

... @Pikaia: The reason for my opening line in this thread is that I read another thread about an advanced keeper complaining because the newbies were all asking the same questions about "boring" Ts. ...
Forgive us all, our sins. Some more than others.

As we become more knowledgeable and familiar with our pets we tend to become jaded and forget how we felt and reacted the very first time we had a chance to actually pet one on the tummy!

Be awed. Be VERY awed! And, never forget!

... I can't know everything in the 2 months I have been keeping Ts ...
A newbie?

[size=+2]HEY! EVERYONE LOOKY HERE! WE GOT ANOTHER NEWBIE![/SIZE]

Relax, naychur. I'm just having a little fun with you. I can do that. I'm older than you are! {D

Heck, I'm older than almost everybody on this forum! :eek:

So first, the pleasantries:

WELCOME TO THE HOBBY!

AND, WELCOME TO THIS FORUM!

Now, to get you started on the right foot, please read the following:

Stan's Rant - A little boost in the right direction. READ AND HEED THE WARNINGS! READ THE BOOKS!

Myths, Misconceptions, and Mistakes Perpetuated by Tarantula Enthusiasts - A growing list of bad information in the hobby. Explore all the links.

If you're considering getting a Chilean rose tarantula (Grammostola rosea) or already have one, you should also read

Care and Husbandry of the Chilean Rose Tarantula - How NOT to let your Chilean rose tarantula drive you to the funny farm!

Lastly, has no one ever told you about

[size=+1]THE TARANTULA ENTHUSIAST'S LAMENT[/SIZE]

LIKE THOSE POTATO CHIPS,

YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE!

You've been warned!

Enjoy your, little, 8-legged marvels!