Vietnamese centipede help??

ruckaisawesome

Arachnosquire
I just got a new vietnamese centipede... after month of searching at different petshops.:biggrin: I know some basic necessities to keep it such as high humidity and thick substrate for burrowing, but there's very few info about care for these guys. I have a few questions about keeping them...
1) My House is very cold...around 16-20 C, is it ok if i leave my undertank heater under the tank? or do i have to move it to the side?
2) How many crickets should i feed to my pede each feeding per week?
3) does it need a cave to hide in? I have one for it but It's a bit too big for tank
5) do I need a water dish?

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey there, I'll help as much as I can.
1) With the heating pads, you always want it on the side to keep from burning your centipede.
2) I'm not sure about the feeding.
3) If the substrate is thick enough for it to submerge fully and comfortable move around in without it skimming the top of it, it doesn't. Otherwise, yes, it would need a hide.
4) Yes, what I see most people do is get a longer, but shallow-ish water dish and fill it with pebbles, then fill it with water so it doesn't drown.
Good luck!

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All my Pedes that are 5" and above get 1 cricket a week,2 for those 7" and above

RB40

Arachnopeon
Is that Louisville ,KY.? If so I'm also from KY, and I have a Vietnamese pede. My room stays about 70-74 deg. and I have no problems with mine without a heating pad. She or he is about 7 inches and I keep it with about 3 inches deep of moist, not wet Eco Earth, and I feed either 1 dubia or 2 adult crickets a week. If you don't have a hide they usually just bury in the subsrate, but mine likes to stay under a piece of cork bark. For a water dish I use a top off a coffee jar without the rocks or pebbles because it's easier to clean out, and there is no way a 7" pede is going to drown in that. I also work in Louisville and the weather (Temp & Hum.) is about the same also were I live. RB40

ruckaisawesome

Arachnosquire
Is that Louisville ,KY.? If so I'm also from KY, and I have a Vietnamese pede. My room stays about 70-74 deg. and I have no problems with mine without a heating pad. She or he is about 7 inches and I keep it with about 3 inches deep of moist, not wet Eco Earth, and I feed either 1 dubia or 2 adult crickets a week. If you don't have a hide they usually just bury in the subsrate, but mine likes to stay under a piece of cork bark. For a water dish I use a top off a coffee jar without the rocks or pebbles because it's easier to clean out, and there is no way a 7" pede is going to drown in that. I also work in Louisville and the weather (Temp & Hum.) is about the same also were I live. RB40

Yes, Im in louisville kentucky...mine is also around 7 inches..what do you mean by moist though? I used aspen and moss substrate for mine and i soak it in water before putting it into the tank. Is that too much? Also, Does it ever cling to the bark when you lift the bark up?? my scorpion did that before and stung me.. I dont want the same to happen with this pede

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When you grab a handful of substrate, squeeze it. If water drips out, it's too wet. If it feels wet and doesn't seep water when you squeeze, it's good.