Vinagroon hiding/not eating also could be hurt

Michael Stalker

Arachnopeon
I was given a vinegaroon scorpion set up a tank with jungle substrate a wood hide other wood to climb on heating pad on side of the tank. He has been in the hide 3 days never coming out and not eating. Any suggestions?

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are usually stay in their hides all the time. The go out of the hide sometimes at night. Try to feed it when it's dark outside. When did you get it? Let it settle down in the cage for about 6-7 days before you try to feed it...

Michael Stalker

Arachnopeon
I got him on Friday of last week he is missing his tail, i put a cricket in the cage the day i got him and the cricket is still skive

boina

Lady of the mites
Is this a joke? That's about the worst substrate you could use. This is a burrowing species, especially in winter. How is it supposed to burrow in something it cannot even walk on properly? Read this (post 2) and then you should really change your setup. Depending on what kind of bark chips you have in there it may even be toxic to the animal. Do not ever use this kind of substrate for inverts!

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay wow sorry i am new to this
The first thing you should do is do is read about the animal you’re going to get, before you’re getting it.
Now, replace all the substrate with pit soil. Mix it with a little bit of water and but in the tank 4-5 cm of this soil.
After you’ve done it, read a serious care sheet about vinegaroons.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Vinegaroon tends to be more of shy eaters, they usually have to feel surroundings before eating or attacking prey. If they are rehoused or put into new enclosure like yours, give it time to settle and feel the surroundings to get an idea. Sometimes they hide for a long time, that is normal. The reason is because they don't feel secure on the surface or there going into premolt. But when there hungry (they just attack without using feelers) and get used to the enclosure, they will start to explore outside more. And yes, the substrate is not good for burrowing. Its best to use coco fiber for basics of substrate. Never had a vinegaroon, but I know someone who is very skilled in having one. Might get one someday, but tight budget is my problem.

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a lot of vinegaroons in the past few year. I've managed to breed them too.
Don't worry if it's not eating every week. During the cooler months I feed them every 2-3 weeks, and in the summer every week. Just throw a cricket inside his cage and it will find it soon or later...
But you have to replace this substrate before feeding it...

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are tropical animals. They need high humidity. You have to use another substrate. Use pit soil or coco soil...