-Wanna see P. pederseni eating fish?-

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Just don't use perch or something else with large spines on their backs (for obvious reasons)

Pajak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice. But I am not surprised - and glad to see how the spider looks with a fish in its mouth! Once when I was in a pet-shop the guy who ows it told me that . He told that in his opinion fish is recommnded for his spiders - he gives cricets only sometimes
I couldn't believe that, but now I am going to try to give them such food!

Darryl Albers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i am trying to remember the name of that tarantula that is the
only species that can swim , and has reportedly been seen hunting for small fish .
does anyone know ? :?

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What are remains when spider finish to eat fish ? Does it stink ?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Darryl Albers said:
i am trying to remember the name of that tarantula that is the
only species that can swim , and has reportedly been seen hunting for small fish .
does anyone know ? :?
The Hysterocrates gigas experiment ;)

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
jw73 said:
Should fish be alive ?
Hell yeah just dont give it to a sissy T

Anyone know if tetras are safe i got stacks an i h8 the things :evil:

Fince

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I try to make a basic guide, how to feed tarantulas with fish (it’s a very simple thing ).

I’ve been using fish to feed my tarantulas with for more than ten years. Several terrestrial tarantulas eat frog in the nature – that gave me the idea. I began to look for meat with similar consistency (the Hungarian conservationist laws protect frogs).

I feed from medium juvenile (sometimes smaller) to adult spiders with fish. For my spider’s fodder I use about 70% fish and 30% other (usually roaches).

I use freshwater fish only.

The terrestrial and burrower species like fish, the arboreal species are don’t (except for Poecilotherias…they usually do accept fish.)

You can use fishes which have strings, because tarantulas are external digestive animals and the splinters can’t hurt your spiders (the perch is a good idea, because it has a dry white meat of good quality ).

Advantages: contains a lot of protein and water (prevent dehydration), good fat and protein proportion, clear (no parasites inside), cheap, comfortable and considerable growth of the opisthosoma after feeding.

Let’s feed!

Method one (when the spider is hungry…):

Take a frozen fish, and cut it to an appropriate size (I don’t use pieces bigger than the spider’s opisthosoma). Put the pieces on blotting paper. Wait until the pieces are dissolved and put one on the spider’s favourite place. The spiders usually find the fish by themselves.

Method two-upgraded version :)) (when the spider is not so hungry…):

When the spider is not so hungry, it sometimes refuses non-moving food. We need to apply a trick. Take a piece of fish and thread a line across the fish with a needle (just like when fishing, but without the hook:) ). Knot it, and put the fish carefully in the spider’s cage near by the spider. Wait some seconds and pull it slowly on the ground (or shake it a little on the line). If you can, touch the tarsus hairs with the fish while „trolling” . The spider will strike.

I usually put a fish in the terrarium in the evening, and take out the remains next morning (or when the spider has finished eating). At the end only the scales and the fish-bones remain.

"Is it stinky?" - Usually not, but the bigger the spider the bigger piece of fish it gets and when the digestive enzymes meet with protein, you will feel some bad smell (Then I use Chinese/Indian fragrant smoker stick to conciliation the dead souls :)) ) I think this type of food is not stinkier than the mouse.

Important: After the eating, it is necessary to remove the remains of the fish immediately, because this remains are excellent breeding gound to mites and other micro-organisms.

What the Prizz said earlier: Bon appetit!

Last edited:

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very good description. I will try this method soon. It must be good for Ts. High protein, low fat etc.

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Fince:

Great methods, thanks for sharing. The photos are also awesome.

Cook Book: How to feed fishes to Ts á la Maestro Fince! :D

Fince

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LoL Prizz! {D

My cookery book's recipe at today:

Cut the fish filet into very thin pieces and put on the plate. Grate some chockolate on the top of it. Serve whole with roachsauce.

Bon appetit! :}

Last edited:

Bean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fince said:
Take a frozen fish, and cut it an appropriate size
Didn't your mother teach you to use a cutting board? :)

Thanks for the photo sequence!

HaloMiles

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What a gorgeous Tarantula! *rubs chin* I might just pick one of those up. A Pederseni is it? Beautiful creature, and great images!

Fince

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bean said:
Didn't your mother teach you to use a cutting board? :)

Thanks for the photo sequence!
:) Bean this is the fish cutter equipment.There all weapons free (especially for tarantulas {D )