Vietnamese Scorpions???

Dreadwraven

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One of my good friends at school moved to the states when he was in high school, and I recently got him and a bunch of other friends into the invert hobby.

He said that back in Vietnam, when they dug their wells, they would bring up huge, he estimates at about 14", scorpions from about 50' underground or so. If this is true, I am not aware of this species.

I assumed that it was just his youth making things seem larger than they are, but at the same time, I would like to believe him.

Any clue as to the species they encountered at least?

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
dunno but if there's a 14" scorp i'm willing to get into a fight for one :drool:
he sure it isn't just a forest species that he's making seem bigger? show him a pic of a heterometrus sp.

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like a tall tale to me. Heterometrus laoticus comes from Vietnam and they get pretty big. Maaaaybe 7-8" but 14 inches is too big no matter how you measure it. I have a few pics of my H. laoticus under the thread "another Heterometrus ID" but it's still young and only about 4 inches.

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
a 14" scorp? ill take 2 please.. and i want fries with that

Xerotolerance

Arachnopeon
Put me down for 2 also. Think you could train scorps that big to be like guard dogs?

Mike

Dreadwraven

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was figuring it was just a projection of a memory from when he was younger, but man, that would be something to see. Thanks guys, and or, gals!

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
one thing is for sure ... the power of getting stung by something that size would have to feel like getting hit with a jackhammer. ill volunteer to take the first hit if you can get me such a specimen.

arachnoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyone hear the story of the 11" swammerdami caught sometime around WWII?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
he probably meant 14cm....

thats still very big for an H.lao

some WC H.spinifer can definately reach that size though; its an impressive size for a scorp; claws as thick as a crab!!