Vinegaroon in Tennessee

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I post about this on here occasionally, I like to hear what others think. When I was very young, I think 7 years old, we were visiting family in Chatanooga TN. Me and my moms ex husband went for a walk in the morning because I wanted to explore around the creek and there was this concrete wall thing, on this wall I saw one of the weirdest bugs I had ever seen in my life and I didn't realize until years later what I saw was a Mastigoproctus. I've been lambasted on here before for making this claim, but I stand by it. I remember it vividly. I got into a huge argument on here some years ago with a member named hamfoto, he was diehard against this and he even claimed the species isn't even native to North America, said they are transplants from the Caribbean (ridiculous).

In 2024 I would like to hear everyones thoughts on this. I do still believe that I saw a vinegaroon that day and it makes me wonder how far north they occur than is officially accepted.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I post about this on here occasionally, I like to hear what others think. When I was very young, I think 7 years old, we were visiting family in Chatanooga TN. Me and my moms ex husband went for a walk in the morning because I wanted to explore around the creek and there was this concrete wall thing, on this wall I saw one of the weirdest bugs I had ever seen in my life and I didn't realize until years later what I saw was a Mastigoproctus. I've been lambasted on here before for making this claim, but I stand by it. I remember it vividly. I got into a huge argument on here some years ago with a member named hamfoto, he was diehard against this and he even claimed the species isn't even native to North America, said they are transplants from the Caribbean (ridiculous).

In 2024 I would like to hear everyones thoughts on this. I do still believe that I saw a vinegaroon that day and it makes me wonder how far north they occur than is officially accepted.
Where is the species native to according to science?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I believe I remeber this post/convo myself. I dont know of any documentation of Mastigoproctus east of the Missisippi river or north of Florida. But honestly I dont discount it, as populations can have holdouts. I have myself come across species that are "outside" the documneted range. These animals have a much longer history than we do in this country, and I think there can be a possibility there exist populations that have not been documented. The appalachian area has so many species still yet to be known by science!

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Where is the species native to according to science?
According to "science", southern USA and Mexico. But I feel like this is really understudied, because I can't find a 100% answer anywhere. Apparently they exist from Florida all the way to Arizona and Texas etc.

I believe I remeber this post/convo myself. I dont know of any documentation of Mastigoproctus east of the Missisippi river or north of Florida. But honestly I dont discount it, as populations can have holdouts. I have myself come across species that are "outside" the documneted range. These animals have a much longer history than we do in this country, and I think there can be a possibility there exist populations that have not been documented. The appalachian area has so many species still yet to be known by science!
On Wikipedia it says they're found all the way to Arizona, which surprises me because I never heard that before. IDK if its wrong info or what.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
On Wikipedia it says they're found all the way to Arizona, which surprises me because I never heard that before. IDK if its wrong info or what.
Yes that is absolutely true, Texas out to there and in Mexico. Then there’s M. floridanus in Florida.

But there’s is nothing documented east of Texas or north or Florida.(that I am aware of)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It’s possible I heard of a trap door in southern Ohio , and although I don’t live there I’ve seen large huntsman 5-6” one time middle of the state . Never seen any since but some tropical species can migrate north can’t say how long they survive here. So Tennessee is not that impossible, how cold is the winter there?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
According to "science", southern USA and Mexico. But I feel like this is really understudied, because I can't find a 100% answer anywhere. Apparently they exist from Florida all the way to Arizona and Texas etc.
science in quotes-- you don't believe the science? Or you feel it's not accurate?....

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I have checked the World Arachnid Catalog for the order Uropygi in the United States and iNaturalist and there have been no recorded observations of a Mastigoproctus species anywhere in the state of Tennessee. We would need more than a childhood memory to take the claim seriously. As for whether it is or isn't possible that a vinegaroon can occur in Tennessee is anyone's guess since the farthest north Mastigoproctus giganteus has occurred in is Oklahoma. Arachnids of all kinds seem to pop up in places one wouldn't expect them to, so keep those eyes open everyone.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Seems plausible. Especially with trade. Forestry and agriculture alone. If one witnesses it, document it :) many a species' range descriptions are notoriously lacking.

Science is little more than educated observation and theory. If one doesn't observe and document, it won't really be valid, scientifically. I saw a unicorn once when I was 3, but no photo. Your vinegaroon seems more likely, but I have a vivid memory of that 1 horned horse!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Seems plausible. Especially with trade. Forestry and agriculture alone. If one witnesses it, document it :) many a species' range descriptions are notoriously lacking.

Science is little more than educated observation and theory. If one doesn't observe and document, it won't really be valid, scientifically. I saw a unicorn once when I was 3, but no photo. Your vinegaroon seems more likely, but I have a vivid memory of that 1 horned horse!
or some crazy let there pet loose lol 😆

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Vinegaroons are known to wander inside buildings, so all it would take for this to happen is a vinegaroon crawling into a box or other cargo and ending up in a car headed to Tennessee. One time I even saw a post where someone found a vinegaroon near their suitcase after traveling.